“Worth the time”

Japan Gray Line - Day Tours
Ranked #87 of 292 Tours in Tokyo
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I am a fairly experienced traveler who had to go to Tokyo on business but had never been to Japan and only had one day to see it. As much as it pained me to take such a “touristy” tour - I usually do the more intimate “off the beaten path” kind of things - I decided to give it a try, knowing I would be back. I had very low expectations, so it would be hard to disappoint me. At the beginning, it was what I expected - cattle call checking in, going to other hotels to get a variety of tourists, etc. But as the day progressed, I relaxed a bit and just went with it. I did the Grand Tokyo day tour by the way, and included the lunch option. The lunch was actually fairly decent. I also met some other individuals that were in the same situation as me, and by the end of the day, we all agreed that it was time well spent - particularly the afternoon half (though our guide Hashimoto was not the friendliest or best English speaker - Jinko, our morning guide, was much better). Overall, I would recommend the tour to someone in my situation.

All reviews
"tour price"
"active volcano"
"lunch options"
in 4 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 4 reviews
"from place to place"

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

I had a wonderful time on this tour. The tour guide, who’s name translated to “Spring” was excellent. She gave us a tour of Tokyo on the way to Mt. Fuji. She also gave as some lessons on Japanese hand gestures and how to count to ten.

We were only able to go to the fourth station at the mountain because of fog. I did get a picture from the apartment I stayed at in Tokyo, so it was okay that it was foggy.

Our next stop was for a Japanese style lunch. The food was good, and I was able to try an assortment of local food.

The next stop was Hakone, an active volcano only because of the steam rising. The volcano has not erupted in over 300 years. Our group rode on a gondola to an area where we could take photos and of course, buy souvenirs.

After the break at the top, the tour bus took us to a dock for a pirate ship ride. There were lovely views of the area. Yes, there was a stand with souvenirs there too.

Our final stop was for the Bullet train. Watching the trains zip past was unreal. I took the train to the Tokyo Metro station and took the subway back to where I was staying. There was an option to take the JR line to Shinjuku Station included, though for me it was easier to take the subway. This is not to say I didn’t get confused at the Metro Station. There is always someone to help if you have a question. It did take me about 20 minutes to find my way.

The tour began at 8 am, and I was back in Nishi-Shinjuku by 7:30. It was well worth the money for the tour. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 13 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed at new ontoni and this was the recommended company to
Book with to see mount Fuji. This extremely expensive excursion promised a coach tour with guide, a authentic japanese lunch, unrivalled views of the amazing mount fuji and a sky taxi to see more views finished with boat tour to see mount fuji from the water.

Tour late to pick us up so we missed breakfast for no reason. On this particular day it had started snowing. When they finally got there the lady joked with us that views ‘might not be great’.

The guide spoke very poor broken english with irrelevant information! The food was cold and not good enough! An orange for dessert! Tap water for drink!

The weather was so terrible that we saw went to the first point and then were told that due to the snow we could not go to any higher points! We were informed that we would proceed to sky Taxi but would not see anything then to the boat and would not see anything!

When i asked the tour lady why was this nor cancelled we have lost our money and wasted a whole previous day of the short honeymoon trip we have not to mention did NOT SEE mount fuji at all she laughed and said i cant control
Weather. They knew full well we would not see anything and should have cancelled. It was unsafe, waste of money and i would not recommend this tour company to anyone! Money grabbing, over selling under delivering liars!

Very annoyed!

1  Thank naz h
Reviewed 3 March 2018

For those on a short visit or on a layover,this was the most quickest way to see Tokyo. I wanted to show the wife Japan on our way back to the states and this tour fits the bill. Since I was stationed here many years ago,I didn't want to get lost trying to play tour guide on the train system. We took the All Day tour,paid the tickets at the hotel which was also the pickup point. Now the Japanese are very punctual people and the schedule is clockwork,so dont be late. After getting on the bus which is very nice btw,they had a number of pickup places to go first before the actual tour began plus battling the morning traffic was starting to be a drag, then they had us move to another bus ( wasn't on the tour schedule) so OK?? whats going on? Whats amusing was that they were still on schedule. As the tour started,the guide started to point out the highlights,unfortunately her english wasnt that good, glad they had those pamphlets in english. Well the tour turned out to be pretty good with lunch (if you signed up for it) food was awesome at a local restaurant and the rest of the day went ahead smoothly,the bus dropping us off at our hotel past 7pm. It was a pleasant experience getting a glimpse of the rich culture by Japan Gray Line.

2  Thank Jim T
See more reviews
Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

The tour guide was nice but his English was terrible, despite his claim that he was the second best English speaker in the tour company. We had to find our own way to the pickup location because they didn’t pickup at our hotel. There were some delays that resulted in us having only a few minutes at certain tour stops so we didn’t get to spend as much time at the places we wanted to see. In addition, the lunch that was included was awful (and did not include Japanese cuisine). And lunch was overly long, once again limiting our time at featured sites. The tour ended at the tour company’s office in Ginza and we had to find our own way back to our hotel.

1  Thank PRSRJS