“Nice Hotel But Lacks Sparkle or Atmosphere”

Sealight Resort Hotel
Ranked #15 of 156 Hotels in Kusadasi
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Well this is going to be long but honest review. I have just returned form the Seal Light hotel for 2 weeks and I must admit I have to agree with one reviewer who called it soulless Sea light. On the surface the hotel is really really nice all very clean as well but my it’s boring and very unorganised for a middle aged couple.
Anyway the rooms are carpeted with massive but hard beds and good but quite noisy air con. There is a nice bathroom with over shower bath however the water was often cols at 6.30 (rush hour) and once went off mid soap !!! There is a powerful hair dryer. Mini Bar (soft drink and water only) big wardrobes but as always not may hangers for two. The walls are very thin and I hope your more luck than us as there was a large snoring man next door and he may well have been sleeping in the same room for the noise he made most nights. God help you if there is a baby next door. Overall the rooms are quite nice (had a standard sea view at the back of the hotel) did ask for upgrade to better room but didn’t get one
The pool is nice not deep tho and there is a sea water pool there next to the main one burrr. Tho nice it would have been better if maybe one pool was away from the main area as there was little in the way of a quiet relaxing corner anywhere near a pool. There was quite loud varied music all day and the bar serves drinks and snax 11-5pm. There is a Jacuzzi attached to the main pool but this is COLD water. I don’t have any complaints about the pool. There are a few pool games but they are very poorly advertised there did not seem to be enough information in or about the hotel or the facilities it offered. There was no welcome pack in the room only a sheet with bar/food opening times. I note one reviewer said the animation kept asking to play games but this was low key when we went maybe they need a happy medium. Don’t buy anything from the shop papers are £5 each!! Deodorant £5 we thought it was in lira but all prices are euro ouch go to town to but anything like that.
Restaurants hummm the supposedly Al a carte ones to be fair where quite nice for AI but the drinks service was slow in coming in all and they only seemed to fill glassed once then you had to keep asking. The Chinese was good as was the Turkish and Fish, the Italian was poor I my opinion and the steak offered was a small bit of chewy Veal. There is a lot of veal on the menus. One thing in the special restaurants it kept you away from the Russians, don’t think they get enough to waste there. The portions where quite large and there was a number of courses in all of them. They over look the sea and you can watch the unset. One word of warning go for later sitting as it’s to hot and you will get sweaty at the 7pm ones (by the way you will need to tell then a time otherwise you WLLL be put on the 7pm one). You need to book the restaurants at the reservations desk under the main clock in the lobby one restaurant per stay not one per week as we thought. To be fair tho the man did say he would let us dine in the Turkish on our last night at no extra charge that was nice. The main restaurant was not to my liking at all and geared towards the Russians a lot of rice veal and fish. The salad was fresh and although a wide choice of things most of it was bland or just looked that awful you won’t want to try it. Like Sprout salad!! You won’t starve and you will find something but as it’s a big hotel the food is recycled into other stuff very regular and towards the end of the week it’s quite bad with little to choose from. Like I said you won’t starve but who wants to scrabble about for something edible. Maybe I am fussy, There is a BBQ outside but all it does is grilled fish , Turkey or Chicken don’t forget after 2 weeks this will get boring every lunch and dinner time. Breakfast was the worst for me cold hard beans, hard boiled eggs (very hard) sloppy undercooked scrambles or snotty fried (think upset tummy) there was fruit, yogurt meat cheese (flavourless) and bread though, again no variation. The plus point there was an omelette man but you have to queue and a pancake point if you like that sort of thing. One lady has said you can get fresh juice and smoothies yes you can but its NOT all Inc you have to pay £3.50 yes £3.50 a glass to me that’s not good. All they had at supper time was pasta or soup that was it. Lucky I am not a midnight snack went a few times soup was ok but I feel there could have been a few butties or something. Also this is the only hotel I have been to that doesn’t give you nibbles with your drinks ie popcorn or nuts or crisps.
The pizza at the snack bar was the best thing we ate and I am not a massive fan. I think if you go to a hotel in a different country they should have at least one Turkish place to eat or have special dishes on maybe koftas or something more traditional. There was nothing traditional Apart from the flat breads (yummy) and the Turkish restaurant.
The drinks are varied in quality and alcohol the cocktails where a let down as no fresh juice is used only concentrates. The beer Tuborg was very weak good job because I think the amount the Ruskies drank they would have been legless by dinner time. The vodka was ok a little rough so was the wine but all drinkable. There where various bars but I didn’t feel there was enough for the number of people. The pool bar had a singer on each evening there where three singers that rotate during each week but all the songs where similar and all sang in broken English. To be fair one lad wasn’t bad but the others quite poor. The Lighthouse was ok but lacked any atmosphere in the evenings but it did seem to attract us brits all 10 of us ha ha . There was a so called cocktail bar upstairs but every time we went there wasn’t a person in site only a lonely bar tender. The beach bar closed at 5 because it turns into the fish restaurant. There was also the lobby bar with a piano player for an hour early evening this had no atmosphere and it’s where the 24hr all inclusive takes place. HUmmm they turn off the air con at 12 so it’s mad hot and there is no music at all so it’s not really the type of place you can have a laugh it was like a morgue until about 2am when everyone from the clubs and other bars in ladies beach came in. This was quite a good laugh. There was a club on site that played very loud music with the DJ also doubling up as the barman. It also stank like a bad drain and only had 4 people in. The animation did the same show each week so we know what was coming and it was pretty bad really. A little dancing one professional Turkish show. The rest was Mr & Mrs Sea light and Miss Sealing competition all the other nationalities (apart from Brits and the French) seemed to lap it up though. I did not feel there was enough at night times.
