First trip to Kota Kinabalu so finding accomodation was tricky but am glad we ended up at the Le Meridien.
We stayed in a sea facing Club Room which by itself is spectacular - wonderful size, well equipped, very comfortable bed and decent bathroom. The best thing about the room was the view. Simply amazing - albeit do keep in mind, this is in KK central rather than the sandy beaches of the Maldives etc.
Location: No complains if you are looking for a central hotel. Its around 15 mins by cab from the airport right on the main strip across from the food stalls at night. Its actually amazing to see the liveliness of the stalls that runs into the late hour (you wont hear them) but by the time you wake up, the stalls are all cleared and cleaned. The location also guarantees that you will never be hungry as its justa pop across the road for some delicious local malay delicacies.
Furthermore, you are walking distance everywhere in KK (itself being a small town). Next door, you will find a relatively new building that houses lots of spas and massage parlours. You have your pick of finding someone to pamper you easily.
More importantly, you are about 5-10 mins walk to Sedco Sq where there are 5 great affordable seafood restaurants in a square.
Hotel facilities and dining:Being a member of Starwood International, you should have high expectations and to a large extent, Le Meridien KK delivers. Check in was a breeze with very friendly staff. The hotel houses a lounge that has an excellent band and serves great selection of drinks and amazing coffee. There is a small gym and pool (probably the most disappointing part considering it is not beachfronting). Breakfast while a decent selection, was to me, just OK. I had sampled other Le Meridien dining before and I was expecting slightly too much perhaps. As indicated, selection was ample with a mix of local (ie noodles, rice, dim sum etc) and continental (hot and cold selection) but overall quality of cooking to me was average.
You could tell the hotel is busy (especially around this time of year) and the dining room staff looked flustered as they tried to clear tables and seat new guests. I would add that front of house management could be more organised. We had to wait for a while before being seated in our second day.
On average, Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu is a great base for exploring KK and its surroundings.
Would stay again if I return to KK.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Le Méridien Kota Kinabalu is a contemporary 5 star hotel, strategically located at the heart and city center of downtown Kota Kinabalu across the fresh and handicraft markets and Kota Kinabalu waterfront. Overlooking the sea, Le Méridien Kota Kinabalu features newly renovated rooms, leisure outdoor pool and sundeck with sunset pool side bar. Convenient within easy walking distance of other local attractions like Gaya Street in less than 10 minutes walk, retail and entertainment facilities in less than 20 minutes walk like Centrepoint, Suria and Imago Shopping Malls. Enjoy access to local art gallery, golf courses and other island excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu
- Meridien Kota Kinabalu
- Kota Kinabalu Le Meridien
- Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu Sabah