“Best sushi...ever?!”

Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2018

My husband and I first discovered this restaurant when we were in the capital region looking for a home. Having come from a metropolitan area (Washington, DC), our expectations were fairly low, but we wanted sushi so we tried Koto, which was near our hotel. Boy were we pleasantly surprised! The sushi at Koto beats, hands down, anything we ever had in DC. It's really some of the best anywhere. The fish is fresher, and the cuts of nigiri and sashimi are bigger and more tender tan anything we ever got in DC/Arlington/Alexandria. The service is always reliable, quick, and they've yet to screw up an order. We liked Koto so much on our trip that we ate here three nights out of the seven that we were in Albany. Since moving to the area, we now have date night here at least once a month. Truly fantastic!

The only thing that's a little confusing is that everywhere else in the world, an order of nigiri is two pieces and an order of sashimi is three pieces. This is not the case in Albany, so just be aware and do your math :)

Reviewed 31 January 2018

Had never been to a Japanese restaurant so visited Koto for a late lunch. We were met on entry and shown to our table. The drinks order arrived quickly. Our Hibachi chef went through his very entertaining display of cutlery juggling and saki pouring before cooking our food. I had surf'n'turf which was just delicious. The ambience was relaxed and all of the staff were very attentive and helpful. A great experience with a bit of fun and superb food. Definitely well worth the visit!

Reviewed 11 January 2018 via mobile

On a recent Friday night, my wife, my daughter and I went out to dinner after seeing a movie. Koto wasn't actually our first choice, but maybe it should have been. We were able to be seated right away, service was attentive without being obtrusive, and the food was great. I highly recommend the Pink Lady roll, but everything else on the table was delicious, too. Popular for a reason, kitschy Tv ads notwithstanding. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 28 December 2017

I've been here before but some time ago. We liked the food and service before and weren't disappointed this time either. It was a family dinner just before Christmas. We all enjoyed the sushi boat for the table. Everyone was satisfied with the quality and quantity of the food. The family asked to return the eat there when home. We made our reservation from their website and it worked perfect. I expected a email reminder but that didn't happen. It didn't matter as the hostess had our reservation for us. Everything was great.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Had Hibachi for my son’s birthday. Food was delicious. A little pricey. At the end they brought out a drum and sang and gave him fried ice cream with a really cool sparkler candle thing which played “Happy Birthday”. Margaritas were very good. Only minor issue was refill took a long time and at the end no one else at the table was asked if they wanted dessert. Not a deal breaker. One really nice thing is they took a picture and printed us a family photo which was really nice! Recommend.

1  Thank M C

Been to KOTO Japanese Restaurant? Share your experiences!