“Good Reason to Learn Simple Japanese”
Review of Tonkatsu Asai

Tonkatsu Asai
Ranked #34 of 831 Restaurants in Nikko
Price range: US$7 - US$9
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Reviewed 19 August 2017

The tonkatsu was as good as what the other reviewers have unanimously said. The wait also needs to be accounted for so being there early is recommended.

To not get on the old lady's angry side, I was ready with my order when she brought me a cup of water after I sat down. I pointed to what I wanted and said "kore wo kudasai".

When I was finished, I paid with exact change and belted out a clear "gochisousama deshita" for my appreciation for the food.

She didn't make eye contact but was quick to respond with a courteous "arigatou gozaimashita". With that, I escaped unscathed with a belly's worth of some very best tonkatsu Japan has to offer and so can you!

1  Thank Botayone

Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

The tonkatsu is great no doubt but there is only 6 seats in the store and waiting time cross over one and a half hour for around 15 people in front . The price quality ratio is impressive but I would think I prefer to eat at a restraurant which do not need to queue even if it means higher price.

Reviewed 10 November 2016

One of the best curry tonkatsu's I've had.
The meat was tender without being greasy.
The fried cutlet didnt taste like oil and was super crunchy.
Rice was perfect. Nice and consistently fluffy.
The curry was complex. It had spices and little bits of beef to give it additional savory flavor.
Pricing wise, most things are around 1000 yen. This was great price for my curry tonkatsu as it included miso soup and some pickled veggies.
As a fat american, i felt like i was overeating here as there were 5 pcs of tonkatsu for my lunch meal set.

Menus are in japanese and in english. It also includes pictures.

I will easily hands down give this place a 5 if it wasnt for the wait. the restaurant opened at 11:30am, and the line at 11:35 was 20+ deep. They only have 6 seats. So if you get here at 10:40, plan to wait 1+ hr if the line is long. since nikko area is a tourist spot, get to know your friendly japanese or foreign visitor while you wait in line. also place is only open for lunch from 11:30am to 2pm. So if you dont want to wait, come by 11am. I heard this place is not consistently open for dinner. So check to make sure.

1  Thank JFC1983
Reviewed 9 October 2016 via mobile

I've lived in Japan almost 10 years, and had my favorite pork tonkatsu ever at this small counter-style restaurant. Very crispy and flaky, without being greasy. My boyfriend and I both enjoyed the curry set meal which came with a wonderful homemade miso soup and delicious pickles. Run by a lovely elderly lady & gentlemen, it's located lakeside and is well worth a drive from central Nikko for lunch or dinner. Be sure to take the route through the curving roads of Iroha-zaka and enjoy the views along the way.

1  Thank Cordelia B
Reviewed 13 June 2015

Stumbled upon this restaurant while walking along the shore of the lake. Saw a queue at 1130am outside this shop. Decided to join in the queue. Worth waiting for the food. Generous portions. Value for money. Service was great. Would highly recommend this place.