“Nice clean hotel located near Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall”
Review of Grands I Hotel

Grands I Hotel
Ranked #10 of 99 Hotels in Batam
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Location is great: less than 5 minutes walk to the Nagoya Hill shopping mall via the shortcut at the back of the hotel. The shortcut is a proper foot path that is brightly lit at night. A security guard patrols the shortcut at night.

Good security: security guards check every vehicle coming into the hotel compound. Lift access is controlled by room card.

Nice clean room: the room that I stayed in looks like it has been refurbished recently. Room is clean and I didn't see any cockroaches as mentioned in other reviews. There is an electronic safe, refrigerator, hair dryer and kettle in the room. Basic toiletries like shampoo, shower gel, tooth brush, tooth paste, shower cap, comb and slippers are provided. Mini bar (2 bottles of drinks and a pack of nuts) and 2 bottles of mineral water are complementary.

Price: booked the hotel through hotels.com and paid 106 SGD for one night (weekday). Hotel requested for 300,000 IDR or 50 SGD deposit at check in and refunded it at check out. Buffet breakfast for 2 is included in the price. The breakfast spread is average.

Transportation: the nearest ferry terminal is Harbour Bay. I believe only Berlian Ferries Wavemaster from Harbour Front in Singapore serves this terminal. Return ferry fare is $48 per person (all inclusive). The taxi drivers at Harbour Bay wanted 50,000 IDR for the ride to the hotel. On my return trip, The hotel helped me to call for a metered taxi to the ferry terminal and the fare was only 38,000 IDR.

Others: The Hills Hotel is across I Hotel but looks run down. There is no pedestrian crossing to Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall from The Hills Hotel so one would have to dash across the main road, which is very busy, in order to get to the mall. Spa Secret is located beside The Hills Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank CarolS09
There are newer reviews for Grands I Hotel

Reviewed 24 August 2012

One night stay in room 702 (non smoking). According to reception, room was refurbished.
The room was clean but unfortunately, missing a few essential things such as a luggage table. We had to put our luggage on the floor. Lack of tissues boxes. Managed to find only one on the working desk. None in the bathroom. Pretty decent toiletries, all in one box but shampoo was terrible. Disappointed that spa appointment with the hotel spa salon was cancelled at the last minute but forgivable since it's Hari Raya eve. The staff wanted to go home early. Impressed with the breakfast spread. Decent and well thought i.e. they tried to cater to different nationalities and age group. Shopping is close by with just 5 mins (slow) walk to Nagoya Mall. Overall, nice stay if you are not a super picky traveller.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LWHeng
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Good points - The location of the hotel is great. There's a shortcut at the back of the hotel to Nagoya shopping centre. There is a security guard at the shortcut at night when we walked back after our shopping.
Staff are courteous, especially the staff working at the restaurant where we have our breakfast.
Although there's not much variety for breakfast, we still find it ok.
The masseurs at the spa centre are very good. Prices are reasonable as well.

Bad points - The room looks clean when we first entered. After settling in for a while, we started to see tiny cockroaches in the room & toilet. They are all over the room. We bought doughnuts back to the room to eat & halfway thru, we can see cockroaches crawling towards our food. It's atrocious to see cockroaches in a hotel room! It's gross to see them crawling over our toiletries as well.
We have problems with the drainage as well. It will take a long time (when we are finishing our shower) for the water to flow thru the drainage. Didn't complain to the hotel because the problem got better during the 2nd person's shower. But we faced the same problem again when we showered the next day. Didn't complain because we are checking out that day.

Conclusion - I will not visit this hotel again, even though the location is near Nagoya shopping centre. The management of this hotel should get a pest controller to clean up their rooms. It's a pity that I have to give such low ratings because the staff are really good. But the cockroaches in the room really turn us off!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank jasminechua21
Reviewed 11 August 2012

All the staffs are very helpful, friendly and sincere. We stayed one night.
- Good security
- Good location
- Clean room and furniture
- Breakfast quite good
- Separate bath tub and shower (Deluxe room)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My second time at I Hotel. It has not change much. Very much the same. This time i stayed in the superior room. Very clean and fittings look new. The TV has many cable channels. Everything else remains the same. Theres a new short cut to walk to Nagoya Hill Mall. It much faster compared to walking down the road. And theres security at the entrance of the new route so it is safe even at night. Breakfast was as great.

Room Tip: Choose a room at high floor above level 3 non smoking
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family