Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Agoda.comUS$14
eDreamsUS$14
StayForLong
Hotels.com
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 December 2012

The only reason I gave 4 instead of 5 is that you should be prepared with ear plugs at night. The hotel is very close to the train tracks, on which trains run mainly at night, honking and chugging very loudly. Other than that, this is a great place to stay. The owners are very hospitable and easy-going, and the family room is spacious for us and 2 kids. We can use the neighborhood pool out back for free. Beach and shopping are 10 minutes' walk away. Recommended!

Date of stay: December 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Ghosttoast
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Popped in for a couple days and stayed 3 weeks. Andy, proprietor helpfully rearranging rooms to accommodate me. Relaxed atmosphere and do as you please but with guidance on hand and also scooter hire to get around. Is out of the main hua hin hubbub but still accessible to beach and town if you wish and taxi only a pittance to pay. Pool at the back where you can also relax to amenable music. I had good time here and will return

Room tip: I had three rooms and were all spacious and well equipped
Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I initially stayed at the Donkey's rest for 4 nights in mid-November. The key to this hotel is the fact that it is family run and not a large chain hotel. Andy and his wife Duong(?) are excellent guides to the area and are never reluctant to be on hand to answer any questions you may have. As I was travelling alone and was new to the country I found that invaluable.

Andy can organise excellent fishing expeditions to local parks and is in touch with the best fishing guides Thailand has to offer. I caught a 200lb Arapaima whilst I was there! The atmosphere of the hotel is relaxed and the rooms are clean and have a fridge, satellite TV and a wet room.
You get the impressions that the team at the Donkey's rest make a real effort to help their guests, whether it be with the standard of the rooms, helping with advice on the area or making you feel welcome. For it's budget I wouldn't imagine you could do much better than this.

Date of stay: November 2012
1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed 18 October 2012

My third time at The Donkeys Rest and I will be back,having retired last year, I have been travelling for 14 months and The Donkeys Rest is at the top of my favourite places to stay.
A great place to unwind, put your feet up and relax.
Clean , spacious but probably more important, a Real family Hotel. Andy and Doung always make you welcome. If you like to keep yourself to your self that is fine, or if you want to be more involved and have a quiet beer or two in the bar, again that is fine, and recommended.
Andy speaks fluent Thai and Doung his wife, fluent English and nothing is a problem, from organising trips to booking a dental appointment or simply changing a bus time, (Simple if you speak Thai and English). Doung is also an amazing cook and the food there is the best.
There is a lovely massage parlour as part of the hotel, Run by Tui, who provides professional, relaxing and well priced massages as well as pedicures , etc.
It is great to come down from your room, have your massage and then have a quiet beer in the bar before going back to your room, perfect relaxation
I look forward to a return visit, next time I am in Thailand and can only totally commend this little gem of a hotel

Room tip: Rooms at the back have a balcony, with pool and mountain view.
Date of stay: October 2012
2  Thank 04_roger_04
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Having visited Hua Hin on 4 occasions during 2012, I can safely say this is the best accommodation in which I have stayed, when taking into account pricing and service. I have stayed at three 5* resorts and paid silly money for the privilege. This hotel was recommended by a friend and cost 25% of other stays. The service provided by Andy and wife Duong is exceptionally friendly, the rooms spacious and clean, food (by Duong) outstanding and other guests friendly.

Andy acts as taxi driver, local guide and interpreter. I have never stayed anywhere with such a warm welcome and will be returning in December, having found a cost effective base in this Thai golfing heaven.

Room tip: All rooms good.
Date of stay: September 2012