Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews two nights tatami mats the bus traditional japanese ryokan free coffee free shuttle futon beds hida beef private bathroom dishes baths dinner station town onsen toilet feast
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 January 2020 via mobile

Spent 2 nights in Takayama, a lovely city with feels of Old World Japan. An hour’s bus ride away from Shirakawago, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Be sure to visit, especially in winter!

Staff picked us up from the bus station, everyone was so lovely and friendly! Our package included breakfast and dinner, the food was amazing. The region is famous for its miso and Hida beef, be sure to try them out. Free coffee from 6am to 10am as well in the lobby.

Our room had only a toilet and no bathroom, shower facilities are shared. You can also easily shower at the onsens, not really an issue. Rooms felt quite small, my only complaint.

You can walk to Central Takayama within 5 to 10 minutes, a FamilyMart is located 5 mins walk away.

Overall, a good stay!

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank graceyyyyyy
Reviewed 15 January 2020

My trip to Japan brought me to a wintry alpine stay at Yamakyu. Right from the start, the taxi driver knew exactly where to drop me (halfway pronouncing Oyado Yama...) off to falling snow outside the house. I settled down quickly, rumbling upstairs to my big room with attached bath and toilet. Didn't know what to make of it as it was my first ryokan chosen based on traveller's ranking. #1 it says. At the center was a tea table with seats and that's all. That will later transform into futon beds I was told. Down I go for dinner. I didn't come up until 2 hours later. The raison d'etre for the rest of my stay. That was what "ryokan" experience is during the two hours. Now let me not spoil your whole stay by telling you what to expect exactly. You should experience it like watching a show without knowing the ending.

Let me summarise then. You need not roam Takayama exploring every nook and corner of old or new market (those are overhyped, believe me. Full of day tourists taking selfies etc). You need not ask what's the best of food and entertainment be it hide beef or street food in town. Your only need is to occasionally go out and take some pictures of this beyond words town of winter. Otherwise, this Ryokan should be the main reason why you come to Takayama.

See, you are VVIP from the moment you change into their standard issue sandals packed neatly from start to finish. Others say they feed you. Right. No, that's far from the truth. What actually happen is that they do a 'Be My Guest" out of Beauty and The Beast, in Japanese. Like "Ma chère Mademoiselle, It is with deepest pride And greatest pleasure, That we welcome you tonight And now, We invite you to relax, Let us pull up a chair, As the dining room proudly presents Your dinner!"

Every conceivable dish and taste you have not tried in Japanese (original - not that franchised crap you eat) cuisine you will be served, and be warned. You will gain weight and lots of it. That's the price we paid and will repay again. You have not experienced love over food. Until now. And then the morning breakfast. It's then not a feast nor a buffet. It's a wakeup, hey, its a wonderful world you know spread that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Okay, the rest of the stay? Pray that you will see what I did. Snowing outside. I will show you some pics outside of the Ryokan and by the blessing of Heaven that I got those. Say goodbye to the rest of tourist attractions.

You have arrived. And never check out you hope.

Room tip: If you can get one, that is a blessing enough. Pray.
Date of stay: December 2019
2  Thank edphi
Reviewed 6 January 2020

We were looking for an authentic Japanese ryokan experience and the Oyado Yamakyu came highly recommended. It is everything it is cracked up to be. We booked the full Japanese dinner in our room for two nights. It was tasty, interesting and beatifully served and prepared. The single room was a traditional ryokan experience---one space for sleeping and eating that was converted by the staff each day. It had a private bathroom and was also easy to access the spotless clean communal baths. The room had a balcony overlooking the river. Just absolutely stunning and an experience we will remeber forever!

Room tip: rooms on the river have a great view and are quiet.
Date of stay: October 2019
2  Thank TravelNotDone
Reviewed 6 December 2019

This is an amazing Japanese traditional hotel. Delicious breakfast and dinner included with the service that makes you feel like a king and a queen. It was very unique experience that we will never forgot.
It is a must experience!

Date of stay: October 2019
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Svemish
Reviewed 3 December 2019 via mobile

Like all the other reviews we were very impressed by this hotel. The food is very abundant and if you don’t eat something let them know and they will accommodate your requests. They even provided us with small chairs as we struggled with eating in the floor!

It’s the place to stay for a traditional Japanese ryokan experience!
We slept on tatami mats which I found very comfortable (but must admit I had two, on top of each other!).
Rooms have en-suite toilets and a sink but you use the communal onsen for washing. If I had to find a fault it would be you only get 1 small towel each day and have to take it to the onsen and back to your room wet, it would be nice if they had dry towels or and extra towel to swap over.
Really friendly & helpful staff definitely worth a visit!

Date of stay: December 2019