We stayed here for four nights at the Kinabalu Wing in a Club Room. Would like to state upfront that the room does look like it needs refurbishment. However, the other positives more than make up for our wonderful experience.
Service levels are impeccable. The club lounge staff are friendly and always ready to help. The guest relations officer (Linda) at the Kinabalu Club is very friendly and arranged a surprise birthday song and cake for my wife - it was a complete surprise! I had problems accessing my email on my notebook and Carl from the Kinabalu Club and IT expert Leo helped fix it. On check out I realised I forgot my jacket and I mentioned to Soon at the concierge and he promptly ran up to the room to fetch it for me. On the whole, I find most of the staff genuinely happy working there and I suppose this is reflected in their guests interaction.
The pool area and slides were amazing and very suitable for kids. My daughter loved it. The water sports at their in-house marina and water sports club (called Star Marina) was good. We did the jet ski for 30 mins and did parasailing for 15 mins. The parasailing costs MYR200 for two people at the same time. Jet Ski is MYR300 for one hour. Suggest you just take 30 mins - it is very tiring and you are not allowed to take the jet ski too far away anyway.
Star Marina arranges for a short 15 min boat ride to a place where you can do snorkeling - this is a public area. Poor visibility when we were there and not many corals or fish. However, good spot to swim.
Shang palace Chinese restaurant was excellent - especially the soups. Cafe Tatu was average - we ordered Nasi Goreng and Sup Ekor - costs around MYR60 to 65 a dish.
On the whole, great trip for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah