“Over-rated in this Restaurant”

Md. Salleh Restoran
Ranked #588 of 1,010 Restaurants in Johor Bahru
Cuisines: Malaysian
Reviewed 13 June 2016

I went and tried this on Saturday morning. The roti is thick but is soft. Not crunchy. But the Roti Planta is nice. The price is high. One piece of Sotong cost RM4 / RM6. Is extremely high. We ordered 5 roti kosong, 1 roti planta, 2 normal nasi lemak and 2 ice milo. Cost us RM40++
I know is Ramadan period. They refuse to serve my Indonesia maid which she is Christian. I told them that she is indonesian but is Christian. The server start saying she is still an Indonesian we shouldnt serve her. Makes my mood turns BAD. But i ignore her and let my maid eat.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is my 2nd take of this roti canai shop - after frequently visiting them every time I am in JB.
Since Aug 2013 - till Dec 2013, the quality , quantity and experience degraded everytime I visit them.

The worst was last week. The only good thing is

Good
- Dhal with sambal - still ok.
- Just need few stir in the pot , it should be thick enough.
- Its roti, still crispy but have negative point now

Not so good
- The roti now is a big as my palm. At RM1.00, two pieces is just equivalent to 1 pieces to other shops.
- Cashier aunty getting grumpier by day, and have the looks that everyone that come to her shop owe their gratitude to her for selling this roti canai. A typical msian shop attitude (after getting good business)
- I misheard her saying RM2.80, and paid RM3, then was yelled " what else u want? It was RM3.80!" . RM3.80 for 2 plain palm sized prata and a nescafe tarik.
- Do not eat nasi lemak RM2.00, the chicken is additinal RM3.50 is overpriced for a small wing.

Tips, if you are driving, please park and display parking coupon. The enforcers are active around this area.

I will revisit again Bukit Chagar as my previous visit was not that good. Maybe its time to give it another chance.
@spc2008 - the roti canai maker is changed, if not mistaken 2-3month back. U can still google for blog reviews of this outlet to see the original roti canai maker.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Wnenever I visit JB., my 1st task is always to find the tastiest roti prata for breakfast the following morning! On my recent trip I was tempted to this 'restaurant' by the reviews written by others. Unfortunately I was very disappointed by the experience! The chef/cook or the owner must have had a bad day? The roti was neither crispe or flakey, or tasty, the curry sauce was watery and very bland, the tea tarik was just that! The 'ambience' was lacking everything, unless you include the 'grumpy' cashier (owner's wife I believe, according to other reviews). But you do get 'proper tables and chairs'! In fact the entire experience was a waste of time, I could have gone to my faviourite eatery at Bukit Chagar. Why do others rated this so highly?

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

Their Roti Canai are flakey and their size are just nice. It's taste is really good. Roti Telur Bawang is really crispy and delicious. Add with a Malaysian drink, Teh Tarik. That wasn't really that good, it's not very nice to drink

Reviewed 11 September 2013

This a good typical malay style roti canai / prata.
Good
- prata is not oily, fluffy and soft. Two plain would not be enough.
- good combination of dhal + sambal. Hits the spot after eating mamak's prata for a while.
- try ordering 'onion prata' or 'pasted prata aka roti tampal' . with fried egg with dripping yolk pasted to a plain prata + the dhal. that's it, my mouth waters each time talking about this.
- You can go top up your gravy/dhal yourself or make your own concoction.

Not so good
- Service can be slow, even on normal weekday morning, if there is any family made a large takeaway order.
- Seating inside restaurant is a bit stuffy. Prefer the pavement (outside)
- Do not eat nasi lemak ayam - RM5.50 is overpriced and its not that good.

For me its the best prata so far in Johor Bahru, until I could test bukit Chagar stall.