“Fine for a dine and dash cafeteria”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Botanical Garden Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Ein Gedi
Reviewed 10 May 2016 via mobile

Not sure why this restaurant is so well rated. You'd do much better in the dairy restaurant and bar by the lobby. It's expensive for the experience of eating cafeteria style. The meat was quite dry though my husband's fish was good. If there were other beverages besides the water at our table, we never saw or heard about them.

I think maybe I just had higher expectations of customer service from a restaurant at an otherwise lovely hotel/spa. I was looking at tables by the window for a view that were set for large parties, so I can understand why they didn't want us sitting there. No problem. But when I wanted to move one table setting from a three person set table to a two person set table (same sized tables, empty restaurant) so that we could have a more enjoyable meal experience not right up next to the buffet or in the middle if the room, we were treated as though we were being annoying and difficult. I gave up on the idea right away, and we sat where requested. I continued to receive dirty looks every time I made eye contact and the female server barely spoke to us.

This place is fine (though expensive) for a cafeteria. Set your expectations there for a quick meal.

1  Thank Katherine F

Reviewed 10 September 2014

We are staying at Ein Gedi Kibbutz tonight, and there are no surprises here. It's a lovely, simple place. Our map at check-in showed a map to their Botanical Gardens Restaurant, the same one with the great reviews and nice view. But this restaurant apparently doesn't exist. They won't say whether it's just closed because it's not high season, but we were directed to the only restaurant at Ein Gedi this evening, and this is definitely NOT the Botanical Gardens Restaurant that they advertise. This was basically like a hospital cafeteria, with rows of tables, bright lights, buffet style food, etc. It was especially unfortunate that there was absolutely no view through the dark windows. What a waste of a beautiful sunset! The cost was 130 shekels per person, which was a lot for this bland, cafeteria-style food. However, we are at their mercy with so little choice in the environs.

7  Thank Ann M
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I went there to have dinner. Location is great, has a good view and the garden is just beautiful. Food was okay. But waitresses were below average. They were kicking the door open when entering to the kitchen. Slow the clean empty dishes. Dinner buffet was 170 shekel per person, overpriced.

2  Thank Lonelytraveller22
Reviewed 10 May 2013

food reasonable, good selection; but the best is the position with a view of greenery of the Kibbutz & Dead Sea

2  Thank travellerivo
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We dined there while staying in Ein Bokek. This is not a fancy place, but it is pleasant. The buffet, however, was truly excellent. Large variety of breads, salads, chopped liver, meats, well-seasoned stews, desserts. At dinner it was a kosher meat meal, so no dairy. The only disappointment was the carved beef roast - Israel is not the place to eat roasted beef. Cost was 130 shekels per person. Highly recommended.

3  Thank pragmatist1