“Visiting this 700-year-old village in Zambia near the Falls was a valuable experience.”
Review of Mukuni Village

Mukuni Village
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 29 December 2016

So much of what is seen around the Falls seems very touristy, and I was longing to understand more about life away from the tourist attractions. While my guide also helped me visit Chinotimba, the non-tourist living area on the edge of Vic Falls, his grandffather had come from this village and he suggested a visit. Coming from Vic Falls, you pay the taxi from the border ($15) and then pay the village an honorarium for welcoming you ($10). A guide (in our case, a very lovely lady who explained so much) takes you through the compounds, which have apparently existed for 700 years. She explains the legends of the chiefs (there is a male and female) and, There is a tree under which Livingstone apparently met the then-chief. if you're courageous, you can try the local homemade beer (warm and a bit mealy) and a stronger brew that tastes a little like "moonshine." At the end, you are escorted to the community center where all the men display their wonderful crafts. I was glad I waited to look at all before making purchases--there is a stunning array of products. It is also customary to tip the guide.

1  Thank rebekah_jorgensen
in 7 reviews
in 5 reviews
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 9 November 2016

Mukuni is a very typical Zambian village that also has the palace of the local chief.

There is also a small market where you can buy some beautiful local hand made crafts - but barter. Offer half of the requested amount and SLOWLY work your way up. If the price doesn't suit you walk away and you will normally get a reduction in price.

Reviewed 7 November 2016

We visited this village with our driver. We enter to one house to see how they live. Caroline welcome us and show her houses and activities. They have kitchen building in the midle where they cook food and dine.

Reviewed 31 October 2016

This was a memorable experience, but made difficult by awareness of the economic difference between the people of the village and those of us who visit. I had no idea what to expect and was hesitant to go through the tour when I arrived, but I am glad I did.
This is home to a local tribe and you are witnessing their daily life. There is no staging, but people going about their usual routine. You are guided by one of the residents who speaks English and who gives an explanation of how they live and provide for their families. I was supersized by our guides candor and openness in answering all our questions.
The people are wonderful, they are friendly, gracious, and kind, especially the children. Although the king and his sister the queen are not to be seen, we were welcomed into the home of a local family. It was a privilege to see the care and creativity that goes into taking humble items and making decorations for their surroundings.
The most difficult part of the tour is when you go through the shelter where their crafts are on display. There are about a dozen vendors and all of them want you to buy something but, it helped to know the villagers share with one other from what they receive. I suggest that you go with extra local currency to make a contribution by giving a gratuity to your guide and purchasing items from several craftsman. They are a proud people who are doing what they can to support their families and this is a great way to help them help themselves.
I highly recommend that you go not just to see how they live, but to contribute to their lives.

1  Thank cre8ifsol