“Surpassed Expectations”

and 1 more site!
Alam Jiwa
Ranked #56 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 2 October 2009

I cannot say enough good things about this little gem we discovered in Ubud. We were trying to stay at a sister hotel called the Alam Indah but it was full. We paid a little more to get the casuary room and it was worth it. For our honeymoon it was a delight. The service was excellent, the views were stunning and it was so relaxing. Our large room overlooked a rice paddy and the jungle sounds were the only noise. No tv, no phone - just a lovely nap on our outside veranda in our double resting day bed - covered in our lace net. We walked to town through the monkey forest and had a great time buying goods in Ubud. We went to their restaurant in town - Cafe Wayan and it was excellent. Good price and great atmosphere. They called the hotel and a driver pick us up after dinner and took us home. The hotel arranged river rafting for us with a local company which was so much fun. The breakfast, which is included, was the best banana pancake i have ever had. The staff are very professional, kind and helpful. The pool is a dream and a great way to relax after walking around Ubud. We are still in Bali on our honeymoon but I could not wait to write about this great place. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ldewit7

Reviewed 3 September 2009

Tucked out of the way down a narrow lane this series of 3 storey buildings of lovely Bali architecture, give a floor each to the guests. Massive palatial balconies overlooking rice fields and good furnishings make it a most memorable stay. Nothing is to much trouble for the staff , even though they do not cater on site they will take an order and get it for you from a nearby restaurant.
One of the best places we have ever stayed we loved it!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Back in Bali for a relaxing week away from Singapore. My first time at Alam Jiwa and I greatly enjoyed it, although it's rather a distance from Ubud, it proved to be what I needed, especially as Ubud's become a little hectic in the center now. This hotel has real character and one casn forgive it the few gripes one might have. I spent the final few days down by the beach in Sanur at La Taverna, a hotel I've previously reviewed, which is also full of character. It's nice to know Bali still has great places to stay and I'm looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Subarite
Reviewed 30 June 2009

I used the internet to book a three night stay. The website made me sign up for a booking service with password etc., all of which was cumbersome. But I got an e-mail confirmation with a reservation number and "thank you for your reservation" language. A few months later (a week before our trip) I clicked on the link that said to check the status of the reservation, only to find out that my reservation indicated "waitlist." What? I thought I had a "reservation!" I called Indonesia and explained the situation. They told me they had sent me an e-mail two days later to let me know the hotel was booked. What?? If it was booked why would the reservation service tell me all those rooms were available and then give me a "reservation number?" I never got the e-mail (it may have been sent to my spam folder). But in any event, the booking service told me they had sent me a list of other hotels they could book for me instead. I asked them to go ahead and check on other hotels, and so far, they still haven't gotten back to me. This left me scrambling at the last minute to find an alternative hotel on my own. The hotel may well be lovely, but I'll never know, because the reservation system sucks!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank MarleenLee
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Rare is it that you will find a hotel that oozes character and fits into its natural surroundings as well as Alam Jiwa does. Add in reasonable prices and an incredibly friendly staff that is eager to please and you have a package that is hard to beat. Staying at Alam Jiwa does require some trade-offs, though in my opinion they are trade-offs worth making.

The hotel is situated on the south side of Ubud and is surrounded by rice fields. Ubud town is about a 20-30 minute walk away via the Monkey Forest or about 10 minutes by car. The walk through the Monkey Forest is worth doing at least once, though there is a path on the outside that is free (and monkey free). This represents the first trade-off you must make ... sacrificing close proximity to town but, in return, getting a beautiful natural setting that looks out over rice fields, lush landscaping and a stream. At night, the sounds of the rushing stream, croaking frogs and bugs buzzing in the fields are just fantastic.

We arrived around 3am and were happy to see our driver waiting outside baggage claim, just as the hotel promised. It was about a 40 minute ride back to the hotel. We were shown to our room ('Gelatik') and were pleased to find fresh fruit waiting for us. They were kind enough to have the two beds pushed together for my wife and I. A mosquito net can be pulled around the bed, which was great ... we could keep the balcony door cracked at night for the sounds (see above) and not have to worry about getting eaten by bugs. Though I believe a few of their rooms feature a true shower, our large bathroom was limited to a tub only. Not a big deal, though I usually find it hard to contort my body well enough to spray off with the hose. The rooms at the hotel were beautiful, featuring traditional Balinese design and local natural materials. The rooms did not have TV or internet access, though you can ask to use the computer in the office if you need to check email. The lack of TV was fine with us

Each night the staff would ask for your breakfast order. Though you can eat it in the open dining area near the office, we always chose to have it delivered to our room. It was really nice treat to have breakfast while sitting on the balcony watching the sun rise over the rise fields. Breakfast was great, with fresh juice, bread, yoghurt/fruit, coffee/tea, and choice of eggs, pancake or jaffle. No other meals are available at the hotel, though there is a free daily tea/coffee and cake between 2:00 - 6:00pm.

The staff was really wonderful and they were eager to help whenever you needed it. They helped us hire a car/driver for the day on a few occasions and were always available to drive you into town or pick you up. This was especially helpful as we were there during the rainy season. The hotel grounds were just beautiful, with moss-covered statues, lush landscaping and a fantastic pool area. Offerings placed throughout the property and burning incense only added to the appeal.

Alam Jiwa is a unique hotel in a unique place. Once again, I have found a great hotel with the help of TripAdvisor!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank StrudelMonkey