Open today: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

Google
Ways to Experience Kushiro Marsh Observatory
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 May 2018

Other than the building, there is nothing to see here except a large flat area of land that is supposed to be the marsh...(and it did not look like a marsh to me!) The visitor center is OK, but the outside area offers little. There is a wooded walkway plank that meanders through the parkgrounds overlooking the "marsh" from afar. Other than the museum displays we saw very little of interest.

Date of experience: April 2018
2  Thank Rogerdob
Reviewed 14 April 2018

A complete waste of time, especially for birders. The observatory is more of an architectecural oddity, replete with ample photos on the observation deck of other notable Kushiro buildings. Nice, if second rate hobby architecture is your thing. Those looking for information or views regarding nature, however, may feel as I did — swindled.

After paying 1380¥ for the round trip bus and 480¥ admission, they charge an additional ¥200 to use the binos on the observation level. Really? I had my own, and certainly needed them to see the significant distance off to the marshes. Had there been cranes (no fault of the observatory, simply the wrong time of year), I would have been hard-pressed to to see anything, even with my 10x42s. As it was, all I could see were 5 crows about 400-500 meters out: alert the press.

The exhibit level is a pathetic managerie of sub-wiki-level exhibits. I wish someone had warned me it was such a waste of time!

The boardwalk (no entry fee) is nice, but certainly not as good as Harutori Park, conveniently located in town. The boardwalk yielded 6 species on the one hour 2.5 k loop, while Harutori Park the day before (similar weather) yielded 19 species in 2 hours on its 4+ km circumference.

Maybe kids are somehow mesmerized by the exhibits, but I doubt it. On top of the dry (largely Japanese-only) explanations and the what-can-we-scrape-together-to-fill-this-space exhibits, the exhibit level is kinda dark and creepy (it is quite possible they forgot to turn the lights for us, the only two visitors at that time?), so my guess is children lose interest in a wink.

In short, don’t bother.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Good views from the rooftop of the surrounding area. Not a great deal to see and do inside but worth a short visit.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

We missed the bus from the station and there was at least another hour to another. We caught a taxi for 4000 yen . Expensive I know but the Observatory closed at 4.00 and we would not have arrived in time to see all the displays. We were very impressed with the displays and the amount of English signage. It explained to us about the marsh and placed the history into perspective on how the Cranes were saved from extinction. We went up to the roof top where it was snowing and looked out across the marsh. The lunch looked very reasonable for the set price and we were hungry so sat by ourselves and enjoyed a pleasant pit stop. The souvenirs in the shop were a good quality and not too expensive . After lunch we walked around the boardwalk. Then we caught the bus back to town just as the Observatory was closing.

Date of experience: February 2018
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Very nice walk through the trees. Wonderful views from the observation deck. A quick warning to those taking this tour. The walkway is a raised wooden deck. Very slippery when I was there, recent rain with fresh fallen leaves made for a very slick surface. Watch your step.

Date of experience: October 2017