See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Stayed at candles for one night on a stop over. Had picked candles based on previous reviews, as we wanted a cheap & cheerful room. Firstly the Candles is a nightmare to find, even with satnav! The streets are very narrow & on a one way system. When we finally found the guesthouse it did look pretty from the street, however once through the gates & into reception the first thing that caught my attention was the smell of cat urine. The reception area was small, dusty with withered flowers. The gentleman on reception explained to us although we'd paid for breakfast, their kitchen was closed & if we wanted breakfast we would need to go down the road to another hotel! The room itself was very clean but basic - we expected this for the amount we paid, but it was missing basic items such as toilet roll. With wooden floors & thin walls we could quite easily hear noise from a room at the end of the corridor. We were woken several times during the night by dogs barking in the grass park outside the window, which seemed to be where they gathered. It's also worth noting that prayer time happens at 3-4 in the morning & from the noise in our room I presume the mosque isn't too far away!
When we came to check out in the morning there was nobody there, apart from a large Alsatian dog which didnt seem too happy! So we had to leave Candles under the presumption they would take payment from our credit card.
Maybe we were just there at the wrong time of year?

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank Claymires
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Candles House in May, and I thought it charming and well-located. It is a very small B&B – I believe it has only 4 guest rooms – just steps from Hadrian’s Gate in a quiet section of Antalya’s old town, or Kaleici – a perfect area from which to explore Antalya and the surrounding area.

The B&B has a lovely garden and the interior features some beautiful wood surfaces. My room was charming, with just a few minor limitations. It was a small and nicely decorated single with blinded windows that overlooked the surrounding gardens. I liked the basket of toiletries, mini-bar, and supply of extra pillows in the room. Hot water was readily available if one gave it just a little bit of time, and once it was hot, it was hot! It was, however, a bit hard to control -- even a very light touch could result in major changes in temperature. I was less satisfied with the absence of a bed table or bedside lamp.

Breakfast, which was individually served in the garden, was very good and included a generous array of tasty foods and a plate of perfectly cooked scrambled eggs.

The man who staffed the Candles House during my stay was a gracious host. He didn’t speak English, but he made sure that language was not a problem by effective use of non-verbals and, when necessary, resourceful use of his phone or internet connections. Our most difficult exchange occurred when I checked out: I had booked my room months in advance through booking.com. Shortly after doing so, I received an e-mail indicating that my credit card account had been inadvertently charged upon booking. As a response to this error, I was offered a discount and was told that I would be given it once there. No one seems to have told the young man, and it took a while for us to find the words to understand each other.

BTW, to park at the Candles House, I had to take a ticket from a gate that allowed me to drive into that section of Kaleici. It looked like there might be a small fee for parking and a very big fee if the ticket was lost. I presented it when I left the area and was waived through without a charge.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank KJA3
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Great place to stay if you're on a budget or not. I would recommend this to anyone wanting to see Antalya's old town. It's a 50 metre walk to Hadrian's gate and another 100m to the first shops in town. You're in the centre of it all and the reception is great, everyone is very friendly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MacNicoll
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This small guesthouse (only 4 rooms) is centrally located in the "old town" which is within the castle walls. Everything you could possibly need is within walking distance. The hotel was a bit of a challenge to find in the maze of tiny streets.

The staff made breakfast about 30 minutes earlier than normal to accommodate our early departure time (to catch a flight) and was helpful with everything from directions, carrying bags, and hooking up the internet in the lobby when I needed to make a skype call (the internet in the room was not strong enough for a skype call). Carrying bags may sound like a normal thing but in the previous hotel, Venus Hotel (Pamukkale), the service was non-existent. My gf and I carried all the bags as the front desk clerk walked us up the stairs to the room and watched us carry everything without offering to lend a hand.

Keep in mind that its a very small place overall and you can hear everything through the walls.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms, probably all the same.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank herzog00
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Good value - delightful staff in this beautiful, quiet and well situated pension. Excellent breakfast included .

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family