“Great Friday night dinner”

The Hollow Bar + Kitchen
Ranked #20 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Founded in 2013, The Hollow Bar + Kitchen is family-owned and operated by Michael and Dora Philip. The Hollow is a unique addition to downtown Albany as it is a 4-star restaurant, craft beer bar and a recognized live music venue attracting national, regional and local acts. The Hollow was chosen as one of Hudson Valley Magazine's '20 Hidden Hudson Valley Landmarks' and has received other notable accolades such as 'Best New Club' for Metroland's 'Best of 2014' list. The Hollow has also earned the no. 2 Spot after the iconic Saratoga Performing Arts Center, for 'Best Live Music Venue in the Capital Region' in Metroland's 2014 Reader's Poll. The Hollow is committed to creating its dishes with fresh, local ingredients and reinventing tried and true classics with unexpected twists. The bar program involves rotating its 24 taps continuously, curating an interesting, accessible wine list and creating seasonal, handmade Signature Jar Drinks. The Hollow's Special Events team is adept at coordinating and executing rehearsal dinners, showers, corporate functions, fundraisers, lunch and dinner parties. In the warmer months, The Hollow opens its sidewalk cafe bordered with boxwoods and is a great spot to have dinner pre-show or to watch the hustle and bustle of historic downtown Albany. The Hollow Bar + Kitchen is located next door to Capital Repertory Theatre at 79 North Pearl Street in Albany, NY.
Reviewed 24 July 2017

Went here on a Friday night with friends. A little noisy, but it's Friday night! Started off with a Gazpacho for me - wonderful, but had to take half home, large portion. Friends had salad and a chicken Quesadilla, all good. For dinner, a Gnocchi entree - truffle oil brown butter, Arugula, Shiitake mushroom, and asiago cheese. A little dry, but good flavor. I had the Scallops - pan seared with a pear chutney, Arugula, tomatoes, and fig sauce, it was delicious. Hubby had the Tempeh Reuben sandwich - a soy product, sauerkraut, Russian dressing, and Swiss. It was alright, but not knowing what Tempeh was, he ate it all. Friend had the blackened chicken sandwich, no complaints here.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We ate here for dinner while visiting Albany after reading reviews. What I really wanted to eat was the beef brisket sandwich, but for some reason they only serve it for lunch. I went with the burger with the fried egg on top and spicy ketchup, and pretty much ate until I reached fat kid status. The meat had so much flavor and the spicy ketchup added a lot of flavor too. If ypu love sweet potato fries, their's is slap yo momma good! The atmosphere also has something to be said. It has exposed brick & mason jar lighting that I was obsessed with. We were pleased they took reservations, because we brought our two kids. There weren't a lot of kids that I noticed, but it seemed perfectly fine place for families. There is a street parking, whixh is difficult, but a block past there is a public parking lot for $5 cash. My only complaint was the server was not attentative at all. Oh and they had Pepsi products (which did not affect the ratings since that is personal preference)

Reviewed 3 July 2017

On June 30th we held my son and his fiancee's rehearsal dinner at The Hollow. We had 30 people and rented the bar room. Every one of the 30 people raved about the staff, food and atmosphere. Our menu started with a watermelon salad with basil and feta (incredibly distinct taste that I am going to try and duplicate at home). We then had three entrees with included
Eggplant stack ( their specialty and let me tell you about half the people went back for seconds)
Sliced Maple Soy Top Sirloin over Roasted Rosemary Sea Salt Potatoes
Halibut with Grapefruit Gastrique, Spring Peas,Sliced Watermelon Radishes over Rice Pilaf
For desert there was Cider Belly Doughnut Bread Pudding
Not only was the food incredible but the staff and bartenders were attentive and incredible nice!!
I planned the meal and experience with Dora and Michael Philip, the owners. They tailored the night to meet our needs. The entire night was just what my son and his fiancee wanted and they loved the decor with the industrial lighting. And in the end we even took home delicious leftovers!

Reviewed 29 June 2017

The $27 Rib Eye was not a good value or choice - Portion was smaller than expected w/no option for side or veggie. Chicken Tenders Appetizer were from a package, However, Salmon and Beef Burgers were Excellent....The Hollow Is Really "Just for Burgers!"

Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

Great pub for food and music. Our server was friendly and excellent service. Great stop before a game for a meal. Would return.