“Bebek Bengil - specialized Duck restaurant”
Review of Bebek Bengil

Bebek Bengil
Ranked #66 of 208 Restaurants in Nusa Dua
Cuisines: Asian, Indonesian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Buderim, Australia
“Bebek Bengil - specialized Duck restaurant”
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

The Dirty Duck is really Bebek Bengil. It is one of three restaurants, the others being in Ubud and Jakarta. The Ubud restaurant is famous as a restaurant focussing on "duck". I am not aware of how long the Jakarta restaurant has been in operation but I suspect it also is famous, given the two large tables of obviously affluent Jakarta Chinese when we visited.

We believe this restaurant opened about February 2012 and we visited then as now. Service is much improved. It surprised us that there were no wines offered.

You go to this restaurant to eat duck. More precisely, you order their signature crispy half duck with Indonesian vegetables and condiments. You may need to increase your cholesterol medication after the event but there is a lot of satisfaction in tearing a duck to pieces and crunching both meat and bones. The attending spices are strong and, if you are not used to real Indonesan spices ( not to be found in tourist restaurants ), take care and wash it down with copious quantities of Bier Bintang or agua.

The fact that most of the many patrons appeared to be Indonesian was refreshing. It is similar to going to an Indan restaurant in a Western country and finding that most of the diners are of Indian origin- it must be good.

Many more diners need to eat here to obtain a comprehensive assessment

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Narrabeen, Australia
“No service”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We had just walked by and decided to stop in and have a drink and some snacks.
We ordered a beer and a wine to start. My partner received his beer and then some ten minutes later they told me they did not have the wine I ordered and so I decided on a different one. Meanwhile my partners beer is almost gone. Well we waited and waited and watched a few rats run by and no one ever came back, not to check on us, to bring me my wine or to deliver our check. We just left the money for the beer and left. Won't go back

• Visited July 2012