“Excellent! ”

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for four nights at the Kinabalu Wing in a Club Room. Would like to state upfront that the room does look like it needs refurbishment. However, the other positives more than make up for our wonderful experience.

Service levels are impeccable. The club lounge staff are friendly and always ready to help. The guest relations officer (Linda) at the Kinabalu Club is very friendly and arranged a surprise birthday song and cake for my wife - it was a complete surprise! I had problems accessing my email on my notebook and Carl from the Kinabalu Club and IT expert Leo helped fix it. On check out I realised I forgot my jacket and I mentioned to Soon at the concierge and he promptly ran up to the room to fetch it for me. On the whole, I find most of the staff genuinely happy working there and I suppose this is reflected in their guests interaction.

The pool area and slides were amazing and very suitable for kids. My daughter loved it. The water sports at their in-house marina and water sports club (called Star Marina) was good. We did the jet ski for 30 mins and did parasailing for 15 mins. The parasailing costs MYR200 for two people at the same time. Jet Ski is MYR300 for one hour. Suggest you just take 30 mins - it is very tiring and you are not allowed to take the jet ski too far away anyway.

Star Marina arranges for a short 15 min boat ride to a place where you can do snorkeling - this is a public area. Poor visibility when we were there and not many corals or fish. However, good spot to swim.

Shang palace Chinese restaurant was excellent - especially the soups. Cafe Tatu was average - we ordered Nasi Goreng and Sup Ekor - costs around MYR60 to 65 a dish.

On the whole, great trip for us.

2  Thank arj888
ShangriLa_TAH, Director of Communications at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear arj888,

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and for choosing to celebrate your wife' birthday with us.

This is an amazing way to start the week. I can't wait to show this to my colleagues, this will put a big smile on everyone's face. Linda, Carl and Leonol will be delighted!

We appreciate the feedback you have given here, we are now working on improving our facilities.

We'd love to welcome the both of you back again soon. Until then, safe travels always.

Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, Kota Kinabalu

Write a ReviewReviews (3,885)

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

After a bit of a rocky start we ended up having a wonderful 10 days at this hotel, which felt like a home away from home after day 3. The mark of a good hotel is how it deals with things that go wrong. A wonderful duty manager called Kevin organised to meet us in person to discuss the rocky start and from that moment on we settled in to a wonderful holiday. Pool area is a dream for kids. Food is excellent in particular the Shang Palace. The suite we had was beautiful, spacious, with amazing sea and sunset views and kept absolutely spotless every day. But what stays with you about this hotel is how the staff made us feel. To call out a few of the special people who made us feel like really valued guests were, Joseph, Mieda, Andrew, Kelly, Christoclay, Azure, Waite and the lovely singers who allowed my daughter Abby to sing with them! We even had some of the staff singing us off on our departure. What a special touch that we'll remember for a long time. We will definitely come back. Loved it here.

2  Thank Rachel K
ShangriLa_TAH, other at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Rachel K,

Thank you so much for this lovely review of the resort.

We feel both honoured and humbled all at once. You have even taken the time to list down the names of our colleagues who have exceeded your expectations. They will be absolutely delighted to read this.

We'd love to welcome you all back to Kota Kinabalu one day very soon. Until we meet again, safe travels always.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Spent a long week in this large resort hotel in a beautiful setting. Friendly and helpful but grossly disorganised staff and very little actually works. Breakfast and evening meal in the main restaurant are chaotic with large choice but many items running out every time. Food standard no more than fair. The Italian restaurant is superb but very expensive and if you are on half board, then you are not told when checking in that there will be no allowance for this restaurant. Chinese restaurant is OK and similar comments apply but Coco Joes is very poor and very disorganised particularly at lunch time. Large swimming pool and adult area is enforced, but loungers are very uncomfortable. Our hotel room needed updating. It is a great pity but in the final analysis the experience was poor and our recommendation is to avoid

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank APCLondon
ShangriLa_TAH, Director of Communications at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2018

Dear APCLondon,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review of the resort.

I am very sorry to hear that our services and facilities have fallen short of your expectations.

Your feedback here is most invaluable to us because it highlights the areas that we can improve. We will work on improving ourselves immediately.

We appreciate your continued support and friendship.

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Such a beautiful place. Not everything went to plan eg room not ready when we got there at 2pm told to wait an hour and a half. Given complimentary drinks though. All really tired after long flight Australia to Kuala Lumpur and then KL To Kota Kinabalu. Then room not ready still - after a bit of assertiveness we were allocated 1 of our 2 bedrooms (adjoining ). AS they were ground floor we asked if we could move to a higher level if possible for a better view . Answer was yes but would have to wait a further 2 hours.. but could keep the one room so we agreed. Well worth It lovely view and were given complimentary wine bottles that evening too .

