“Very please with authentic mexican”

El Mariachi Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 April 2017

Very busy night (Lisa Lampanelli in town). Forgot reservations but found us a table for 2 in 10 minutes. Service was EXCELLENT. Not cheap but worth every bite. Chilate De Pollo soup was to die for. The Gambas Al Ajllo was much larger than expected and warmed up nicely the next day. I will go back.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Fun place, great staff, huge fave of NYS employees from the Empire State Plaza for lunch, Happy Hour, dinner, celebrations.

Reviewed 22 March 2017

Honestly...I don't get all the 5 Star Reviews for this place. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything better than average to me.

The SERVICE...THAT deserves 5 Stars. We had a party of 8 being co-workers on a project in Albany. Our server and the people that assisted her were very friendly, took care of our every need with a smile and were there when we needed them. For a casual place, the service was impressive.

The food? Eh...like I said..not "bad" but nothing I would rave about. Sadly the best thing I had were the Tortilla Chips they bring for no charge. They were the way it should be everywhere but seldom are....actual Tortillas cut into wedges and fried. I don't know if they do them on premise or buy them but they were very good as was the salsa.

Because we had a group of 8 we had ordered Chicken Tamales...some with Salsa Verde and some with Mole Sauce so we could all try some of both.. Both of the sauces were pretty good. I personally don't favor Mole Sauce but that is not a fault of the restaurant that is just me. But the Tamales had very little meat in them and were 80% Masa.

We also had another sampler platter with mini burritos of various kinds and some chips with Mole and Cheese. All of it was OK...once again nothing that wowed me.

I ordered Combination Fajitas with Steak and Chicken. The Chicken was pretty dry and the steak pieces were charred to the point of almost being leather. Had the texture of dried beef jerky. Neither had much (if any) seasoning I could taste. Pretty bland in addition to over cooked.

We shared a Flan and a Cake thing and passed it around. Both were pretty good. Neither had me wanting to go back for more than my share.

Maybe I should have had some of their more authentic/exotic Mexican dishes but I like to focus on protein with few carbs so the Fajitas work for me. I would probably try something else if we go again.

I honestly would probably try another Mexican Restaurant in the Albany area before I go back to this one but it wasn't something I would actively avoid if my co-workers wanted to go back.

The prices were very reasonable and they had a nice selection of Mexican beer by the bottle (only two beers on tap)

Parking was a PITA...street parking...drive around until you find a spot on the street you can wedge your car into. There seemed to be a public lot across the street but it was not open. Chains across the entrance and filled with snow piles so I don't know if normally that is available. I hope so because parking was a hassle.

Reviewed 14 March 2017

I joined several friends for dinner and to catch up recently, and El Mariachi was the perfect spot. The food is great, and the margaritas and sangria kept the conversation going. We sat upstairs in the corner, and didn't feel any pressure by the staff to quit gabbing.

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

Personally I'm more of a fan of Tex mex, this place is more like legit Mexican food. Which is good but not my absolute favorite. It's also pricy in my opinion.