All reviews shindu room dewi room yamuna room monkey forest lake leke afternoon tea rice fields day bed private pool each morning upstairs room free shuttle huge room fish pond shuttle service traditional balinese style central ubud
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Alam Shanti is quiet, well located and has very large rooms with terraces. For a three star hotel it is very good. However, I had organised an airport transfer in advance which never eventuated. We were left waiting at the airport until we phoned about 30 mins after we arrived to be told they didnt know if a car was coming for us and to phone them back in 15 minutes(?) We rang them back only to be told to get an airport taxi. Not ideal when you are travelling with children. I got over this inconvenience, however when we arrived there was no apology and not even a smile! We had booked Laksmi and Saraswati for 5 nights as we have two children. In my opinion the room set up is not ideal for children under 12, as each bedroom is on a different floor and there is independent access to each room - therefore if you are in your room at night, you would have no idea if someone is creeping around upstairs. Your only option is to padlock your children in at night from the outside, but if there is an issue eg they get scared or heaven forbid a fire or some sort of safety problem they could never get out to come downstairs by themselves and would have to wait for you to come and unpadlock their verandah and then unpadlock their room . Call me paranoid or that I have Maddy McCann syndrome but we ended up splitting up so that one adult had one child in each room, I could then have piece of mind when I slept. This potential issue was not pointed out to me when I booked. If you didnt use the padlocks, then the only other lock available was a piece of wood. As the rooms are so large with terraces, we would have been much better off and managed far better with just one room, however this was not recommended to me when booking nor room configurations/issues pointed out. If we had just one room it would have been exceptional value. We used the shuttle service to ubud about three times, this was generally good except we were left waiting for an hour in the street one evening after a dance performance when the driver went straight past us. Apart from these issues I only have good things to say - the breakfasts and afternoon teas were lovely and the swimming pool was very clean. Generally I would say Alam Shanti would be better for couples.

Room Tip: To get any room you need to book well in advance.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

This was our 25th anniversary and my husband's 60th birthday celebration, so we wanted something really special and comfortable. We chose the Alam Shanti based on the rave reviews of close friends and Trip Advisor guests. It was tranquil, gorgeous, convenient, and the staff could not have been more helpful. Our Purwati room was private, out in the rice field, spacious, and the breakfasts were delicious and ample. If it were available, I would probably choose the room just above the Purwati for more of a cross-breeze. Our driver, Ketut Sudana, at balitransport@aol.com was kind, helpful, and a reflection of the graciousness of the Balinese. A highlight was the lunch we enjoyed at his home (SPICY!!) The spa at the Alam Shanti was wonderful and it is just a few minutes walk to the Monkey Forest. We'd stay there again and hire Ketut in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for the room above Purwati for cool breezes, privacy, wonderful views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank judythr
Reviewed 14 July 2011

we loved loved loved it here! My boyfriend and I had the Saraswati room and couldnt beleive all of it was ours for $75 a night! The gardens and surrounds are serene and beautiful. We came back each night with our lights turned on and mosquito coils lit. Breakfast was brought to our verandah everymorning and was very tasty! We loved the pool.. always had it to ourselves. We had a scooter so took the motorbike path through the monkey forest to get to town (taking all of two minutes). It was great being out of town yet still so close to it! We used the shuttle bus once to go out to dinner which was a great service to have available. If you want a true ubud experience in beautiful luxurious surroundings, stay here.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bminus
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We were blown away by this resort, it really is a home away from home. We staying in the new house which consisted of upstairs (Gayatri) for the kids and downstairs (Purwati) for Mum and Dad. They each have separate entries, so not suitable for littlies upstairs, but great for teenagers. The furnishings are fabulous, with all the little touches of home, and none of the starkness that can sometimes go with a hotel room. We had breakfast each morning delivered to us on the downstairs verandah and this is where we had afternoon tea as well.

The resort is located within an easy walk to the Monkey Forest and Monkey Forest Road, though this is a little scary at night time. We used the bike path, just off to the right hand side of Monkey Forest Road. A torch is supplied in your room for walking at night, and you really do need it as it is very dark at night. The resort is located in a sleepy village that is beautifully maintained and lovely to walk around in the early morning.

This resort is quiet, beautifully maintained with friendly staff and you would hardly know that other people are there, as we rarely saw anybody, though the resort was full. Each house has it's own space and is very private. Their is a lovely pool for the main resort, just opposite reception and another private pool for two of the houses. The breakfasts were great, the kids really loved the jaffles and my favourite was the banana pancakes.

I would stay here again in a hearbeat, and in fact cannot wait to book my next trip.

Room Tip: All rooms are great
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank BrisbanyLizzy
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Well our fourth return to Alam Shanti in as many years 3 words" Ah The Serenity"
This time we stayed in the new GAYATRI. How beautiful. Although a small walking distance from reception we never once had any problems with breakfast delivery or any other small request we had.
What a wonderous view. We were lucky enough that the Rice was being harvested at this time, we had much pleasure watching the labourers cutting and threshing the rice, 3 paddies done in record time. As my husband speaks fluent bahasa indonesian the barriers were dropped and we had quite a few laughs with them.
Recommended must do"s whilst in UBUD,
Bali Biak Ride
Jazz Cafe
Laughing Budha Bar
Ibu Rai for beautiful food
Warung Enak also for beautiful food
Lake Leke for also for beautiful food
We walked everyday into Ubud through the monkey forest no problem at all, and the shuttle was always on time for when we needed to come home or to go out later in the evening.
As for the rooster early in the morning, add the ducks and the gheckos, why complain just adds to the atmosphere.
My last comment, once a year is not enough. ONE POWER BALL!!!!
See you in May 2012 love Ibu Jan and Pak Simon Perth WA