I heard much about the Shangri La's Tanjung Aru Resort from various write-ups, so how was it? Answer in short - superb and beyond.
After all it is Shangri La we're talking about! There's so much to write about but i'm afraid I can't squeeze it all in!
It truly is an excellent resort situated on the South China Sea; about 30 mins drive from Kota Kinabalu Airport and about 15 mins from Kota Kinabalu City centre.
We were surprisingly greeted by name at the entrance on arrival - hows that for a welcome!! We were promptly escorted to our deluxe room on the Tanjung Wing with access to the Horizon Club. Both cannot be faulted. The rooms were spacious, very clean, bathrooms spotless and Horizon Club truly an enjoyment.
You will realise every review praises staff - I am no different. Nothing was too much.
Although its tempting to park yourself at the hotel with its countless luxuries BUT DON'T. Know there are some noteworthy excursions.
Snorkelling, diving, or just lazing on the golden fluffy beaches can be done on any of the nearby Islands with the convenient 'Beach Bums' jetty right on your doorstep. All equipment can be hired from them.
Douse yourself in mosquito repellent and take a day tour of Mount Kinabalu, Poring hot springs, an Indiana Jones-style canopy walk and a trail of the tropical rainforest. Be warned its expensive (400RM/person), tiring but worthwhile. It takes about 3 hours to KK National Park AND pay again to enter (20RM). Warning: don't bathe at poring hot springs if you're asthmatic or suffer from atopic eczema!
The other tours offered were not all that pucker!
Be warned of the heavy rainfall and thunder. All you budding camerafolk - don't miss out on the lightning; sometimes double simultaneous bolts! Something I've never seen - not even on TV!
Finally to end on a tasty note - food at the Tatu Restaurant is just fabulous. Its buffet offers over 200 different dishes, sauces, and deserts to suit every diet and taste - yes they do fish'n'chips too! It does get busy so do reserve beforehand.
See my photo's. I'd definitely go back and as alway I'm happy to answer any questions.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A paradise for the senses surrounded by natural beautyA gentle breeze caresses your face as you wake to the sound of waves lapping the beach. The balcony opens up to an inspiring vista of sparkling coral islands and swaying of palm trees. Tunku Abdul Rahman Park, bordered by crystal clear waters and lush vegetation Sophistication surrounds you in a lavishly decorated suite inspired by Borneo’s rich cultural heritage. Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu, is a perfect tropical getaway, a luxurious tranquil retreat just a short drive from the city.Yet, excitement beckons as you set out to discover all Kota Kinabalu’s delights. Making your way to Kinabalu National Park, you are thrust into a jungle paradise of natural wonders, rugged landscapes and scenic beauty. From the Rafflesia, the largest flower in the world, to the famous Orangutans in their natural habitat, it only gets more breathtaking every step of the way.The afternoon is spent exploring the picturesque town of Kota Belud. As Sabah’s largest and most popular open market, you find gems of all sorts, ranging from handmade handicrafts to mouth-watering local delights like natural honey.Back at the resort, you look forward to a sunset cruise, which departs from STAR Marina, to catch Borneo's famous sunset. Not long after, you wind down at Coco-Joe’s Bar & Grill. Lounging atop one of the beach-dining platforms, over cocktails and a delectable seafood tower, you continue to enjoy the sound of overlapping waves on the shores of Sunset Beach. A pampering session at CHI, The Spa rounds off the day. With treatments based on traditional Asian healing philosophies, you lose yourself in an enchanted and indulgent journey, all on the resort’s private spa island.For every experience here, you are surrounded by natural beauty. And it all begins at Shangri-La’s Tanjung Aru Resort and Spa, Kota Kinabalu ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Resort And Spa
- Shangri-La`s Tanjung Aru Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Resort
- Shangri Las Tanjung Aru Hotel
- Shangri La Kota Kinabalu
- Shangri-La's Tanjung Aru Resort & Spa Kota Kinabalu, Sabah