All reviews great location himeji castle train station hotel room shops and restaurants jo
Reviewed 25 September 2015

Great location near the train station and the shopping arcade that runs nearly all the way to the castle (go that way). We paid $300+ for a microscopic room on a Saturday night on a holiday weekend. The bathroom was 1x1.3 meters (3x4 feet), and that included the tub/shower, toilet, and sink (really). There was a small desk, one chair, and good wifi, but no room safe or closet. We detected no smoke in our non-smoking room, and the street noise was not a problem despite us being on the street side of the second floor (there was no street-side window). There was not enough room to open our two suitcases on the floor without blocking the door. The too-small double bed was wedged between two walls and only accessible from the end, and we could feel the mattress springs (fortunately we were tired enough to sleep anyway). Breakfast was included and was quite good, and it was served on the top floor with a view. The staff were very nice. There were things to like here, and our room might be tolerable for a solo traveler, but we would look elsewhere as a couple because of the bed, and the room size would be a serious problem for more than one night.

Date of stay: September 2015
Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

Hard to say the rooms were up to par. Worst bed during my 16 days in Japan. Needs an upgrade. Staff on the other hand were top notch. They just need better conditions to work with. Rather pay more money for better quality. Being so close to train station, they should do something here.

Date of stay: September 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2015

Normal business hotel with lousiest bed during our stay in Japan - weak springs reminded me of my student days' bed that was cheapest one available. There was lovely origami on it, though, and the hotel is eco-friendly.

Oh, and the elevator door tried to kill us. Many times.

Date of stay: April 2015
Reviewed 24 June 2015

We stayed as a couple in 614. We have spent a good deal of time traveling in Japan over many trips so we know what to expect with a cheap business hotel as far as the limited space and 1980s-vintage rooms.

I have slept in travel trailers, tents, car seats, and an airport terminal floor: this bed was worse than any of those. We were unfortunate enough to have spent two nights at this hotel and it didn't get any better when we slept with our heads at the other end. While the hotel was significantly less expensive than the other options near JR Himeji, the soreness in the morning was a major drain on our energies.

As others have noted, this APA hotel is small and dingy but it is serviceable. I would have rated it a 3-star but the bed was beyond belief. A simple futon would have been far more comfortable. The deep bathtub was a plus though and the free open wifi was useful.

The night desk clerks were a bit arrogant at check-in, claiming that they had tried to call and email to verify that we were arriving (we had asked for a late check-in when we reserved the room and arrived on the last train from Osaka). After a short spate of posturing and pointless keyboarding by his subordinate, the lead clerk honored our reservation although with poor grace. As we did not appear to miss any calls or emails, I would speculate that we received the "this gaijin is annoying me by existing at this hour of the night" treatment and this may well have resulted in our being shunted off to the worst bed in the house. Still, we were not rude or offended and didn't bother to complain as this generally only results in mulish obstinacy and confirmed prejudices, so I usually withhold them even that small pleasure.

Still, with an average bed, I would have stayed at this hotel again. I think the price was around $40 less than the nearby competition per night. If you're the pushy type, you might well try a room first and then make a decision.

Date of stay: June 2015
2  Thank Dave H
Reviewed 13 May 2015

The hotel has all the basics that you need. Hotel prices in Japan is quite expensive so APA Hotel is your typical business hotel. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the hotel for you. But if you are looking for a place to stay that has all the basics and is better than inns and hostel, you may opt to choose this hotel brand.

For APA Hotel Himeji Eki Kita, the location is good. It is around 5 mins walk to JR Himeji station and is a minute or two away from the Miyuki Doori street which leads to the Himeji Castle.

Lots of food options surrounding the hotel and there are malls where you can buy the necessities that you need.

There is also a supermarket right in front of the hotel which is a good plus.
This hotel also has a fair choice of breakfast items. But if you will stay at this hotel for more than 3 nights, you might not want to always eat breakfast here.

BAD thing though is the bed, I don't like sleeping on it. It felt hard and I can feel the springs. I hope that they will change it soon.

Date of stay: May 2015