There was a spa and an indoor pool we never used it as it was very expensive i.e. Turkish bath £10 in town £30.00 in hotel! Be aware you will have to be out of your room at 12.0 on your last day its 30 euro per person to keep the room and you can only have it until 4pm. We opted out of keeping the room as we where told by a fellow traveller we could use the showers in the spa and the lockers so again we asked reception who either pretended no to understand or just couldn’t be bothers explaining to us. Eventually we went to the spa where a nice lady gave us locker keys for our passports etc and we had showers etc we just used our pool towels to dry off all was fine then.
We never saw the rep as all he seemed interested in was flogging trips don’t go with your rep (they just book in town and keep the difference) book on ladies beach there are 4 trip points we booked with sun tours I think and it was £20 for half day Ephesus (u must go its fab) but we did feel very rushed the reason! We where taken to a very very expensive leather outlet without our knowledge not pleased. Even if I wanted to buy I didn’t have money or card and the prices where just daft £1000 euros etc. So I would go to the English lady further down the beach she has blond hair and she should tell you if there are any hidden trips or not. We also booked Samos this was £30 each not worth it there isn’t a lot there but it was nice to be on the boat (pick up at 7.15 ouch) better to go on a gullet full day for £12 inc food and soft drinks. Ladies beach is a short Dolmus ride away its 3 lira for two people there is a place called the Old house right at the end of the seafront (its only a small sea front ) that does Chicken and home made chips for £3.30 ! And beer is only £1.50 per big bottle effes larger food is honest and good. The further down the beach the more expensive it is. There is also a Greek restaurant the tout OZ is nice and we had an ace meal of the best lamb chops I have ever had and it was only £10 for two of us with a few drinks free fruit and free bread. It’s the only one Greek so just look for the signs. Kuasdassi town is a bit further on with lots of bars and shops and a marina it’s a cracking place to go day or early evening you must go and if you like to shop it’s great. You will have to haggle but some places are fixed cost. There was no where near the hassle we had five years ago as there are laws to stop those hassling customers to go into bars and shops much better just a little hassle. We had a nice meal there to just look for cheaper places full of locals you won’t go wrong. You will find English food but its not made very well,
The clientele in the hotel had a lot to be desired a lot of new money from Belarus and Minsk I have never met such an awful bunch. They just wasted lots of food and ate with the manners of a demented pig that hadn’t been fed in 10 weeks harsh yes but there are so many with nothing I just cant justify wasting so much when just outside the hotel people lived in poverty (just look down the rd you will see what I mean) They did like vodka and beer at 10 am tho ! And I thought brits had a bad larger lout image nope we have nothing on these guys. They also let the kids run wild and there were a lot of them about. Quiet relax round the pool no chance.
The hotel and resort is good however if I went back I doubt I would go AI as it was cheap enough to eat and drink as long as you steer clear of imported stuff. If you had a group of you or went to this hotel with kids then it would be fine as you can make your own entertainment. As couple maybe a week would have been better for us and if I am honest I didn’t like the hotels clientele (I aint posh either) I found the food odd and a bit cold at times the beer low quality and the entertainment boring. One thing that was bad was the lack of information and the organisation of things if this hotel wants more brits they need to be more geared up then they are give information and have more going on to suit our taste.
Nothing to do with the hotel but the flights with Thomas cook where awful especially on the way back. The food portions where very small and not value for money, the plane was filthy. They had the cheek to sell earphones for a movie screen that was green! And quite far from where we where sitting. I asked for water never arrives. Asked for a pen to fill in their questionnaire never got it and I asked for ice never got that either. The prices for drinks took the Mick and overall it was rubbish. I have flown many times with Thomas Cook and they have never been great but at least the planes are normally clan and the food not bad me thinks things are going downhill. Take your own food from the airport and your own soft drinks.
On The plus side of the holiday it was mad hot the pool was clean plenty of beds nr the beach, nice views and sunsets, nice Al a Carte and overall nice staff (note they where nicer a few days before we left). Nice rooms. decent resort even though you have to travel (there is nothing outside the hotel for a 20min walk in 100 degrees that’s a long walk) I wouldn’t go back personally but it was for a week and you don’t want to be bothered with any entertainment then give it a go. Just not my cup of tea I am afraid too soulless and lacking that sparkle, it could be so much more.

