“Typical Zambian village”

Mukuni Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 9 November 2016

Mukuni is a very typical Zambian village that also has the palace of the local chief.

There is also a small market where you can buy some beautiful local hand made crafts - but barter. Offer half of the requested amount and SLOWLY work your way up. If the price doesn't suit you walk away and you will normally get a reduction in price.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

We visited this village with our driver. We enter to one house to see how they live. Caroline welcome us and show her houses and activities. They have kitchen building in the midle where they cook food and dine.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

This was a memorable experience, but made difficult by awareness of the economic difference between the people of the village and those of us who visit. I had no idea what to expect and was hesitant to go through the tour when I arrived, but I am glad I did.
This is home to a local tribe and you are witnessing their daily life. There is no staging, but people going about their usual routine. You are guided by one of the residents who speaks English and who gives an explanation of how they live and provide for their families. I was supersized by our guides candor and openness in answering all our questions.
The people are wonderful, they are friendly, gracious, and kind, especially the children. Although the king and his sister the queen are not to be seen, we were welcomed into the home of a local family. It was a privilege to see the care and creativity that goes into taking humble items and making decorations for their surroundings.
The most difficult part of the tour is when you go through the shelter where their crafts are on display. There are about a dozen vendors and all of them want you to buy something but, it helped to know the villagers share with one other from what they receive. I suggest that you go with extra local currency to make a contribution by giving a gratuity to your guide and purchasing items from several craftsman. They are a proud people who are doing what they can to support their families and this is a great way to help them help themselves.
I highly recommend that you go not just to see how they live, but to contribute to their lives.

1  Thank cre8ifsol
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

This is a good place to see how the locals live.They are changing.but still live in huts.The chiefs palace is no entry.

Reviewed 25 August 2016

This is an authentic village,with around a population of 8,000.We were escorted around the village by a guide, who was a native of the village.It was a very informative and interesting tour, which I can highly recommend.You hear and see things in the media, but nothing like the real experience.People were very polite & friendly, children keen to be photographed and we saw some of the villagers making items, which were on sale in the curio market.
Tourism is the main source of income and you will be expected to show your support.So be prepared to buy lots.Not sure they are that up to speed with exchange rates, as it was pricey, however bartering is expected.Lot's of stalls, so felt quite pressurised and ended up just giving things I had in my bag.I wish I had thought about taking more items with me to give them, like pens,pencils,little toys,balls,toiletries.It just didn't cross my mind when I was packing & maybe the tour companies should highlight this.I have subsequently learnt that the Butterfly Charity help the village and hope to be able to show my support in the future thrugh them.

1  Thank LMCKOO1