“No1 sushi restaurant in Beppu”
Review of Hasshin Zushi

Hasshin Zushi
Ranked #29 of 1,037 Restaurants in Beppu
Cuisines: Sushi
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

メチャクチャ美味い寿司屋さん。
A wonderful tasting sushi restaurant.
It must give us a feeling like a shock.
you can eat the best sushi you have ever had.
その味は感動にも値する。
メニューもあるので安心と言えば安心だが、値段もそれなりです。
we can see the menu but the price is depending on.
店の雰囲気は高級フレンチレストランの様です。
Hasshin has a great atmosphere like a French restaurant.

5000JPY〜20000JPY

Reviewed 8 April 2017 via mobile

This sushi was so so so good. It's called into question any experience I had with sushi before.

It was totally unexpected. And so so worth it!

The atmosphere was calm-- unobtrusive jazz is a good accompaniment to sushi. The service was warm and polite.

Each piece was so well prepared and seasoned. Our server gave advice on the when to add kabosu or which soya sauce for which fish and why.

The rice was tender and fresh.

The salmon was like butter.

The ikura eggs popped- so plump.

And the shellfish sushi was so fresh and sweet! (Something like a scallop?)

My husband ate a crunchy fried shrimp head and said it was unexpectedly delicious. He loved the Ebi sushi also of course.

The highlight for us was the Seki Battara (?), the Mackerel Sushi set. A transparent thin layer of kombu (jelly made from seaweed) was so pretty as well as a nice cool soft texture.

We had to negotiate eating the plate of Sushi we got because each was different. I think we'd get matching plates next time.

It was a lovely experience! More than we expected. We chose it on a whim and felt lucky we could get a table there.

There's nothing like this back home, (Ireland or the UK.) I feel like all of my past experiences having Sushi have been all wrong.

The quality is fine dining and very much worth the price. 100% recommended.

4  Thank nearly
Reviewed 9 January 2017

This was the highlight of my visit to Beppu. Each table is in a small separate room so the experience feel very private. We ordered two dishes of sushi, one with 8 pieces and the other with 9. The 8 piece dish was to be eaten without soy sauce, a first for me. The sushi were all seasoned with salt, wasabi and in some cases, leek. I was skeptical at first but my first mouthful of sea-urchin egg sushi blew my mind away. Each piece was completely unique. The size of each sushi is on the small side, so you'll no way feel full after 8 or 9 pieces but the experience is just incredible. We ordered a couple beers at first but then switched to warm sake, which complemented the sushi very well. The two dishes each cost between about 30 and 35 USD, but not so pricey once you get a taste.

1  Thank Yeon Y
Reviewed 5 January 2017

Inventive, imaginative and utterly delicious fare served in a modern style with interesting fusion and a touch of molecular gastronomy. This could well be the best Japanese food I've had anywhere - and I've been a regular traveler to Japan for 30 years; plus I lived there for 2. The chef has an amazing eye for wonderful flavour combinations. Blow fish sashimi? You bet! Foie gras sushi? Yes again. The degustation set menu was stunning with every dish complimenting the ones before and after. Even the deserts were magnificent - which is unusual in a Japanese restaurant! We loved it and it was a very special experience. I now have a new bar set for Japanese fine dining.

1  Thank KiraBeauty
Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

Very traditional sushi restaurant running by a old couple. They don't speak English, but very warm welcoming. Not expensive but traditional, delicious and fresh. Not easy to find in Japan.