Mama Out of Africa
US$658
US$581
AVANI Victoria Falls Resort(Livingstone)
US$319
US$46
US$42
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsacross the riverzambezi riverdeckwildlifeafricabankshipposaccommodation
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I stayed in a new pre-fab bungalow while our adult children shared Mama. It was the best of both worlds; the quirky fun of Mama Out of Africa with her outdoor-under-thatch table perfect for playing cards to the modern bright bungalow with a comfortable bed and an even more expansive river view.

Of note is that both Mama and the bungalow were meticulously clean. That means a lot when you are staying in an old lady like Mama with all her nooks and crannies.

Also recently added to Kayube Estate is a small caged pool in the Zambezi. What a nice touch!

Although not stated on the website travelers should know that self-catering includes bedding and towels as well as all the usual cooking utensils and other kitchen items tha make food prep easier. And while it it probably changesdepending on what earlier travelers leave behind Mama had plenty of spices in her cupboards.

It is amazing how restful and beautiful this special spot along the river not so far from Livingstone can be.

Room Tip: I love how clean, bright, modern and self-contained the bungalows are. It's amazing how little space is actually needed when clever design is employed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2013

We stayed in September 2013 for four nights at the Kayube Zambezi River House, the Mama's "big sister" house located on the same estate just a few dozen meters away. Karien and Peter were extremely hospitable and ensured we enjoyed all the best experiences Livingstone has to offer. The house is sparkling clean, fully equipped, very comfortable, and the area is perfectly safe with staff on the premises 24/7. The view is breathtaking and the whole place feels exquisitely intimate. Make sure you wake up for the sunrise -- a truly Out of Africa moment.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2013

We recently enjoyed a wonderful week at the ‘Mama Out Of Africa’ on the Zambezi River, about half an hour out of Livingstone.
We loved staying so close to the river. The Mama is unusual, quaint, weird and wonderful and perfect for a getaway ‘à deux’. Lots of nooks and crannies where you can cuddle up and watch the different moods of the river. Great watching the wildlife that stroll into view on the other side of the river, many birds and the resident hippo’s grunting away up or downstream. We even heard lions roar and the trumpeting of elephants!
The Mama is for anyone looking for something different. Sitting alongside the bus (which is the accommodation and kitchen), under the cool shade of the thatch roof and with everything nearby, looking at the game on the other side of the river, we really felt part of “Out of Africa”.
We loved the outside shower and the upstairs viewing/reading/snoozing deck too. Not to mention the sunset cruises with Karien and Peter, thanks for everything!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2012

I stayed at the Mama for one week in November, 2012 and I have to say this was one of the best experiences I had in Southern Africa. I really felt at home with hosts Karien and Peter who went out of their way to ensure I was comfortable and enjoyed Victoria Falls and Livingstone!

I was met at the airport and driven the 20-30 minutes through real Africa to the "Mama", which is located on a big property sitting alongside the Zambezi River and overlooking the Zimbabwe National Park. Sitting with a Gin and Tonic in the afternoon I could count numerous animals drinking from the other side of the river!

It is such a neat place to stay... it felt like I was a real intrepid traveller albeit a lot more comfortable! The outdoor bathroom was really cool and nothing could beat that sunrise and sunset each day. It had everything I needed to prepare my own light meals and I was lucky enough to be taken on a evening cruise with Karien and Peter.

I hope to visit Africa again in the near future and will definitely have the Mama on my list for a week of R&R.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank lukefordaustralia
livingstonezambia, Owner at Mama Out of Africa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2012

Thank you Luke. It was great having you stay with us for a week and we very much hope you will be back next year. The Australian flag will be out on the Mama when you arrive.
We will be adding a few cottages on the property. All nicely hidden away like the Mama is. You can bring a few more friends next year.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We have just been to Zambia for our first visit and stayed at "Mama" We both Simply loved it. clean, unique - man I miss that river - oh and the shower. Peter & Karien were great. we unfortunately had only 3 nights there but is is a must. we were there to celebrate 35 years of marriage. It was definitely worth it. Those sunrises!!

The upstairs "deck" was special

Room Tip: Get up early to watch the sun rise.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple