“Empanada Specials for a Great Lunch”
Review of La Empanada Llama

La Empanada Llama
Ranked #167 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed 29 June 2017

We stumbled upon La Empanada Llama when the nearby restaurant we had scoped out for lunch was closed. The Llama is an intimate family restaurant. A front room that will squeeze in 20, is adorned with native decor. It adjoins a kitchen that is separated only by a counter. The food is high quality, simple, and very inexpensive. Plenty of enticing specials. In short, a great place if you are looking for an uncommon lunch.

Reviewed 7 May 2017

So many Mexican restaurants in Albany now that it's hard for any to stand out from the crowd. Empanada Llama succeeds by adding Peruvian items and decor, plus well prepared and reasonably priced food. Friendly staff, nice menus. Their empanadas are great, but don't be afraid to try other items as well. Dining area is small, so this place might be inconvenient for large families/groups. No parking area, but I was able to find a nearby spot on the street with no difficulty. Will go there again.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

I had a Living Social deal, and was excited to try out this newish Peruvian restaurant for take-out. There were a bunch of vegetarian/vegan options, which I was really excited about. I ordered 3 dishes:

1) Quinoa Salad: Quinoa Mixed with Mango and Avocado Dressed and Seasoned.
*This was the best of the three. A nice cold salad good for a summer day, and with a hint of citrus dressing it appeared. Very fresh tasting.

2) Chickpeas and Greens: Chickpeas Cooked in a Turmeric base Mixed with Spinach. (Vegan, Gluten Free)
*This dish was hot and rather salty. I didn't taste any turmeric, which I was looking forward to. Just tasted like chickpeas sitting in a salty, soupy mix of greens.

3) Mac-n-Cheese
*I was craving some comfort food on a cold, rainy night. It was toted as being made with wheat pasta, although it looked and tasted like white pasta. Nothing special.

I was hoping for more flavor-wise, and maybe I just didn't explore the menu deep enough. The ingredients were wholesome and made fresh. However, not enough for my taste-buds and as such I probably won't go back.

Reviewed 11 February 2017

La Empanada Llama is such a great hidden Gem in Albany, super close to Delmar as well. The family who owns it also runs the business and they are super helpful and friendly! Ive tried a large amount of their menu and can't name one thing I didn't like. You can tell the food that is prepared is fresh and homemade. Make sure you try a piece of their Tres Leches Cake as well! It is by far, the BEST TRES LECHES I HAVE EVER HAD! Im excited they are now serving breakfast! They probably will become one of my favorite brunch spots as well. Maybe one day they will have a liquor license, Mimosas and Empanadas sound like the perfect combination!

1  Thank maryross45678
Reviewed 27 January 2017

I made the trip over to La Empanada Llama during my short business trip to Latham. When looking up local Albany eateries, I stumbled across this Peruvian restaurant whose mouth-watering images of their empanadas had me convinced the visit would be worth the investment. For three empanadas and a small order of fried plantains I paid just under fifteen dollars. The size and quality of the empanadas were worth every penny! I decided to order one spinach and cheese, Mexican, and chicken empanada. Each empanada was as equally enjoyable to taste. Their green dipping sauce helps add the extra kick to the empanadas so make sure you ask for it! I can’t describe the taste, but it looks like a cilantro cream. In addition, the small order of fried plantains was a very generous portion as well. It’s a small eatery that can feel tight knit for a large group looking to sit down and dine but perfect for anyone looking to pick up a quick order like I did. The hardest part about getting to La Empanada Llama is looking for parking on the street since they do not have their own lot. On the day that I visited, they were having some issues with their internet connection when I asked to have a printed receipt for reimbursement purposes for my job. So I found myself hanging around a few extra minutes until they just decided to have the receipt emailed to me which worked out just as fine. Otherwise, I would say this hidden gem in Albany is worth checking out! I'm shocked to only see there have been only 10 other reviews on TripAdvisor for La Empanada Llama when they deserve so much more public praise!

1  Thank Marlana D