Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$330
Orbitz.comUS$330
CheapTicketsUS$330
Trip.comUS$339
TravelocityUS$330
TripadvisorUS$330
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 11 June 2018

My husband and I were with an organized tour and stayed here for two nights. We stayed in the traditional Japanese style rooms. The rooms themselves were nice with beautiful views. However I found the layout of the hotel large and confusing. We frequently got lost trying to find our way around.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter S
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Sadly only stayed one night. We had a river view room which had gorgeous views. I was able to visit hotspring twice once on 6th floor and once on second floor. I prefer the one on the 6tg floor since it is bigger and has beautiful sky view outside. Breakfast and dinner were traditional Japanese and should be tried for first timer. Hotel gave us a ride to the near by train station since it was pouring outside the day we left. Would love to come back and stay a few days.

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank crystallee76
Reviewed 13 April 2018

It's within easy walking distance of the railway station, which is also the starting point for the classic Hakone loop of mountain railway, funicular railway, cable car and 'pirate' ship. Very smart reception where we had a cup of green tea while we waited for our room to be ready. Excellent staff who made a genuine effort to accommodate English-speakers in what is a quintessentially Japanese hotel. We had a Japanese style room (Western style is available) with a fantastic river view. It was huge - more like a suite. A superb, very traditional Japanese dinner was served to us in our room in the evening (you have to choose a time). The food is delicious, but it's a fixed menu and some (Western) people might find a few of the dishes a bit challenging. After dinner, they clear up and then make up your futon beds. We found the futons comfortable and slept very well - it was nice to have the window open a bit and hear the river. The same system in reverse in the morning - again, a very traditional Japanese breakfast. If you're craving coffee, you can get it in the lobby. Some rooms have private onsen baths; ours didn't so I tried the public onsen. It was very good, with an attendant who explained what to do (albeit in Japanese) - it's also very traditional, with all that entails.

Overall it's not cheap, but for what you get, and the quality, it's good value.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank S T
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I really wanted our family to experience an Onsen in Hakone. But due to our large size (2 families with total of 10 people) I thought it was going to get too pricey. I found this place on JapaniCan.com. All I knew about it was that it could accommodate 5 people per room and we would get our own open air bath in our room. Total price was about $1000 per room per night. This was by far the best deal I could find.
Hotel/Location: This is a large hotel (by Ryoken standards) and was located pretty close to the train station. You walk through a cute town with lots of shops for about 8-10 mins to get to the hotel. It is situated along the banks of a nice river that added to the peacefulness. You can walk along the river as well. Hotel appears a tad outdated from the outside. On the inside, it had an outdated somewhat luxurious feel. A lot more glitz than I would expect from a ryoken. But peaceful and serene throughout. There were a lot of families as well as old people there.
Service: Fantastic throughout. I really felt pampered. Upon check in, they assigned us an english speaking person. Check in was smooth. We arrived closer to 3pm and our room was ready. Someone took our luggage and brought it directly to our rooms. After checking in, the person escorted us to our room and gave us the tour. Once we got to the room, he made sure to explain everything thoroughly as well. We were then served tea in our room. For the meals, since we were a large group, they reserved a conference room and converted it into our dining room. We were escorted there and everything was laid out. I felt like royalty. While at dinner, our room was turned into our bedroom and everything was laid out. The only place where I think service could have improved were at the public bath. There was a Japanese attendant who did not speak english and it made it difficult to communicate with. But other than that, every thing about the service was fantastic.
Rooms: We had two rooms Japanese style with open air onsens. I think to accommodate us and keep us close, they gave us one of their western rooms (so I experienced both types). Rooms were on the same floor with 3 other rooms in between. The Japanese style room was large. It had a small bar area with a fridge (be careful keeping things in there because they can lock/unlock it from the front desk). The bathroom was separate from the sink and showers. There was a large closet with safe. There was also a separate sitting area with couch and coffee table that had a fantastic view of the river. Very peaceful. The onsen in the japanese room was fantastic. Perfect for our kids to enjoy soaking in. There were ample plugs for charging. The western room was also a similar size. But it also had a bedroom with 2 twin beds. Their onsen appeared to be smaller and without a view. I would have preferred sleeping on a bed. But i doubled up on the mattresses and it was fine. My biggest gripe about the hotel was the wifi. It is only available in the lobby area. Plus my wifi hotspot did not work in Hakone. So that was a bummer.
Food: It was truly a spectacular spread. We got to try so many different items and flavors. For dinner, we had a beef sukiyaki with some sashimi, soup, and a number of other items. I think it totaled around 8-10 items. Initially I thought I was going to be hungry, but at the end, I was pretty full. The kids meal was just a tad different than the adults. The only thing was that there was no menu for ordering alcohol. So I'm not sure if that was allowed or not. You eat on the floor with individual small tables. So its not as intimate. But then again, we had our own private room to do whatever we pleased. We were not rushed and could take our time. For breakfast, we had another big spread and it was enjoyable. Each meal took about 1.5 hrs.
Amenities: The hotel is fairly large. There are 2 separated public bathhouse. One for men and one for women. Each day, they switch it so you can appreciate both. I think the one on the 6th floor was nicer. They had individual tubs that you can soak in. Both had a dry sauna. REally enjoyable to utilize. There is also an area to soak your feet and look over the river. We did this early one morning. There is not fitness facility. There are a few restaurants on site, but we didn't need to use them. There is a karaoke lounge/bar as well as an outdated game room.
Value: The hotel itself is a good value compared to other ryokens. I don't have anything to compare the food with so not sure how it holds up. I did think they served free coffee (based on signs), but we were charged $5 per small cup of coffee. The beers in the mini bars were around $7-8 per bottle. I think you are better off buying stuff in the main street adn bringing it in.

