US$57
Abell Hotel(Kuching)(Great Value!)
US$30
US$22
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$26/night.

US$47
Cove 55(Kuching)
US$141
US$118
Agoda.com
All reviewstree housemangrove tourhigh ropessilver leaf monkeysfly screensrope bridgesarawak cultural villagethe south china seaflying lemurno alcoholpermai rainforestsaw dolphinsbako national parkdolphin watchingclose to naturenature loversair conditioning
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

The scenery around this place is absolutely beautiful and yes I realise that it’s a rain forest retreat, but that’s not an excuse for dirty stained and threadbare bedding or horrible dirty showers and toilets.

The cabins are a absolute disgrace and I really don’t think you should be charging people to stay in them. The food you serve is also pretty nasty and the service I experienced well below par.

I would highly recommended the hotel next door, not that I stayed there, but I did look at it wistful and assume that it had been cleaned in the last year at least.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank winkamon
Reviewed 21 April 2018

I think it is only fair to start with a few positives about my stay, however they are largely nothing to do with the resort.
Firstly the setting is incredibly beautiful, with a couple of beautiful beaches and nature all around, we saw monkeys, snakes, birds it was amazing.
Secondly the boat trips were good, I especially rated the evening mangrove trip, the three in one trip was mostly good although going to turtle island when there is no chance of seeing turtles and being charged extra for the privilege seems odd.
Finally the treehouses are pretty good, fairly clean and comfy, however as I spent only 2 days of my stay in the treehouse the rest was in a cabin and I will get to that.

So on arrival at Borneo airport we had not had a reply from the resort to confirm our request to be collected by them, but we waited a while just in case, but no one came so we hopped in a taxi, when we arrived they told us someone had been sent to pick us up, later in the week we found out they hadn’t deducted this from our bill and resulted in a long and annoying conversation, it was eventually sorted out, but this set the standard for the organisational skills.

Next we were shown to the cabin, or should I say hell hole/shabin as we became used to calling it. It was dirty, there was a covered ash tray with old cigarette butts in it, dirt/stains and who knows what on the bedding, the shower made us feel dirty being in it and had a old used soap left in it covered in pubic hair, it was like some deserted scout hut out of a horror film. I honestly can not stress to you how bad this place was, I obviously realise that this place wouldn't be 5 star, but to not even manage zero stars is pushing it to limits beyond my comprehension, I mean just give the place a clean, is that to much to ask for?

Moving on to the food and packed lunches on the trips. I had emailed ahead to state that I am veggie, I then told them again when I arrived and each time I booked a trip with lunch, also stating that I ate no meat, chicken or fish, just to be completely clear, however each time I was given chicken or fish, when I finally complained they said not their fault it’s all the kitchens fault, well you are a team, take responsibility and do something about it.

The vegetarian evening meal was provided and was basic, edible, but not nice. Basically vegetables with no flavor and rice, it was mostly fresh tomatoes floating around in water without seasoning, even tinned tomatoes would have been more pleasant.

To summarize, I absolutely hated everything about relating to service in this place, the staff are rude, unhelpful and lazy. I have never been asked to rewrite my Trip Advisor review 3 times before, which makes me think they aren't keen on bad reviews either, well the best way to avoid them is by upping your game, provide good service and please do some cleaning.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank timbleton
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Great nature and plenty of animal sighting just inside the resort compound. Nice place for kids.
Extremely service minded staff at the restaurant- The Feeding Tree- Robertson is the best waiter we have met in Borneo.
The tree houses are great. The cabins somewhat worn down but spacy.
The administration of bookings and reservations is NOT working satisfactory.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

The resort is set in the rainforest, by the beach and has enormous potential.
But unfortunately it's managed so poorly. I could easily have given it a 5, but they need to clean the cabins and give more choice at meals.
We arrived with friends and were allocated cabins far apart, which was not ideal, but as we were informed they were fully booked, we accepted this. We were shown to a cabin at the far end of the resort. It was so run down and filthy that we just couldn't stay. My husband again went to speak to reception and now found out that there were plenty of cabins available and we could stay next to our friends. Our new cabin was better but still very basic (which I don't really mind) and somewhat less run down but still so dirty. The curtains have not been cleaned this decade. Old soap and mold in the shower soap holder, sand on the floor, a thick layer of dust on all furniture except the flat tables. No hot water in the shower and one of the lights didn't work either. It seems like the management has lost all ambition here.
The setting is absolutely beautiful. We spent great days in the forest, on the beach, the kids loved the high ropes, the excellent Sarawak Cultural Village is a five minute walk away, so we actually had a great time and loved our stay. But oh my, they can really improve.
The buffet in the restaurant was basic, it worked well and service was kind, nothing special but okay.
If you don't mind some dirt this is actually a wonderful place. A shame that they don't maintain it better but if you can see past that, you'll have a great time.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Permai is in a protected nature reserve, good for a quiet break. We stayed in a treehouse and the rate included breakfast and dinner, and they have plenty of activities including mangrove tour and snorkelling. We took a dolphin and firefly watching trip in the evening which I would highly recommend. We saw proboscis monkeys, a baby crocodile and fireflies.
The staff & service at the restaurant were good, but the food is too western with not much choice. The resort accept credit cards.

Room Tip: Treehouse No. 2 ha the best view over the South China Sea.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple