“Great Meal and Service”
Review of Athos Restaurant

Athos Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Athos Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Athos was voted one of the 100 Best Greek Restaurants in America by The National Herald. Casually elegant, Athos serves only the very freshest seasonal ingredients, lovingly brought together using time-honored recipes and techniques, like clay pot cooking, and whole fresh fish-filleted table-side.
Reviewed 13 August 2017

We went there on a Monday night to celebrate a birthday. We have been there in the past but not recently. It was great! We started with the grilled octopus and went on to Macedonian lamb. One of us had 2 appetizers for their dinner- Saganaki and Spanikopita. For dessert it was Baklava and the fried dough with honey sauce. We had a bottle of Greek wine and some Greek liquor (not ouzo)- and Greek coffee. One of the owners read my coffee grounds to tell my future. For this meal, it was very reasonably priced. We plan to bring some friends next time as they offer gluten free and vegan.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Service was great and menu choices were plentiful. My Red Snapper was one of the best I have had. My guest wife had Chicken which was so tender that it practically melted in your mouth. We finished with a large piece of delicious carrot cake.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

I can't count the number of times we've been to Athos -- many, many times, business dinners, casual evenings with family, even more casual family dinners with kids in tow. Every time has been great, and that is why it continues to be one of our go-to restaurants.

There are two seating sections -- the taverna (more casual) and the more formal sit-down restaurant. The taverna side has some lighter offerings, and the restaurant side has the full menu.

My two favorites are the Chicken Souvlaki and the Hangar Steak. The chicken souvlaki is perfect for when you're hungry but not starving. I choose the rice pilaf because it is so flavorful instead if the fries. If I'm really hungry, I'll go with the Hangar Steak done medium rare (insider tip: done "gyro style", which means it's sliced and in a pita) with fries. Both are great, and will keep you coming back!

Dessert, if you have room is a toss up between the cheesecake, baklava and the loukhomathes. The loukhomathes are deep fried bits of heavenly yum, coated with a honey drizzle. So, so, good!!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

First time we went was outstanding. We both really enjoyed the food and the atmosphere. Wait staff was excellent. Second time we went it was still good but something was off. Food was good but not worth the $$$ spent. Also it was a weeknight and we seemed to be rushed though our reservations were at 7pm. I would go back again and order the fresh fish. It was chosen and fileted at the table. Delicious!

Reviewed 8 August 2017

Athos is our go-to restaurant for an enjoyable evening with great food, great atmosphere and great service. The prix-fix menu is an excellent choice and a great value. For fish and vegetarian lovers, there are plenty of choices.

Been to Athos Restaurant? Share your experiences!