“Great sea view, Poor room maintenance”

Damai Puri Resort & Spa
Ranked #47 of 55 Hotels in Kuching
Reviewed 9 February 2012

It's a quick getaway destination from Kuching city, only 45 minutes drive. The kids loved playing in the sand which I'm glad to report were free of sand flies during the time of our visit (Jan 2012). The view of the sea from the main swimming pool was beautiful. Though some of the other reviews mentioned that the rooms were recently refurbished, I personally found them quite run down. My family stayed in 2 rooms and both were equally worn out. We had a good time at the beach but the rooms left much to be desired.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors facing the main pool. It's less noisy the higher up you go and you'...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank meals1980

Reviewed 8 February 2012

If you want to get away from the city and shopping, then this is a place for you as it is away from Kuching city. We stayed in this resort for 3 nights in Feb 2012. The deluxe room is clean. The resort is lovely with a stunning sea view. There are 2 wings in the resort- SPA Wing and Ocean Wing.
We stayed in the SPA Wing which is facing the main pool and good sea view if you are staying higher level and it is much calm than Ocean Wing which is facing children pool and might not suitable for some people who want to escape from children screaming in the morning.
The breakfast is basic local & western delight and we advice you to come early as they are very bad to top up the foods. The staff need to improve in their service. Service in restaurant is slow and it will be nice to see the staff smile & chat to the customers and happy with their job. The massage is very expensive.
We advice you to bring or buy your own liquors as the price in the bar is expensive. The small shop in the resort is a joke as they are selling too expensive things. A bottle of mineral water cost Rm 8. Much better if you can get your personal stuff before coming to this resort.
If you are fed-up with the restaurant foods in the resort, there is a seafood restaurant at Damai Centre which is 5 mins walk from the resort. You can visit the culture centre or rainforest which is also 5 mins walk from the resort.
Overall, we love this resort because of the sea view. If only they can improve in their service and the standard of the food and bar, the resort will be a very good place to stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the SPA Wing
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tracomsg
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed there in April 2011. I had to check-in late in the afternoon after I realised my room at the Permai Rainforest was inhabitable. The staff, although they drove me to Permai hotel (some 800 meters away) to pick-up my luggage, was somehow not friendly, and made me feel quite uncomfortable. I am a female journalist and am used to travelling alone even in remote places. This hotel could be a lovely hotel, and it is certainly a great alternative compared to Permai Rainforest. It is unfortunately run down, and I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank SEVERINE M
Reviewed 22 January 2012

In January 2011 our family stayed at Damai Puri. We had a sea facing connecting room for two adults and three children (aged 11, 10 and 6). the entrance to this resort is one of the most amazing I have seen.

I was a little worried that it might not be all that fantastic after reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor but have to say we were all very very happy with every aspect of the stay. staff were always friendly and helpful. The resort was lovely, although quiet, due to the wet season I was told. We loved it being quiet as we had the magnificent kids pool to ourselves. Our kids spent hours on the water slides and in the pool.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic, with fresh food and a great variety of different cuisines.

We did feel rather like movie stars staying in a secluded resort, rather than a family on holidays.

Yes, parts of the hotel do look a little tired but we felt this was minor - the odd pool tile missing in the kids pool and the viewing deck closed - and certainly did not take away from our experience.

If you want a quiet, relaxing, friendly resort during the wet months, this is the place to go.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor in a connecting room. This worked really well for our family as it was...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Marianne W
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Before we decide for our vacation, I saw a bad review for this resort and I wonder is it for real? I shouldnt choose to stay in this resort but makes me curious.

Once we reach there, Bell boy helped us to carry our luggage and played with my kids while we're waiting for the room. I saw receptionist looks tired but still giving us a smile. I didnt expect sweet smile as long as they never neglect us as a guest. As a human being its normal sometimes we forgot to smile (especially in stress mood).

Afternoon around 3pm me and my husband accompany my kids at the beach and my 3 years daughter points on something in the sea and walked closer. Surprisingly its Sea Otter swimming around the sea side catch small fish.

I guess those cute creatures visits for the first time since everyone seems distracted and excited.
Thank God for the awesome day.

staying there for 3 days one night was owesome. Ignore all the bad review and be pessimistic. Give more expect less.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family