“Good for souvenir ”
Review of Hwangnam Bread

Hwangnam Bread
Ranked #1 of 2 Quick Bites in Gyeongju
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Very Full of sweet Red bean paste( korean red bean!!) inside thin pie crust. It is my favorite bread. It goes well with a cup of milk! This is very famous bread in Gyeongju.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 7 December 2017

CYC ( 17.12.02 )
My family visited this bakery for buying Gyeongju bread, beean jam buns. This bread was representative of Gyeongju's food. We bought this bread, and enjoyed. When we ate this bread, we felt delicious but not excellent. But we ate this bread after keeping in refrigerator, that's excellent. Recommend to eat in low temperature.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

I smelt the fragrance while it's being bake and I was totally charmed. Most of the shops have an open kitchen to show that those breads are freshly made. But you won't get the hot fresh from the oven bread of course. It's more to a pancake instead of bread. Not too sweet, has red bean filling. In overall.. just okay.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I have been to Gyeonju before for business purposes and I had a box of these given to me as part of the conference I was attending. I remember them being good, but nothing that I was going to go out of my way for.

Since I was now visiting town for tourism, my family members had looked this up and wanted to try a local delicacy. That's all fine and good but wow, these are expensive for what they are.

I grew up eating the Korean walnut cakes (hodo-gwaja) which are kind of similar with a cakey outside and a red beam filling (but still different). I don't know if it's because I'm used to those that I don't really find the hwangnam bang that big of a deal and I much prefer the taste of the walnut cakes. I get that it is a local thing and artisan handmade bread and a nice box, but still. The walnut cakes are also cheap so I found the price of these way high.

I suppose it's one of those things that you are there, so you buy it and try it. A lot of Koreans were there buying it too, so it's a thing. It is a nice shop and there are benches and free water if you want to taste your purchase right away. So I guess go for it if you like them or if this is going to be your special food that you buy in the city. But I'll happily eat my walnut cakes over this.

Date of visit: May 2017
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Branded biscuits Gyeongju is named after the neighborhood in which they were first made in the distant 1939. Today, the third generation of the family Choi makes them. Not to say that the taste of the red beans is what I dreamed all life. However, to expand culinary knowledge that will be useful. They are sold in boxes at the company store. Expensive. They should be eaten immediately - in the morning they will be less convincing.

Date of visit: July 2016