“The cutest, loveliest, friendliest little hotel in the world!”
Review of Alam Shanti

Alam Shanti
Ranked #74 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed at the Alam Shanti in Ubud as part of our honeymoon trip to Bali in November 2011
It's a small, very charming guesthouse made up of a few old colonial houses that have been converted to upstairs/downstairs suites.

We had the Shindu room and were blown away buy how pretty it was. Big chunky, antique furniture, a stunning outdoor bathroom and a beautiful four poster bed. All this set in stunning gardens with geckos running around the place.

The outside bathroom was amazing and definitely an experience. My wife was joined in the shower by a rather friendly frog one morning - something both he and my other half would never forget!

The service at the Alam Shanti is first rate and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

The hotel is a 5 minute stroll from the Monkey Forest which is a great place to sit and watch the little critters monkeying around! Ubud town (village?!) itself is just a short walk to the other side of the forest.

Afternoon tea on our terrace was lovely and the breakfasts were tasty and plentiful.

If you get a chance, try the cooking lesson at the Laka Leke restaurant - it's a great way to spend a few hours in the afternoon and the food was delicious.

This place has to be the loveliest hotel we've ever stayed at and was the perfect place for us to visit on our honeymoon.

If you get the chance to stay here, I can thoroughly recommend it. You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: The Shindu room is amazing
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DanHockley

Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at Alam Shanti for one night after staying at Alam Indah. We found good quality, delicious breakfasts, friendly staff, comfortable and clean room. The location was very quiet, there were monkeys on our doorstep (literally). The pool was a bit of a walk from our room, but it wasnt a problem. Our room looked out over rice/paddy garden. Only problem we had was that i got extremely ill from eating at the Laka Leki restaraunt (duck smoked/slow cooked overnight). We ate here on 3 occassions and it was only on the 3rd time we had a problem. The entertainment at the restaurant is fabulous (dances), the grounds are beautiful, and they have friendly staff, the food is even super tasty - but yeah, just a shame about the salmonella poisoning from the duck :/ Laka Leki is owned by the Alam Indah/Shanti and is just down the road. Overall i would recommend this place, just think twice about ordering the smoked duck :/

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Bugged_Rich
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Alam Shanti has so many reviews, and here goes another. Yes the grounds are every bit as beautiful and more.The attention to detail in my room (Narmada) was amazing. On entrance through the large balcony passing the tall white bunch of flowers to the left of the huge wooden doors, your bedroom awaits you. An owl sits high and faces the door to keep you safe, the site of the entrance to the bathroom is so enchanting. The high ceilings with beautiful carved beams, the detailed art above my bed where the mosquito net lies. Not just one display of flowers.. many, at night the staff place mosquito coils at the entrance to your room,the beautiful breakfast and so much more." yes this is bliss".
However I have to be honest and say the only thing that i found disappointing was the greeting and the departure, the two male older reception staff seem over it, i have travelled to bali for over 20 years and i felt that it probably was the unfriendliest greeting i have had. Don't get me wrong I don't want people jumping up and down, i just mean the vibe. The boy that showed me to my room walked me to the front door and that was it, he did not show me anything in my room, ordered room service once from Lake Leke one night and it arrived stone cold and i could not eat.

Other than that this place is not to be missed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Yamuna room, huge but still charming and beautifully decorated. 2 kids had each their bed, so big they ended up sharing one... Monkeys came to visit and steal the afternoon cakes in total serenity in front of us, the kids won't forget their style! Breakfast was good with delicious crepes.
Nyuhkuning is not too far from Ubud but choices for food are limited when travelling with children (we waited 40 minutes for a lunch at the cafe just by the Alam Shanti entrance), and walking at night through the forest is not an option with them... However, i thought the guest house was an amazing place with a very particular style ; we found a certain nonchalance there, and we were surprised not to see a woman in the team when we were there!
I just wish they could have found a driver with more knowledge of the area, as i was disappointed by a trip to Mas : I specifically asked for places where i would find quality masks and statues, they responded yes of course, and i realised when it was too late that the driver had no idea at all where to go. Disappointing for a locally owned place with such a high level of recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie R
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Before I start, if anyone has any questions about the Laksmi and Saraswati rooms - feel free to ask, only too happy to help out.

Stayed in Garden House – had Laksmi and Saraswati rooms. Our sensible 11 yo stayed in Laksmi on the ground floor; security is really good here, so no worries. It’s located in a small village called Nyuhkuning (Nee UH Kun Ing) so very few passers-by. Quiet, beautiful and discreetly run. Had to book a year in advance to get the whole house for five nights. For the price both rooms are sensational. Some folk have complained the Laksmi is a dreadful room, but no complaints here; plenty of room with a nice huge bathroom. It’s hand held showers in both rooms, and the latticing above the windows has no glass, so mozzies are present but mozzie nets around the beds efficient and the Saraswati has a day bed with mozzie nets and reading lights, so that became our reading area at dusk.

Free shuttle absolutely fabulous, although how long it takes for them to get to you is seriously dependant on the traffic in town which can be hellish especially during the day. Alternatively you can walk into town via a moped alley at the bottom of Monkey Forest Road 10 minutes, but it is unlit with regular moped traffic. Don’t forget to ask for your free of charge afternoon tea, plenty of folk either forgot or didn’t know about it. No sign of any monkeys, in the resort or in town; other years (2008 & 2006) they were everywhere; I know the island has a serious rabies problem but was only aware of the culling of unlicensed dogs.

This is not a five star resort and nor should it be. The wildlife and insects are also guests, and yes the frog watching me do my yoga on the huge balcony was distracting, but wonderful at the same time.

Most of the other info I could give you is written in other reviews. Happy to answer any questions anyone has; just message me.

Would got back tomorrow given time and funds.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family