“The best for Authentic German Cuisine”
Review of Black Forest Adler

Black Forest Adler
Ranked #3 of 153 Restaurants in Amherst
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Authentic German Cuisine from Authentic German Chef! Owner/Chef Gerhard Braun specializes in Swabian cooking (Southern Germany) with homemade, from scratch recipes. Find your favorites here - Sauerbraten, Schnitzel, Spaetzle, Apfel Strudel, real Black Forest Cake. We are located in a little plaza just south of Ellicott Creek Rd (next to the Classics V Banquet Center). Plenty of parking behind the plaza.
Reviewed 8 August 2017

I have dined at this restaurant multiple times and have always ordered the special. Never dissatisfied with any meal. Serving sizes are more than adequate and I have never left hungry. German Beer available as well as local. German food prepared by a German is always best!!

1  Thank jwperson

Reviewed 14 July 2017

Great meal, great prices friendly atmosphere and people. Good place to celebrate an event. German highlights and decoration. Really nice selection of imported German Beers! try the German Platter.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

I honestly don't understand the glowing reviews! The parking lot is small and cramped so on a busy night be prepared to walk. We went on a weeknight and we stood inside the door (no hostess to greet us) and waited 10 minutes while servers busted back and forth without even acknowledging us. Finally we stopped one and she rudely clipped, "I can't help you! We're full!" Never in my life have I heard that at a restaurant! I wanted to walk out (another man did just that after he asked for a gift certificate and was rudely told, "Not now"). The couple we were with really wanted us to try the food so we waited another 20 minutes (only 2 chairs in the waiting area). So they did have 2 large groups, but that didn't excuse the attitude. We did get a halfhearted apology from the server and she did try to be attentive the rest of the night. The food: a little underwhelmed. The German salad was a pleasant surprise and should not be missed! Otherwise pretty good schnitzel that was thin but a little chewy and bland. Spaetzel a little too sweet and greasy for me. The meal ended with the server bringing out some black forest cake (tasty but the cake part was a little dry) to make up for our wait. Unless they hired more help or a hostess I would not come back.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

I thoroughly enjoyed my meal this evening. I first selected an Ayinger dark Bavarian dunkel. I could've enjoyed 3 of those excellent biers.
Next I had a sausage sampler. This featured an excellent assortment of three grilled sausages, seasoned sauerkraut with a nice touch of sweetness, and served with fresh artisans’ bread and butter.
My entree was a Swabian platter which featured rouladen which is beef rolled with onion, bacon, and a pickle inbetween. Also served was traditional weiner schnitzel, and maultaschen, which is essentially a Swabian ravioli type dish in which stuffed inside is beef, bacon, pork, and spinach with very tasty crispy onions covering it. Alongside them is the Adler's wonderful spatzle to soak up the wonderful dark mushroom gravy throughout the bottom of the plate.
I also thoroughly enjoyed speaking to my waitress who is an immigrant from Germany with so much insight into her native country, the cuisine, wines, and beers.
Overall, one of the best meals I've had in some time.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

This is a lovely restaurant to go to if you like or would like to try traditional German food. although there is a good variety of other food. The food was delicious and the chef believes in large quantities. I took leftovers home and it was just as good heated up. The service is wonderful and the owner himself came over to our table to ask how everything was. The restaurant is down to earth and has a very relaxed atmosphere.