See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 September 2014

I stayed in this hotel when I had a trip to Singapore during Malaysia's Independence Day..I would say it's a very high & big hotel..they have 19 storeys..I stayed on the 18th..Once I entered the hotel & met the reception,it's not so much of a pleasant view but the girl at the reception counter was quite nice..When I entered my room, it's a massive room with king's bed...the room & toilet are quite clean & neat...But, my room's view was very pleasant..as I stayed on the 18th, I can see the surrounding town & at night it was beautiful with lights..Morning breakfast is included & they served quite a delicious meal. So overall I must say, the hotel might not get a 5 star from me but with that price, I feel satisfied with the condition, the service & the food...hotels for me are places to sleep, bath, rest & some mean breakfast...if those are served well enough, it's enough unless you really want to be pampered in a luxurious condition, I suggest to find other places..

Room Tip: Rooms that face the Singaporean border.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nadeeya180
Reviewed 21 July 2014

rooms and service was good, price is average and location is the best!

if anyone intend to drive to Johor and visit Singapore on a tight budget, you can parked your car in the hotel as the Johor checkpoint is just 2 minutes walking distance across the road.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This may be the worst hotel I've ever stayed in - anywhere in the world.

My husband, young daughter and I stayed here for 4 days-3 nights in September 2013. It was part business-part holiday. The room was paid for and we didn't want to incur extra cost of travel so we stayed put.

I've rated this hotel very badly because the room, lobby, hallways, lifts were dirty. Felt like the place needed a good vacuum and scrub. And the service was much less than satisfactory. I can't imagine coming back to this hotel.

We stayed in room 1803, it's a family room, I believe. It WAS a big room. But we found loose strands of hair, dirt, dust, sand... on the room floor. Please bring a pair of slippers to use when you are walking around in the room. The pillows smelt really bad. I would put a towel over it to sleep but the towels were dirty and yellow too.

The bathroom was probably the cleanest part of the room. There were moldy corners but it was dust and hair-free! Bring your own toiletries. And while you are at it, your own towels.

The saving grace is that the room was not carpeted. We didn't move to another hotel because this room had laminated floors. I checked online for other hotels nearby and realised most hotels around the area had bad reviews as well and that most had carpeted floors. Those with sinusitis would not appreciate that.

One day, I called housekeeping to come clean the room and change the towels. Housekeeping finally came, six hours later. I called the hotel reception using my cellphone to follow up with this request because the phone in the room did not work.

Saving grace for the hotel - its location. It's located in old Johor town with old shops surrounding it and is close to a big mall where you can find banks, restaurants, etc - about 3 blocks away. Please note, HOWEVER, that the area is a shady area and known for its crime. Even though the police station is located right behind JA Residence.

The restaurant in the hotel is only open for breakfast. We never had breakfast there. We bought cup noodles, bread and milk from nearby 7-Eleven for breakfast.

But wait, the lady at the reception counter was friendly. That's why I gave Service a rating above "Terrible".

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Claudina W
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

I have go thru the review of tripadvisor so I know its not an ideal accommodation, but the hotel was booked by agent.
I was checked in at 10pm, when enter to the room is stinky, AC unable function probably, the bed sheet full with stains, and even the red color water mark.. so u will know that the house keeping nvr change the bed sheet at all.
Same to the bathroom, terrible cleanliness, no towel, shampoo, shower soap. They give us a connecting room but the door lock was spoiled.
I straight forward ask for check out and move another hotel at Mount Austin.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank ChongSY
Reviewed 7 May 2013

OMG..! This is the worst hotel I ever stayed with my family in JB, listed as 2 star hotel but the facilities are horrible.. the rooms are extremely in bad condition, carpets are old and stinks. When I complaint to the reception, they said there is nothing they can do about it, and not even trying to change my room, and the worst washroom ever! Imagine..it is worse than a public toilet! I will not recommend anyone to stay in this hotel unless u are willing to experience the horrible stay and having nightmare about it all.. Don't get cheated by the outer look of the hotel, definitely will not return to this hotel ever! Lousy..Hotel

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family