“Fantastic by Bali standards but not by international standards.”
Review of Beji Ubud Resort

Beji Ubud Resort
Ranked #47 of 612 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I am inclined to agree with Carowilk, a few reviews before this one. We also really wanted to love this hotel because there is so much that is great about it but sometimes the little things DO matter and those little things can add up to be disappointing, especially when you pay less for a more superior hotel that you stay at before or after this one.

First of all, the AMAZING pools! There are 5 in the hotel, a so so one near rooms at the front of the hotel, a lovely little one near other rooms in the middle of the property, one near the reception/restaurant, a narrow long one right outside our room and the main one right down the back of the hotel looking straight over the lush green valley. The last three are all infinity pools, all pools are made of dark slate making them look very cool and inviting in the hot weather. Infinity pools are just gorgeous full stop but being right on the edge of the valley and looking out at that, really was spectacular.

The resort is quite quiet and peaceful, you can hear birds often and we felt so lucky to see some fireflies when we were in the pool at night! The rooms are well away from the road so there is no traffic noise either.

The hotel was well maintained, with lovely gardens containing tropical plants, our room was nicely furnished, really large, very light and very clean. The security guards in the stand at the entrance were always smiling and saying hello.

Now for the negatives.....

There is no safe in the rooms, this was a concern for us because we don't want to carry our passports or large amounts of exchanged or non-exchanged money on us, so we had to lock this in our suitcase and just trust that it would be fine there.

The television was an old box style tv, these just look so dated and out of place now, and in a place like Bali, where DVD's are probably their biggest shopping item, we kind of expect a DVD player but the tv probably doesn't even support one.

The most difficult thing about the room was the shower. It wasn't one. It was a bath with a hand held shower head that was secured at bath tap level, so we either had an awkward half bath half shower sitting down or my boyfriend stood on the edge of the bath and held the showerhead up while I showered and vice versa.

The hotel doesn't provide fashwashers in the room and the bathroom needs a shelf or more shelving for bathroom products as the sink is just a sink and doesn't hold any more than toothpaste and a toothbrush so everything else has to stay in the bag or go on the floor. There is a little stool in the bathroom so we used that to put items on, but it was still pretty small so just made it difficult unnecessarily.

The bed was REALLY creaky. Just sitting on the edge of the bed it practically screamed. The mattress and pillows were really comfortable, although they only provide one pillow each they were happy to bring us two more when we requested them, but the bedframes need replacing, they are just too old or unstable or something. Rolling over in bed wakes the other person up, so anything other than laying perfectly still in bed really is out of the question!!

Breakfast was REALLY ordinary, we only ate it there once even though it was included. I had the pancake, which really is just that, one pancake, on the plate, no garnishing, nothing. My other half had the eggs, tomato and bacon with toast. The toast came out first. Then a plate with two eggs, two small pieces of bacon, and two tomato halves came out. All very unceremonious and it was pretty obvious that presentation of food hasn't registered with them. It was all rather boring really so we found some lovely places for breakfast for our next 3 mornings and were much happier. I noticed that the breakfast we had in the hotel restaurant was $13US which was ridiculous, I don't know that anyone would be pleased with that price if they actually paid for it and it wasn't included!!!

I found out the hard way that when you check in and they ask to see your credit card, they "hold" $160AUD or so on the card, meaning you can't access this money, and they refund it when you leave. I was not told about this when they took my card, I handed it over without thinking because on my Agoda.com booking voucher it said the hotel will want to see the card that the reservation was booked with. After realising that money was missing a few days later and on trying to establish if this is indeed what happened, the language barrier became apparent. I have no issues with language barriers usually because I don't speak a second language so someone that does, even if badly, still impresses me, but when it comes to a problem with money and no one understands English enough to be able to sort out my problem it can be very frustrating. I ended up just walking away when I just kept getting nods and smiles and thinking I would have to sort it with my bank when I got home, but magically, after we checked out, the money was returned to the card. It was the only time I had handed over this card in the last month so it couldn't have been anything else. If it is a requirement of staying there that is fine, but should be either on their website or at least told to you on check in.

The hotel is well out of town but it is only a 20,000IDR ride away. No taxis in Ubud, it is all transport you bargain for so this amount will suffice in both directions to the town centre, unless you want to go somewhere on Monkey Forest Road from the hotel because it is a one way street you can only get to it going the long way around so is probably more of a 30,000 trip.

Even though it is out of town you will start getting asking for "transport?" from about a block towards town from the hotel on both sides of the road, otherwise it is is about a half hour walk mostly downhill into the centre.

