“Extraordinary location and fantastic food”
Review of Pia's The Padi

Pia's The Padi
Ranked #15 of 516 Restaurants in Langkawi
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: 13 Years old of this restaurant, moved out from pantai ceneng to Ulu melaka, just 7 minuets drive from airport and 6 minuets drive from four season resort or Tanjung rhu resort, we provide pick up and drop on your request.Beautiful Panoramic view, lavish valley and real sun set,peaceful dining experience in middle of real paddy fields.Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner, specialty and recommended by chef jimmy, group booking up to 200 people. COOKING LESSON FROM 10am to 12 noon
Reviewed 18 December 2017

My excitement was tainted by a slightly rude waiter who when I told him about my reservation, said "yes, you called 3 times". The food proved to be the saving grace - it was absolutely sublime. The beef rendang was savoury and scrumptious and was probably the best bit of Malaysian food I had ever eaten. The lamb curry and seafood curry were also delicious. Starters of spring rolls and Pakora (veggie fritters) were also very tasty. Furthermore, the restaurant is in the middle of rice padi fields, which was an interesting backdrop.

1  Thank Brendan F

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

The restaurant is located nearby a paddy field and has interesting decoration. We came with toddlers and the owner was very attentive to our needs. He was very kind to serve us although they were about to close. We had fish sambal, chicken butter masala, beef rendang and mixed vegetables with white rice. The kids had fried chicken and fries. Finished all of them as they were super delicious especially the beef rendang and chicken butter masala.

Highly recommended!

1  Thank NorElizaM
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

You have to try the beef rendang and sambal fish. Cooked to perfect tenderness. The sauce is simply heavenly. The set meal for 2 includes a spring roll, 2 samosas, beef rendang, sambal fish, vegetables, a jug of lime and pineapple juice and dessert (that was far too sweet). It costs RM165.

1  Thank SiruiS1
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

So i have specifically set up a trip advisor account just so i could write this review. My hubby and i came here 30mins before sunset and caught the most amazing view, the whole atmosphere was so serene, wir h egrets and herrons flying overhead. This resturant is run by one family, mum (Pia), dad (Jimmy) and two daughters. Each curry takes at least 6 hrs to cook, and you can certainly taste the dedication to uphold a family recipe. The first bite into my butter chicken masala, took me back to my nanna and poppys place where they had spent half a day cooking a hearty curry and me and my cousins sat in front of the tele eating our curry. We have eaten at some of the highest rated swafood places in Langkawi, but the fish sambal was definitely the best that we have ever eaten.

My hubby and i will be coming back from Australia to vist Pia's the Padi very very soon.

1  Thank acsmiley
Reviewed 11 December 2017

I normally do not leave reviews but I feel compelled to do so. I can still taste Fish Sambal in my mouth just thinking about it.
I have come to Langkawi for a short break of 3 days and I am very glad that we have made a trip to Pia’s restaurant.
We have stayed in Four Seasons resort and had a amazing meal in their Malaysian restaurant. Not cheap but worth every penny. After such a great experience I was very sceptical about possibly that any other restaurant would be able to match the quality of that food.
I am a real foodie and love to cook. After a bit of research on trip advisor and few other websites I have come across Pia’s The Padi restaurant. I have realised that not only that they run a restaurant but also run cooking classes. I have made an of chance enquiry for a cookery lessons and to my amazement the owner agreed to give us a 4 hour cooking class on very short notice.
I have convinced my brother in law who is Malaysian (now lives in London) to come with me on this culinary adventure.
To make things more interesting we have agreed with our wives to join us for dinner after our class.
On our arrival Jimmy (the owner) greeted us and gave us brief explanation of what we would be doing. To be completely honest I was little bit sceptical as place was not up to our usual standards but had to give them benefit of the doubt.
Walking into the kitchen was a relief. It was absolutely spotless. Pia the owner was our teacher and chef. Very knowledgable and very keen to answer all of our questions. We have learnt how to cook few dishes but for me Fish Sambal, Prawn Butter Massala and Beef Rendang were absolute winners. Everything is done from scratch using traditional ways. After cooking each dish it was complete struggle not to eat it all. We knew that our wives would be with us soon and we had to restrain ourself. We have finished our lesson and our wives have arrived, but despite eating a lot of food during the class I could not wait to get hold of the menu and order more food.
I have to admit that the menu brought only confusion. I thought that Jimmy has forgotten that sometimes less is more. His menu was very long and offered from pizza, pastas to burgers etc. Literally offering every possible cuisine. I felt like sitting down with Jimmy and explaining that if he only had those three dishes his place would be very busy and his life would be much easier.
Going back to the food as that was always the most important factor (sometimes the only factor) for me visiting the restaurants. I do carefully read the reviews and hear complaints about decor, service, location etc. I could not care less about those things if the food is exceptional. So do your self a favour and visit Pia’s and three dishes that are absolute must for anyone visiting this place are Fish Sambal, Beef Rendang and Butter Masala Prawns. Mint yogurt salad as a side is also great.
I am about to try to recreate those dishes in London but something is telling me that it will not be the same.

3  Thank Venja J