All reviews shindu room yamuna room monkey forest lake leke rice fields day bed upstairs and downstairs private pool breakfast and afternoon tea each morning free shuttle huge room fish pond shuttle service traditional balinese style central ubud reception area
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We stayed at Alam Shanti for one night after staying at Alam Indah. We found good quality, delicious breakfasts, friendly staff, comfortable and clean room. The location was very quiet, there were monkeys on our doorstep (literally). The pool was a bit of a walk from our room, but it wasnt a problem. Our room looked out over rice/paddy garden. Only problem we had was that i got extremely ill from eating at the Laka Leki restaraunt (duck smoked/slow cooked overnight). We ate here on 3 occassions and it was only on the 3rd time we had a problem. The entertainment at the restaurant is fabulous (dances), the grounds are beautiful, and they have friendly staff, the food is even super tasty - but yeah, just a shame about the salmonella poisoning from the duck :/ Laka Leki is owned by the Alam Indah/Shanti and is just down the road. Overall i would recommend this place, just think twice about ordering the smoked duck :/

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Bugged_Rich
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Alam Shanti has so many reviews, and here goes another. Yes the grounds are every bit as beautiful and more.The attention to detail in my room (Narmada) was amazing. On entrance through the large balcony passing the tall white bunch of flowers to the left of the huge wooden doors, your bedroom awaits you. An owl sits high and faces the door to keep you safe, the site of the entrance to the bathroom is so enchanting. The high ceilings with beautiful carved beams, the detailed art above my bed where the mosquito net lies. Not just one display of flowers.. many, at night the staff place mosquito coils at the entrance to your room,the beautiful breakfast and so much more." yes this is bliss".
However I have to be honest and say the only thing that i found disappointing was the greeting and the departure, the two male older reception staff seem over it, i have travelled to bali for over 20 years and i felt that it probably was the unfriendliest greeting i have had. Don't get me wrong I don't want people jumping up and down, i just mean the vibe. The boy that showed me to my room walked me to the front door and that was it, he did not show me anything in my room, ordered room service once from Lake Leke one night and it arrived stone cold and i could not eat.

Other than that this place is not to be missed.

Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed 2 nights in the Yamuna room, huge but still charming and beautifully decorated. 2 kids had each their bed, so big they ended up sharing one... Monkeys came to visit and steal the afternoon cakes in total serenity in front of us, the kids won't forget their style! Breakfast was good with delicious crepes.
Nyuhkuning is not too far from Ubud but choices for food are limited when travelling with children (we waited 40 minutes for a lunch at the cafe just by the Alam Shanti entrance), and walking at night through the forest is not an option with them... However, i thought the guest house was an amazing place with a very particular style ; we found a certain nonchalance there, and we were surprised not to see a woman in the team when we were there!
I just wish they could have found a driver with more knowledge of the area, as i was disappointed by a trip to Mas : I specifically asked for places where i would find quality masks and statues, they responded yes of course, and i realised when it was too late that the driver had no idea at all where to go. Disappointing for a locally owned place with such a high level of recommendation.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Natalie R
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Before I start, if anyone has any questions about the Laksmi and Saraswati rooms - feel free to ask, only too happy to help out.

Stayed in Garden House – had Laksmi and Saraswati rooms. Our sensible 11 yo stayed in Laksmi on the ground floor; security is really good here, so no worries. It’s located in a small village called Nyuhkuning (Nee UH Kun Ing) so very few passers-by. Quiet, beautiful and discreetly run. Had to book a year in advance to get the whole house for five nights. For the price both rooms are sensational. Some folk have complained the Laksmi is a dreadful room, but no complaints here; plenty of room with a nice huge bathroom. It’s hand held showers in both rooms, and the latticing above the windows has no glass, so mozzies are present but mozzie nets around the beds efficient and the Saraswati has a day bed with mozzie nets and reading lights, so that became our reading area at dusk.

Free shuttle absolutely fabulous, although how long it takes for them to get to you is seriously dependant on the traffic in town which can be hellish especially during the day. Alternatively you can walk into town via a moped alley at the bottom of Monkey Forest Road 10 minutes, but it is unlit with regular moped traffic. Don’t forget to ask for your free of charge afternoon tea, plenty of folk either forgot or didn’t know about it. No sign of any monkeys, in the resort or in town; other years (2008 & 2006) they were everywhere; I know the island has a serious rabies problem but was only aware of the culling of unlicensed dogs.

This is not a five star resort and nor should it be. The wildlife and insects are also guests, and yes the frog watching me do my yoga on the huge balcony was distracting, but wonderful at the same time.

Most of the other info I could give you is written in other reviews. Happy to answer any questions anyone has; just message me.

Would got back tomorrow given time and funds.

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Holidayonastick
Reviewed 1 June 2012

There is a reason why Alam Shanti has gotten the accolades from those who have been there. And what better way for me to discover this than to stay over at the property.

My wife and I had recently spent 3 nights here in the Laksmi room, and I'm struggling to put our amazing experience into mere words.

For starters, when we arrived, we were treated to the best ever welcome drink, which was a blend of fruit juices. The staff were welcoming, especially Wayang who took his time to answer all of our questions thrown at him, and he does it with a constant smile.

Laksmi was one of the smallest room in the property. But as the larger rooms were better suited for families with kids, or group members of more than a couple, Laksmi gave us the perfect space we needed and it was roomy for just the 2 of us.

When we discovered there was no tv in our room, we paused for a moment to think of the shows we will miss out on. Now, we are thankful for the experience, as we got to replace the sounds of tv with nature, and the many conversations we had that filled our nights. Certainly, the wifi signal in our rooms were good, so keeping in touch with the happenings back home was easy with our Macbook.

Breakfast served here was just delightful. The pancake we had was yummy, and if you're craving for something local, they offered Indonesian fried rice which was just as good. And the fruit juices here simply cannot get any fresher.

Afternoon tea was served daily from 3pm to 6pm. You get to choose between Balinese coffee or from a range of teas, which was accompanied by a slice of cake of the day. And the sounds of birds singing and trees dancing were constantly our soundtrack to our afternoons. Amazing.

The body massage we had at their affiliated spa Alam Wangi was very good, especially given that the massage rooms were located next to the hotel's swimming pool. Very convenient and truly Balinese.

The best touch we discovered was the complimentary shuttle-on-demand provided by the hotel to Ubud town. Getting to and back from town has never been easier and all thanks to this special service. The drivers even offered to take our shopping bags back to the hotel, as he stopped us midway for our dinner at a restaurant. We could dine without having those bags as a burden to the rest of our evening. The shuttle service starts in the morning and ends by 1030pm daily.

We also got the hotel to book us a half-day tour to the Tegalalang rice field and a few temples for only USD40. It was good to feel safe with our driver, knowing that he was an employee of Alam Shanti.

We may have left Alam Shanti, but Alam Shanti has never left us. We are already looking forward to our next visit.

Room tip: For couples, Laksmi or Saraswati offers sufficient space around the room. The larger rooms are perfect for families with kids.
Date of stay: May 2012