“Amazing New Flavors”

Tanpopo Ramen and Sake Bar
Ranked #39 of 699 Restaurants in Albany
Reviewed 5 April 2017

I love Asian food so when this place opened i was excited, but not only for that, where else can ramen get taken to this level in Albany? Me and a girlfriend went on a Sat night and got seated in a booth immediately. They really transformed the old diner well. Not over the top in decor but nice wood and they transformed the counter into a large table that seats on all sides. Excellent idea to create more seating. The service was quick and the menu small, which I love. The bigger the menu the more shortcuts kitchens take. We got crab rangoons and pork buns as appetizers and both were amazing. I had never had pork buns before, but i'm craving them even as i type this. They meat was so tender and well flavored and the texture of the bun was light and a good chewy. We both got ramen. I got the Tonkotsu Ramen- Pork bone marrow broth, Chashu pork, scallion, fish cake and kikurage mushroom. I added an egg and pork. It was delicious! Such depth of flavor. She got Vegetable Ramen- Vegetable broth with scallion, cabbage, flammulina velutipes, mushroom corn and kikurage mushroom with an egg. She said it was so good.
The portions were big and we both took leftover ramen home. I was a little concerned about the price until i saw the bowls lol
Alcohol was a bit expensive so i would just get food.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

It's a small menu, but easy to choose something yummy. The beef ramen was slow-cooked and delicious with big hunks of flavorful ginger and greens. There is also the option to add things to your bowl, such as a boiled egg. The restaurant itself is teeny tiny and historic mid-20th century. Don't go in expecting all kinds of accommodations; This place is all about the food!

Reviewed 15 January 2017

My companion and I shared some duck buns and then each had the spicy pork ramen. Go for the extra spicy egg. The broth was rich and well seasoned, the noodles - perfection.

Reviewed 14 December 2016

This is serious Japanese eating. The ramen soup is succulent, the dumplings are absolutely delicious. The setting, in an old diner car, previously known as Miss Albany Diner, is so adorable. The new owners were smart enough not to change anything of the original design. It doesn't hold many people at a time, but when I was there yesterday for a lunch with a friend, it wasn't too crowded. Not sure how it is at dinnertime. The young woman who was our server, was fun and spunky and very pleasant. I'm going back soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2016 via mobile

I had never been to ramen place and I'm glad that I went here for my first time! A very cute place! Had the seafood ramen, was told that there was shrimp and scallops in it but there really was only shrimp, which I was fine with. The soup came with cilantro, even though I asked for them to not include it; thankfully it had sunk to the bottom and didn't effect my experience too much.