4  Thank caroleblakeley
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed 7 July 2009

Went to Sealight with my boyfriend and had a great time! Lots of things to do in the day...chill by the pool, go to the beach, go on the water slides,aerobics and water polo (organised by the entertainment team), play tennis/table tennis/football//basketball all organised by the entertainment team as well or free of charge to use when you want to. There are also water sports down the beach for an additional charge. At night there are many bars to choose from, i recommend the one by the pool as it had a band playing every night or the balcony terrace looking over the pool where you can sit and drink on comfy sofas or swinging chairs. The food was good, always having lots to choose from, the four a la carte restaurants made such a difference as it was nice to have a meal served to you rather than a buffet every night. The four a la carte restaurants are Italian, Chinese, Kebab and Seafood. You can choose which ones you want to eat at or try all four. All off them have very nice food with beautiful settings, i would recommend going to them all. The hotel is very clean, with lots of staff always willing to help. Overall a great holiday and I wish i was still there right now!

If Ruby and George are reading this, hope you are well and had a nice second week . Lovely to meet you

2  Thank saz5England
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We travelled to Kusadasi with another couple. The hotel was an excellent choice! Plenty of food, very tasty and good looking. Rooms were very tidy. Helpfull staff. Clean pools. I would go back to Sealight in a minute!

Reviewed 19 June 2009

Hard to find fault with this hotel, we booked in Jan 09 and got an excellent deal. We arrived at 10pm and sandwiches were made available for us. Some trouble with a few rooms not in the locations we requested but eventually this was sorted out – so check your room before you take bags and ask for a change if you are not happy. The majority of the staff were fantastic – very helpful, friendly and courteous. We did have a problem with an aggressive porter who demanded a tip (not sure if they get paid a wage – this might be their only income?). We tipped the bar waiters 1 TL each time and they were very happy (there were 11 of us, so big rounds of drinks!).
Can’t say the same for the guests – Brits were in the minority – and we think mostly Russians at the hotel. Release from their oppression appears to turn them into extremely rude and bad mannered people?
The food was plentiful and pretty good; available from 7am to midnight. You have to expect the usual buffet style and ingredient repeats in the main restaurant. But the outdoor bbq each night provided lovely meals and the afternoon cakes and ice creams had us heading back from the beach early each day to marvel at the range of beautiful cakes (this might explain the group weight gain). There were also 4 al a carte restaurants – we tried 3 of them and the Turkish and Chinese were pretty good. But book as soon as you can as there is limited seating. The al a carte is a great idea and the hotel should be congratulated for it.
The rooms were good (not 5 star by UK standards) – and here’s my one criticism – no access to irons. The cleaners did a great job and towels changed every day. As could the beach towels. Only take a pool side balcony if you don’t mind a lack shade on them in the afternoon – we couldn’t use ours really for this reason – could also be noisy at night – owing to the layout of the hotel (arc) the noise from the terrace loungers (great leather loungers here) could be amplified.
Entertainment was average and what you’d expect – singers pelting out Dire Straits. We didn’t go to the onsite night club – looked very quiet – but if you can entertain yourself after midnight you’ll be fine (bars stay open late). Location is 10 min drive from Kusadasi – so you have to make an effort to get off site of an evening – we didn’t bother.
The pool was exceptional, 40m plus. Filtered sea water. And the beach terraces were gorgeous and the private beach very nice – serviced by very clean toilets and showers. Bit of a challenge to get a pool side lounger – just get up early!
All in all a great hotel – if you are looking for all inclusive where every need is catered for on one site – you would be hard pushed to find a better hotel than this – the staff and facilities are excellent.