Other small hitch was a workman started drilling near by at 5:30am the next morning .. after a phone call to service desk this stopped but it was an early morning wake up we didn’t need and it never happened again.
Complimentary fruit in the room that night too

The Kinabalu wing was perfect for us with two teenagers as it’s not far to walk to all the pools and away from little kids , but honestly I think either area would be fine . Sea view definitely worth the extra $.

Bit over the buffet breakfast after 8 days but a good range of food and staff who although very busy when asked for a specific request followed through promptly with a smile and with no issues at all.

Teenagers enjoyed the pool, soccer pool (a great hit hadn’t seen that before) and took part in a resort initiated water volleyball game.

Trip to nearby Sapi Island for snorkelling bit of a waste for snorkeling as low tide and not high visibility but to the staffs credit at the marina had been warned about this. Advice is to ask the tide levels for all the dates you are going to be there so you can plan to go out when the tide is the highest (we missed the higher tide dates earlier in the week)

Overall a lovely relaxing holiday with the children and highly recommended couldn’t fault the intention to provide excellent customer service and follow up.

1  Thank Jssww
ShangriLa_TAH, Director Of Communications at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Jssww,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review of the resort.

We are delighted to hear that you and your family had enjoyed the holiday so much. Thank you for giving us a chance to rectify the shortcomings by letting us know about them right away.

It was our pleasure serving you. We'd love to welcome you all back again soon. But until we meet again, safe travels always!

Reviewed 9 January 2018

I was going to sign up for the membership as I have used it before. However the disappointing experience deterred me from doing so. Not sure if I would be using Shangri-la anytime soon. May be it is the inability of the hotel to handle holiday volume, but the over-all quality of the service was far cry from the 5-star which I had hoped for. If not for the rush of reaching airport, I would have spoken to the manager of my ordeal which I will mention below, but I am not sure if I would have gotten anything other than a mere sorry. Most luxury hotels like Inter-con/Hyatt would probably give something complimentary or some sort of discount, but I guess Shangri-la corporate hospitality is different.
DAY1- Due to unavailability of staff owing to volume of guest, me and my family of 3 were carrying our own luggage to room; Luckily certain Mr James(Shangri-La, staff) found that absurd and helped us to carry our luggage, so thank you Mr James. Toilet had cobwebs. The fridge had nothing in it(no drinks, no snacks, no beer, absolutely nothing zilch). Ordered room service at 10:30 pm, food arrived at 12:15 mid-night despite 2 reminders, after I was about to call to cancel the food.
DAY2 – Went for breakfast; breakfast options were great, service was not. Could see several staff loitering around aimlessly but would not serve coffee if asked. I would go to the machine and serve myself else I would not get the coffee. Went outside for sight-seeing. Came back around 8 pm, shocked to see “Room was not cleaned”. Lame excuse given that may be we put “ don’t disturb sign”. No pamphlet provided which says “make your room”, so only way is to ask housekeeping to clean the room; obviously instruction was not followed. Room is eventually cleaned, balcony is not.
DAY3 – we find a small lizard on the bed, we let it go as we went out for sightseeing. We come back, room is cleaned; but shoddy cleaning at best.
DAY4- Service at a hotel bar(near the ocean) is extremely slow. Have to remind the waiter 3 times to get a drink. We go to the common area to have couple of drinks and watch pretty ladies signing. Order chicken rice. The rice comes half cocked. Luckily the waiter acknowledges that rice was spoiled and does not charge us for food. So thank you.
My next destination would have been Shangri-la Boracay but after this experience, I am not really inclined. When you premium, you do expect premium service.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Vikas1804
ShangriLa_TAH, Director of Communications at Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Dear Vikas1804,

I read this review with much concern.

I am very sorry to hear that we had failed to meet your expectations.

We strive to pamper every guest with the Shangri-La hospitality so it is disappointing for all of us when we hear that one of our guest had left the resort any less than completely delighted.

We note your helpful feedback and thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Please do let us know the dates if you are going to Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa. We would like to help ensure your stay there meets the high level of quality service the Shangri-La is known for.

Thank you for your continued support and friendship.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kota Kinabalu
4.3 km away
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu
#2 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu
2.3 km away
Sutera Harbour Resort (The Pacific Sutera & The Magellan Sutera)
5 km away
4.2 km away
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
Hilton Kota Kinabalu
#4 of 92 in Kota Kinabalu

Been to Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!