“Need Lots of Improvements”

Novotel Surabaya Hotel and Suites
Ranked #36 of 138 Hotels in Surabaya
Reviewed 2 July 2012

The hotel concept is quite nice, a small park to walk in the morning and terrific swimming pool. Hotel management mentioning that several rooms is being renovated and might caused noisy sounds, but they forget to mentioned it will caused lots of dust. Need to improve the cleanliness including change the old towels and shower curtain. There is no hair dryer in the bathroom, and need to clean up the shower and bathtub because its dull. Need to change the TV because it's still old tube. And serious improvement for the breakfast variety and taste.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 30 June 2012

After I posted my original review I realised that I forgot to mention a few more issues ..so allow me to add these comments ..

I was sitting at the tiny lobby bar of the Novotel Surabaya, sipping on lukewarm beer, .the last few bottles they had, and this strong scent wafted across the bar . It had a faecal / urinary smell ..so I asked the bar tender if they had had cats in the bar at night. Without batting an eyelid he happily said: "its not cats - its geckos"

Now all of us who live in the tropics are familiar with these tiny reptiles and their droppings ..BUT to have such a strong smell prevalent in an air-conditioned hotel lobby ..there must have been a veritable pile of gekko faeces somewhere ..true enough ..the gap between the window facing the pool and the bar counter was full of it -..and no-one had bothered to clean it, probably for years ! So if the bartender knew about it ...why wasn't it ever cleaned ?

Here my comment with regards to room locations ..watch out ! They gave me an 'upgrade' , at the end of a the corridor. The result was about max 2 hours sleep ..the hotel car park was just below my window and the car valet announcements kept coming for hours; there is also a railway line just behind the hotel boundary, about 50 meters from window; freight trains kept rattling through every hour and you had the bells ringing of the railway crossing at the same time. To top it off ..there were THREE mosques outdoing each other at 4 am, that night for about 45 minutes ..totally out of tune but with a lot of gusto.

The Accor Group should be ashamed of this place ..if I stay at a Novotel I can expect an international Novotel standard ..this hotel is certainly not anywhere near it ..this hotel is a comedy of gross management errors.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Hotel is having good location, nice suite apartment I had. Terrific swimming pool and delicious breakfast and so much options for the menus. Thanks to Pak Zulkarnaen and Mba Adek who helped the booking. Yoyo the waiter was good one and helpfull. Will stay back once in Suabaya.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I booked this hotel through a accorhotels.com on May 2, 2012. My reservation number is G3F-0NF8. The hotel boasts itself as a four-star on the web site and I expected to stay in a hotel like that. However, my one night stay did not quite match my expectation.

I was staying at room 331. Once I entered the room, the age of the hotel became really apparent - this hotel definitely needs an serious upgrade!!
The hotel has a lot of problems. The side bed lamps was almost falling off, filthy carpets and chairs, broken curtains holder, old tube television, dirty balcony, very noisy air conditioner, very stinky mini fridge, old towels.
The bathroom is awful. The toilet bowl looks like it has never been scrubbed for years. There was no hair dryer in bathroom. The bathroom walls had corroded in some places. The bathtub brick was broken & had a big hole in it. It appears the housekeeping staffs of the Novotel Surabaya has a serious dedication to doing as little cleaning as physically possible. I cannot believe I endured this place for even a night. I took pictures that I can upload.

I must say thank you to the ladies in front desk. When I checked in & checked out, I received a warm reception from them who also was more than happy to help me with questions and concerns throughout my entire stay, both of them, as well as the rest of the staff, provided an upbeat, welcoming presence

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Denny L
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Every time I and my husband return to Surabaya, we always stay there. Because the location it's combinion from my parents house and close to the big shopping mall, Carrefour. Our favourite room is the one that has easy acces to swimming pool, the swimming pool is our highlight. Nice room, clean, and friendly staff. The only issue is they really need to improve the Internet acces. Now days many hotel either small or big, either star hotel or not, one of their attractive marketing is free wifi. At Novotel they still make us pay or acces 15minutes free at the lobby.

Room Tip: The same level as the swimming pool if you use the pool regurarly.