I highly recommed "Caroline Massage Therapy" that is on the other side of the road, on the same street, about 5 minutes walk towards town. I got two 90 minute massages there and being a former massage therapist, I recognised a lot of her strokes so was really happy with the lady I had having been trained, not just given a job and told to go for it. And 90 minutes is only 80,000, that is insane to me, so terribly cheap and so terribly worth it!!!!

Have a look at my restaurant reviews, we had some amazing dining experiences in Ubud that I want to share, they are too good to miss!

Overall yes, I would recommend this hotel to friends but with the warnings as above so it was expected, or not expected as the case may be. I think the safe, tv, bathroom shelving, showerhead and bed need to be upgraded/amended because they are just not good enough. As was mentioned in a previous review, they ran out of pool towels very quickly but from what we could tell, there were only about 8 other people staying at the hotel at the same time so that's a bit of a worry, and just go buy some more towels to have on hand!!!

I think this hotel definitely was nice, and as mentioned in the title, great by Bali standards but not by international standards, especially seeing it cost more than our Legian accommodation which was of a much higher standard. I wouldn't stay here again unless the negatives were fixed but I will definitely remember the pools with a dreamy reflection!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Summergirl77

Reviewed 6 February 2011

The view from this resort is excellent, typical Ubud view that you wouldn't wanna miss. The room is clean, good water pressure on the shower, there are a few swimming pools available in this resort and they are all clean. The staffs are friendly and the owner is extremelly friendly and this makes you feel like home. Just a few meters walk, there are a few bars and restaurants available.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We stayed at Beji Ubud for 6 nights over Christmas. We really wanted to love this hotel, and there were lots of great things about it, but there were also things that in the end really let it down. With a few improvements it really could be an amazing place.

The Beji was in a stunning location outside the hustle and bustle of central Ubud,
the pools (5 of them - one with a great diving plank for the kids!) and garden were so beautiful and immaculately kept, the rooms were nice and clean, the free wifi was good and the staff on the whole were very friendly.

However, there were some aspects of our stay that were disappointing.

Our airport pickup was over an hour late, despite reconfirming details. There was no apology at all and we were fully charged.

The service was pretty inconsistent, despite the overall friendliness – things like constantly running out of towels at the pool, taking ages to respond to requests, serving everyone’s meals at different times – easily fixed with better staff training and organization.

The food in the restaurant was average. There are however plenty of good dining alternatives very close by – from inexpensive (Fly Café, West End, Naughty Nuris) to expensive (Moziac).

As others have mentioned the shuttle times were very limited and there was no return during the day (except for the same time as the drop off in Ubud in the morning!). However it was very easy to find a driver to drive us back – at around 20,000 rupiah.

Other improvements would be providing a safe in the rooms and fixing up the inconsistent hot water.

The most disappointing aspect of our stay however was the deliberate attempt to overcharge us with our room rate when checking out (we changed room types during our stay). So check your bill thoroughly and be prepared to hold your ground. We were lied to about the rates even when referring to the hotel website and were then told it was not possible to change the rate in the computer!! Not a pleasant final impression unfortunately.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2011

good restaurant with good breakfast choices; lovely pools, great views, quiet. Helpful staff. great value.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The room we had was absolutely stunning for the price we paid. Frangipanis were laid delicately on the bed and the utmost care was taken to make the room comfortable as well as luxurious. Little clay pots held shampoo, conditioner and body milk in the bathroom and even the tissue boxes had little Indonesian style carvings covering them. The room had it's own balcony, overlooking the amazing tropical jungle, as well as a private loft area where we could spend sunsets overlooking the jungle. You could hear the river below which just added to the beauty and peacefulness of the place. We woke up every morning to the distant crowing of roosters greeting the incredible sunrise over the trees.
The hotel really over does it in the pool department with 5 pools being available. We never even got to more than two of them with so much to do and see in Ubud, but we were amazed at the couple we did swim in. They were the sort of pools that one only dreams of with the pool seemingingly flowing over the edge and into the jungle below.
The restaurant food was scrumptious, fresh and no request was ever to much trouble. The staff were just lovely and always eager to please, and as in traditional Balinese custom always smiling. Even the manager smiled and joked with us making us feel right at home.
The location was just beautiful and it was in very short walking distance to not only the best ribs place you will ever find but also an array of incredible spas where you could pamper away the stresses of life.
Ubud really embodies the true Balinese experience and unlike Kuta, tradition and culture oozes out of every person and building here. The hotel is no exception to the rule and with it's pretty rooftops, stunning gardens and ornamental walkways every moment you spend here is spent in pure bliss.
After spending 12 nights in Kuta and only 4 nights in Ubud, the only regret we had was not staying longer!!!! We will most definetly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple