“Best pork tonkatsu!”

Price range: US$7 - US$9
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

I've lived in Japan almost 10 years, and had my favorite pork tonkatsu ever at this small counter-style restaurant. Very crispy and flaky, without being greasy. My boyfriend and I both enjoyed the curry set meal which came with a wonderful homemade miso soup and delicious pickles. Run by a lovely elderly lady & gentlemen, it's located lakeside and is well worth a drive from central Nikko for lunch or dinner. Be sure to take the route through the curving roads of Iroha-zaka and enjoy the views along the way.

1  Thank Cordelia B

Reviewed 13 June 2015

Stumbled upon this restaurant while walking along the shore of the lake. Saw a queue at 1130am outside this shop. Decided to join in the queue. Worth waiting for the food. Generous portions. Value for money. Service was great. Would highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 2 January 2015

This small restaurant (appx 8 seats) is located just opposite to the beautiful lake in Nikko. We were struggling to find the location at first but decided to go inside of this restaurant with the questions in mind if it is the one that we were looking for?? Having read through the reviews again while waiting for the foods and we knew it was the one (the menu, the number of the seat and etc). We were their first group of customer and just 20 minutes later, there was the queue outside! The food served in a huge portion and we were agreed that the taste was superb! My friends had Tonkatsu and said that it was juicy and crispy, just perfect cooked! While I had beef curry, nice one;)

However, unlike the other restaurants, shops or hotels we had visited during a few days in Japan, the owner of this restaurant was the only one that seem not to welcome foreigners like us. Why I am saying this? Yes, because they made us feel.

When we first stepped into the restaurant, the old lady showed the sign on her face that she was not welcoming us, gave us the menu without looking at us and turned her face away quickly...I was thinking, is this lady is Japanese?!? Why she was so rude to her customers like this?!? Or is she in the bad mood? Not even get the answer yet, the locals came in and were treated differently! By this point, I could only think that she is a foreigner-hater. We love the food but will not recommend for those who are not Japanese to come. What's a shame!

7  Thank Labux
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Greta Tonkatsu (common Japanese fare), superb value, fast friendly service and very clean restaurant. Lovely view of the lake and not at all "chintzy" like some of the eateries around the area. Just good food at a good price cooked fresh.

3  Thank AAXandLolly
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Food: Really, really fresh tonkatsu. I think it is because the cutlets come from the butcher shop next door (probably the same owner). The lean cut is more expensive but my friend and I found the slightly fattier cut more tasty, particularly with a dash of the mustard provided.

Fantastic value, but be prepared to queue - there are only eight seats at a counter. Table turnover is rapid though.

Location: Stumbled across this place by accident because it was during a typhoon warning, with really miserable English-like weather so we could not see Chuzenji-ko in its glory. Across the street from Lake Chuzenji docks. There is limited parking. The sign above the shop to the right says "Meat Shop". The best way to find it is by your nose - that's what attracted us in in the first place!

2  Thank Footloose_Ed