Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$118
Trip.com
US$363
US$123
Agoda.com
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$97
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$45
US$38
Agoda.com
Grand Borneo Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$24
Trip.com
  • Pool
US$52
US$36
Hotel Grandis(Kota Kinabalu)
US$91
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Eden54(Kota Kinabalu)(Great Value!)
US$32
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
3,955 results
All reviewskinabalu wingsunset barkinabalu clubcafe tatucoco joeschi spastar marinawater slidesborneo loungehorizon clubsister hotelpitch and puttkids clubinfinity poola mountain view roomclub roomlife guards
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I stayed 2 nights there. Both check-in and check-out service were extremely inefficient and it took us a long time to wait and complete the process. It seemed that the staff were easy to mess things up, such as kept your passport and asked you to wait in the lobby but forgot to serve you. So make sure next time you give some extra time when you need to check-out in hurry.

I booked the Tanjung wing twin room. The room was rather small in size compared to other resort hotel's. But the room was clean and the shower was good. The interior deco was rather simple as you see the side-table was old and without taste. It was a cheap piece of furniture.

The hotel provided a lot of free activities like Yoga class. It was really nice to have a session in the Chi Spa area overlooking the sea. However, the health centre needed renovation, e.g. the steam bath was like built in 20 years ago and it was ugly and so small that it could hardly accomodate 5 persons at one time. The jacuzzi was also a very tiny one.

It was a very busy hotel with a lot of Chinese tourists that made the place noisy. For the buffet breakfast, It required some effort to find a table inside the restaurant, for it was quite hot if you sat outside. The waiters were so busy and you needed to serve all things by yourself. Once I requested a glass of water when I sat down, a waitress asked me to go out to get it. It was my first shock in any 5-star hotel that I had ever stayed. Anyway, it provided quite a wide range of food to choose and the taste was okay.

I may not stay in this hotel again as it is too busy and I cannot feel relaxed there.

1  Thank happylittlewood
philipdewar, Resident Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2009

Thank you for your comments and our sincere apologies that your stay with us did not meet your expectations.

Your arrival and dining experiences were not conducted in line with our usual standards and the applicable retraining and briefings were done immediately upon hearing these from you.

I have taken note of your suggestions for improvement which are part of our ongoing upgrading and renovation planning process.

Once again, many thanks for your feedback and I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 20 August 2009

We stayed at this hotel and wished we could have stayed longer, yes it was expensive but with eating in town for a few meals and drinks we kept the costs down. Saying that we had most meals at the poolside bar and though the food was good it was the service staff that made our stay enjoyable. Every member of staff from the gardener to the resort manager greeted us with smiles and a chat.We are already planning for a return visit next year.

1  Thank staynaway

Many thanks for staying with us recently and your kind comments. We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your friendly Sabahan service and I will gladly pass the comments onto my colleagues.

Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 17 August 2009

We used this resort to breakup our nights roughing it in the jungle, on sea turtle island, and Mt Kinabalu. It was a great place to come back to for a nice, hot, clean shower, and great beauty products in the bathroom. This resort is very clean, the staff is kind, and the rooms in the Tanjung wing are up to date and well kept. It is not exactly a resort of serenity, if that is what you are looking for. The hallways are quite noisy at night-we could hear children yelling and crying as they walked through the hallway. The pools are filled with children as well. The beach, though quite small, is much more peaceful. There are not many children there due to the quick drop into deepness. We loved the breakfast buffet. Once of the best breakfast buffets I have ever experienced. If you are in Sabah to experience the natural wonders and want a place to stay in KK this is a great place to do that.

1  Thank Clubu

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to post your feedback.

While I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in our resort, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused to you with the issue on noise from children along the hallway. Rest assured that we will be monitoring this problem.

I have passed on your kind comments about your stay experience to the team. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 13 August 2009

Very pleased we chose this hotel. Only 10 mins from the airport and 10 mins by cheap taxi ride to KK where we ate most evenings. The hotel was very relaxing and the staff at all times were extremely helpful, effiecient and friendly. The Tanjung Wing with seaview rooms was very comfortable and quiet. The buffet breakfast, pools, sunset bar, Coco-joes beach/pool side restaurant and service, shop, Spa, Gym with healthclub, and tennis were all first class and just right for the family. Ferry to the islands and watersports were also easily accessible. We visited the sister hotel Rasa Ria to see the Orang-utans which was well worthwhile but we were 100% glad that we had chosen the Tanjung Aru as it was so far from KK, nowhere nea as picturesque and seemed older and tierd in comparison. KK town not beautiful but fine for eating reasonably in the evening and several shopping plazas. (Don't bother with the new plaza '1 Borneo' - really not worth the trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Blueberry26
philipdewar, Resident Manager at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2009

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share your kind feedback.

We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us and I trust we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2009

My friend and I stayed for 11 days at the Tanjung Aru hotel. We had a wonderful time. The garden was fantastic and the rooms spacy and nice. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Easy access to the islands from the resort. The only drawback was the expensive restaurants and spa. We tried the Peppino, which had excellent food, and Coco Joe, however, most nights we went out for dinner because of the price. We ordered room service with club sandwich one night, which was very good. Top service. We would gladly come back and recommend the hotel to our friends.
Berit from Norway

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Berit2011

Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to post your kind review.

We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and will be coming to visit us again.

As can be seen in some of my other responses on pricing, we continue to monitor and take steps to adjust our pricing and packages which will make the food and beverage prices more affordable while maintaining the quality. Our next steps are to introduce a number of value beverage items at the beginning of September.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback and best wishes from us all.