• Stayed: June 2009
1  Thank catjm
Reviewed 17 June 2009

Have just stayed at this hotel for a week (6th June) and I can only echo the comments made by Sita_the_Cat in her review on May 19th. This was our first trip to Turkey and we would definately go back. It was my birthday whilst we were away and we asked for a room upgrade. We were allocated one of the 'red door' rooms, a superior room (and they delivered fruit & wine to the room on my birthday). Whilst the room itself was lovely, the bed was probably the hardest I have ever slept on. We did complain the next day, but nothing was done about it. However, it was the only blight. Our room had a magnificent view of the pool & sea from our balcony, although it was very hot as we got the sun all afternoon until sundown. The staff were very friendly, you may have a to wait a little while to get served drinks in the restaurant, but they do get to you (with a smile and a greeting usually). We found the staff to offer a high level of courtesy, which has not been matched by anywhere we have stayed in recent times. And I have never seen so many staff! Waiting on, bar, cleaners, pool staff, they seemed to be everywhere like busy bees! The food selection was as in the previous review I mentioned, it is certainly not Anglesised, and there are no pork products, so if you like bacon & sausage for breakfast then this isn't for you. There wasn't a lot of meat on offer, but what there was was fine and we certainly didn't starve (and we are quite fussy eaters). I do think they are trying to cater for all nationalities (they did have roast turkey carvery with carrots and sprouts on one night!). I have never seen such a variety of food selections at every meal time. There are usually grill chefs preparing food as well (omelettes & pancakes at breakfast time, pasta at lunchtime, meat or fish dish evening), and you can get things like fresh smoothies made up. You can actually do a bar crawl in the hotel there are that many choices, depending on your preference (quiet cocktail bar, baby grand piano & violinist in the 24 hr lobby bar, jazz/easy listening in the pool bar, lively family orientated activities at the ampitheatre). There is a night club as well, but on the Saturday night we counted 10 people! The hotel's cleanliness was amazing, we did get some flies in the main restaurant at breakfast time (pet hate), but I don't recall them at other mealtimes as much. We went in to Kusadasi on 1 night and had a meal, it was fine but bustling even at this time of year. The pool area is very child friendly, with a very gently sloping main pool. The deepest part is about 5 foot, but it starts off at nothing. The hotel provides a childrens food selection area (incl microwave) and opens half an hour before the main mealtimes for kids, and you can get pizza, burgers, spaghetti at the pool bar for snacks during the day. You can also get cartons/bottles of drinking water from all the bars. There are a lot of steps, we regularly saw couples carrying prams up/down steps to the different levels of the hotel, and I don't think it would be great if you have walking difficulties. The hotel provides a regular buggy service to/from the beach bar, but then there are still more steps to get down to the beach/sunbeds. It was quite peaceful at the beach area, unlike the pool area! Radio Sealight starts at 10.30am and finishes around 5.30pm, and plays a very wide range of music (War of the Worlds anyone?!), easy listening through to club style, so you would need a wide musical appreciation to enjoy it all. We alternated to get the best of both. The hotel does ask that people don't reserve sunbeds - but they do and you can't blame the Brits here as there weren't many of them! Some beds were taken by 7am.
Currency - we weren't sure what to take, we had been told to take lira or sterling. We took a mixture, and used both. The restaurant we ate at in Kusadasi took sterling and we didn't feel we had been 'diddled' by them, however we couldn't say the same everywhere - beware of the price of soft drinks in the hotel shop - they price in Euros and are ridiculously high. Apparently you can change your sterling over at a better rate than in the UK in the town but we didn't bother as we didn't intend to spend a lot. We booked via Travel Republic and had no problems. We booked a private taxi transfer and it was worth the extra cost! We were able to take small bottles of water through the airport at Izmir, which was a help as the costs in the cafe were high. I hope you find this review helpful. Don't get me wrong, the hotel prob wouldn't suit everyone, and we did hear some fellow Brits complaining (about piddling things in my opinion) but for us it was a wonderful holiday.

1  Thank jupiter1Merseyside