Over all, we had a wonderful stay. We didn't leave until our check out time of 10:00am. Everyone had a wonderful time there.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Saysum
Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

This hotel is about a 5min walk from the Hakone-Yumoto station, which is very convenient, since upon looking for possible hotels/ryokans to book in the area, it appeared most were further than a 5min stroll. The lobby area is very spacious and nice to chill at. The three of us originally arrived about an hour before check in time, so we had to wait in the lobby along with other parties who arrived there early, but I thought it was nice how the employees at least let us sit down and wait around and served us glasses of iced tea while we waited.

The room that my Mom, Aunt and I stayed at was #601. If I remember correctly, the onsen/hot springs for women was located literally right next door to our room, so it was convenient for those of us who took advantage of using the onsen (I did not, since I have a few large tattoos - unless they recently changed the policy, guests with noticeable tattoos aren't allowed in their hot springs). I asked my Mom and Aunt who used the onsen how it was like and they stated that it was wonderful. The actual room we stayed in was large, it was more than enough space for the three of us, even with the futons spread out, it was spacious. This was made partly by the fact that there was an area near the windows that had a table and chairs that was built so it was to be clearly used separately from the main tatami area. I thought the view that we saw from our room was beautiful - you could see the nearby mountains and the river, along with a bunch of different bird species, which was what I enjoyed looking at. I saw herons hanging out by the river, hawks soaring and some other small birds flying around, things I would not see in my daily life of living in a city. The windows did open so you could let some fresh air in and you could hear the sound of the river flowing (they open the windows when the employees come to set your futon and put it away), but it is definitely a good idea to keep the windows closed when it gets dark, since there were SO MANY BUGS AND SPIDERS that hung out, right on the outside of your glass window. Likely because it's right next to a river and near the mountains, but seriously, by all means, keep the windows closed when it gets dark, unless you don't mind all those bugs coming in. . . there were seriously, A LOT of them.

The food that the employees delivered to your room during breakfast and dinner was very good, I especially liked that the sashimi was served on top of a mesh rack that rested on top of a round piece of rice, this really helped to keep the fish cool and fresh tasting, since lukewarm sashimi doesn't have that same fresh tasting sensation. The food that was served was understandably different for the two nights we stayed here, but the vast majority of it was fish-related, which is pretty much typical of Japanese food. They served lobster and abalone among other dishes, during the first night and then small portions of crab legs and steak during the second night, while we were there. Breakfast was mostly veggies, seafood and fish, the only meat served was a sliver of what looked like a piece of ham/bacon on top of a salad. This is typical of a traditional Japanese breakfast - it may be strange to those not accustomed to it, but I'd say just go along with the experience of trying out different types of food while you're in Japan, you can always go back to eating American food, once you're back home in the states.

The only problem/issue that I had while I stayed here was that the door to the toilet had inadvertently locked from the inside, after my Aunt used it and when I was about to use it, the door didn't open, so I had a mild panic attic, since I obviously didn't expect for something like that to happen. Not sure if the door commonly locks by accident like that or if it was a fluke, but it was a huge inconvenience and I ended up having to rush to one of the restrooms down the hallway that the employee (who thankfully happened to be right outside of our room) directed me to. So, be careful of the door to the toilet, since it is possible (due to the locking mechanism of the door), for it to lock from the inside by accident, if you close the door all the way, upon exiting.

It's good to note that the free Wifi that's available at this hotel is only limited to use in the lobby area (as of when I stayed here in mid Sept. of 2017). Ideally, if it was available in all the guest rooms, if would've been better, especially since the hotel is kinda on the expensive side (not super expensive, but it definitely wouldn't be considered a budget friendly hotel), but at the very least, the Wifi worked fine and it was easy to connect and stay connected while you were using it, instead of other places I've stayed at in Japan where there were constant issues with even connecting. For me, it was pretty much a once in a lifetime experience to stay here at this hotel and visit Hakone, but overall, I had a positive experience here and would recommend this hotel, due to the proximity of the hotel to the train station, the level of service received by the employees, the food delivered to your room (and the quality/variety) and the size of the room itself.

Date of stay: September 2017