“Beautiful and great value”
Review of Alam Shanti

Alam Shanti
Ranked #76 of 200 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Yamuna room, huge but still charming and beautifully decorated. 2 kids had each their bed, so big they ended up sharing one... Monkeys came to visit and steal the afternoon cakes in total serenity in front of us, the kids won't forget their style! Breakfast was good with delicious crepes.
Nyuhkuning is not too far from Ubud but choices for food are limited when travelling with children (we waited 40 minutes for a lunch at the cafe just by the Alam Shanti entrance), and walking at night through the forest is not an option with them... However, i thought the guest house was an amazing place with a very particular style ; we found a certain nonchalance there, and we were surprised not to see a woman in the team when we were there!
I just wish they could have found a driver with more knowledge of the area, as i was disappointed by a trip to Mas : I specifically asked for places where i would find quality masks and statues, they responded yes of course, and i realised when it was too late that the driver had no idea at all where to go. Disappointing for a locally owned place with such a high level of recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie R

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Before I start, if anyone has any questions about the Laksmi and Saraswati rooms - feel free to ask, only too happy to help out.

Stayed in Garden House – had Laksmi and Saraswati rooms. Our sensible 11 yo stayed in Laksmi on the ground floor; security is really good here, so no worries. It’s located in a small village called Nyuhkuning (Nee UH Kun Ing) so very few passers-by. Quiet, beautiful and discreetly run. Had to book a year in advance to get the whole house for five nights. For the price both rooms are sensational. Some folk have complained the Laksmi is a dreadful room, but no complaints here; plenty of room with a nice huge bathroom. It’s hand held showers in both rooms, and the latticing above the windows has no glass, so mozzies are present but mozzie nets around the beds efficient and the Saraswati has a day bed with mozzie nets and reading lights, so that became our reading area at dusk.

Free shuttle absolutely fabulous, although how long it takes for them to get to you is seriously dependant on the traffic in town which can be hellish especially during the day. Alternatively you can walk into town via a moped alley at the bottom of Monkey Forest Road 10 minutes, but it is unlit with regular moped traffic. Don’t forget to ask for your free of charge afternoon tea, plenty of folk either forgot or didn’t know about it. No sign of any monkeys, in the resort or in town; other years (2008 & 2006) they were everywhere; I know the island has a serious rabies problem but was only aware of the culling of unlicensed dogs.

This is not a five star resort and nor should it be. The wildlife and insects are also guests, and yes the frog watching me do my yoga on the huge balcony was distracting, but wonderful at the same time.

Most of the other info I could give you is written in other reviews. Happy to answer any questions anyone has; just message me.

Would got back tomorrow given time and funds.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Holidayonastick
Reviewed 1 June 2012

There is a reason why Alam Shanti has gotten the accolades from those who have been there. And what better way for me to discover this than to stay over at the property.

My wife and I had recently spent 3 nights here in the Laksmi room, and I'm struggling to put our amazing experience into mere words.

For starters, when we arrived, we were treated to the best ever welcome drink, which was a blend of fruit juices. The staff were welcoming, especially Wayang who took his time to answer all of our questions thrown at him, and he does it with a constant smile.

Laksmi was one of the smallest room in the property. But as the larger rooms were better suited for families with kids, or group members of more than a couple, Laksmi gave us the perfect space we needed and it was roomy for just the 2 of us.

When we discovered there was no tv in our room, we paused for a moment to think of the shows we will miss out on. Now, we are thankful for the experience, as we got to replace the sounds of tv with nature, and the many conversations we had that filled our nights. Certainly, the wifi signal in our rooms were good, so keeping in touch with the happenings back home was easy with our Macbook.

Breakfast served here was just delightful. The pancake we had was yummy, and if you're craving for something local, they offered Indonesian fried rice which was just as good. And the fruit juices here simply cannot get any fresher.

Afternoon tea was served daily from 3pm to 6pm. You get to choose between Balinese coffee or from a range of teas, which was accompanied by a slice of cake of the day. And the sounds of birds singing and trees dancing were constantly our soundtrack to our afternoons. Amazing.

The body massage we had at their affiliated spa Alam Wangi was very good, especially given that the massage rooms were located next to the hotel's swimming pool. Very convenient and truly Balinese.

The best touch we discovered was the complimentary shuttle-on-demand provided by the hotel to Ubud town. Getting to and back from town has never been easier and all thanks to this special service. The drivers even offered to take our shopping bags back to the hotel, as he stopped us midway for our dinner at a restaurant. We could dine without having those bags as a burden to the rest of our evening. The shuttle service starts in the morning and ends by 1030pm daily.

We also got the hotel to book us a half-day tour to the Tegalalang rice field and a few temples for only USD40. It was good to feel safe with our driver, knowing that he was an employee of Alam Shanti.

We may have left Alam Shanti, but Alam Shanti has never left us. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: For couples, Laksmi or Saraswati offers sufficient space around the room. The larger rooms are perfe...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SwirlingTraveller
Reviewed 26 May 2012

This was the question I was trying to find out when I booked this property 8 months in advance.
The answer is definately Yumuna on the ground floor. I looked at the Gangga inbetween guests and Yamuna is bigger, you dont have to climb the steps and best of all you can lay on the day bed on your private verandah and watch the kids in the pool to the left or straight out to the rice feilds.
We stayed 5 nights 12-17th May, my 3 kids aged 9-15 had the best time. Reading the review two down I would like to apologise, from your neighbours from Sydney to my Singapore friends for any excess noise, but I am glad to hear we were not all that bad!...and now I know what all that screaming I could hear one night was all about!!
Even though there was not TV the pool made up for it and this place was so "eat, pray, love", it was SO relaxing and I would definately come back to stay at the Alam Shanti again, by far the best place I have ever stayed.
We had a monkey we called George visit us daily, one day he ran into our room and helped himself to our welcome fruit and ate it on the verandah.. an amazing animal encounter .
Thanks to all the staff for the amazing service and my 12 year old son sums it up when after a few nights here he looked at me and he said "mum I feel like a king!"

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2012

We spent 4 wonderful days at Alam Shanti. We loved the beautiful gardens, the charming rooms and the fabulous breakfasts and afternoon tea served to us on our verandah overlooking the rice fields.One morning we even had monkeys on our verandah trying to crack open a coconut.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple