“Easy on the pocket-VERY LOCAL”

White Sail Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #141 of 1,060 Restaurants in Hoi An
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I had dinner at the White Sail on a recent trip to Hoi An based on a recommendation from the concierge at the MGallery. I asked her where she normally eats and this is where I was directed. I had two dishes based on what she had written down. Fortunately I had one correctly listed, it was a seafood salad with local veggies. This was very good and incredibly fresh. Unfortunately the second dish I thought I was order came to my table as chicken, chopped butcher style on the bone, VS. the Pork I thought I was getting. This too was good but Chicken cut on the bone is hard for this westerner to eat. I've had it many times in China and it's just a little too meticulous. That said, I was able to get enough meat off the bone and put the veggies that came with the chicken, the sauce and the meat over rice and it was excellent. If you like eating local, then this is your sport in Hoi An near old town. There are a plethora of other food options in this area, that said, if I had more time, I would go back to the White Sail and try and order the RIGHT thing.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

Situated in a narrow lane is this local seafood restaurant the White Sails Fresh Seafood (Canh Buom Trang). The favourite local restaurant for locals. This is a Vietnamese restaurant. We got the address from a hotel staff. After a few enquiries as we searched for the restaurant as we walked through the crowded Ancient Town we finally found it at 2/24 Le Loi An Quang Nam(Tel: 0905 575 213) situated just outside the Ancient Town. When we arrived the restaurant at 7 pm (26 June 2017), it is already quite full and a few tables reserved. We ordered crab, prawns, mango shrimps salad, scallops, fish, lalla and fried rice. The crab was steamed with sour plumb sauce, scallops steamed with sea weeds, lalla in onion, garllic and spring onions, steamed prawnd dipped with saly/pepper in fresh lime, and steamed grupa (eat either with fidh flesh in rice paper with lettuce and herbs or dip in soy sauce), and fried rice. With beers and soft drinks for 4 adults and one child the bill was 2.18 mil Dong. Lived to its name, the seafoods are real fresh and nicely cooked Vietnamese style. No regrets having to search for the restaurant. Worth a venture.

Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

I visited this restaurant after reading the reviews as I simply love the way that seafood is spiced and flavoured in authentic Vietnamese cuisine. What I ended up with on my plate was actually a world away from what I'd read in the reviews. As mentioned by previous reviews, they have an impressive Vietnamese and Asian clientele. Whether this means that they do not have to worry so much about the impression they leave on 'foreign' customers or they water down the spices and flavouring in the dishes for what they assume a 'foreign' palate prefers, I do not know, but my dish was bland and, for what I received, overpriced even by tourist prices. Only having a short stop of 5 days in Hoi An, I am disappointed that I wasted one of my meals on eating here when there are so many other great options, local or not, around town. Other reviews have mentioned that there are two prices, one for tourists and another for locals. While this doesn't bother me so much, what does is the price against the quality of the dish and the flavours. This is actually the most expensive meal I have had in my past 15 days in Vietnam and definitely the most disappointing. Unless you are going with a local person or don't really like a lot of flavour in your meals, I'd probably recommend you try somewhere else.

1  Thank SellarsAbroad
Reviewed 27 February 2017

A hard to find restaurant that is very much frequented by the locals. The food is very good but be advised the setting is well, local. Great value.

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

The fact that it was mainly locals eating there was a good indication that it was authentic Vietnamese food. The fish and shellfish were live in tanks and cooked to order. We had fresh crab hot pot which was delicious but a bit of a challenge to eat with chopsticks. Really reasonable prices.