Damai Puri Resort & Spa
US$54
US$53
US$48
Basaga Holiday Residences(Kuching)(Great Value!)
US$20
US$32
US$46
US$42
Agoda.com
All reviewsspa villagemount santubongthe south china seafood courtforest
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

The management did not provide telephone in the room, ZERO mobile line, NO wifi in the room, rundown resort, lousy maintenance, NO activity provided... not even bicycle, foods? I don’t dare to try....Basically you are disconnected from people....We booked for 4 days 3 nights and felt so disappointed. We cannot accept the hotel condition and decided to stay in town on the third night. The room condition; fully equipped with old furnitures, gloomy toilet. I stayed at room 1220 perfect view but very bad hotel conditions. There’a area at the lower ground floor looks abandoned. Full of dried leaves... nobody clean or maintain the place. They charged RM50 if you want to park near the lobby. During my stay the occupancy only 10% and so many ample parking, rainy days... they dont even care about guess who parked far away from the lobby. Not even to provide umbrella... so ridiculous. I went to stay at hilton Kuching on the third night, they only charged us RM20 per day to park near the lobby. The most funny part, Damai Puri called me on the fourth day asking what time i want to check out??? Hahaha i told them, ive check out yesterday because your resort are so lousy.... staff are untrained. They cant speak English well. They dont even know what is buggy...? Say NO NO NO to Damai Puri Resort & Spa.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2018

We stayed here for 2 nights because of the closeness to our daytime adventures. I don't believe 'resort' should be in the title.

The wifi was only available in the lobby which was slow and shoddy at best. The customer service was helpful. The restaurant was out of 75% of the food offered. My suggestion to the hotel, would be to remove the menus (do not give them to guests).
Instead, print out entrees that are available and provide that list to the guests. It would be more efficient and the guests wouldn't be aware of the lack of choices (and the staff wouldn't have to encounter the awkward conversation of how many choices are NOT available). The standard of cleanliness of the rooms is questionable. There were stains on the walls (mold) and on the bed sheets. There was no hot water in one of our showers (we got 2 rooms) and one of our rooms had a major ant issue.

The beach view is beautiful and it's easy to call a taxi (if one doesn't have a car and or motorbike). It's right up against the Santubang National Park, which is fantastic for the jungle adventurer.

This 'resort' is desperately needing upgrades. I can imagine it was absolutely stunning when it first opened.

Unfortunately I do not recommend this place, unless drastic improvements are made.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2018

Having read some of the reviews for this hotel, I was expecting the worst as I checked in at the counter. However, to my surprise, it was not as bad it seemed from the reviews. All you have to do is make the necessary requests and arrangements with the hotel management beforehand.

For instance, I needed our rooms to be on the same level with the lobby (I knew that the lifts don't work as mentioned in one of the reviews) as some of the occupants were disabled and the hotel staff were more than happy to provide that for us.

As mentioned in the other reviews, the whole hotel has definitely seen better days and the swimming pool for the children were filled with all kinds of debris including dead insects, not that the kids mind as they were too busy having fun playing in the water.

You should also bring your own breakfast but as for lunch and dinner there are a couple of decent seafood restaurants just nearby.

In conclusion, the hotel is suitable for local folks like me who are looking to get away from the city for a night or two.

Room Tip: Request for your room to be the same level as the hotel lobby to avoid going up and down the stairs as there are no lifts.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mitchell S
Reviewed 19 December 2017

We had a short staycation with the kids about 2-months back. The resort has definitely seen better days.
1st, I remember that there was an elevator to cater for those whose rooms are in the higher floor. No more elevator now. We had a room on the 3rd floor, not so bad but when you have toddlers, it can get challenging if you don't have help carrying your things. Note though, that this is only on 1 wing. I did not go to the other wing (where the children's pool was) so am not sure if the elevator on that side still exist.
2nd, one of the reason why we decided to opt for this resort was because they had a rather large children's pool. The pool is still there, just needs better cleaning. Actually, both the adult and the children's pool needs better cleaning.
3rd, we were already informed during check-in that no phone system was available in the rooms as they are doing upgrades. It's not much of an issue really for locals like us who has a local number. But I'd imagine it's not going to be fun for those without a local number. It's quite a distance from the rooms to the reception counter.
4th, the hotel needs to check their power points. There are (I think) 3 power points in the room where I was at. And only 1 worked properly.
Lastly, breakfast. Note that room bookings doesn't come with breakfast. So if you want to have breakfast there you'd need to pay (about 36 ringgit per adult if I remember correctly). I really don't mind paying for food, but at that amount, please make sure that your breakfast is done well, and make sure that food is refilled. Breakfast time was till 10:30 but by 10 most of the food was already gone and was not being refilled.
It's quite sad really, what used to be a nice, classy resort has gone down to such standard. I've seen resorts that was undergoing some upgrading/maintenance but still kept the level of service. This resort is in a perfect location, but something needs to be done. And quickly.

Room Tip: If you have kids and/or a lot of luggages, ask for rooms on floors that are on the same level as the reception
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

We visited from end of November into December for a 4 night stay. We booked a Deluxe Double with Seaview with an extra bed. It was definitely not what I would class as "Deluxe". The actual setting of the hotel is lovely. Situated on the tip of Santubong, right on the beach over looking the South China Sea, with clean air and sandy beach. The pool is lovely and facilities are adequate ( there are several oversized family games like chess and snakes and ladders and you can hire table tennis equipment). When we went, most of the bars and restaurants on site were closed (just the one restaurant and one bar were open but this limitation was not advertised prior to booking). The room was dark, damp and the wall paper was peeling off in places. The head board of the double bed smelt of old smoke and was dirty. The curtains to the balcony were filthy and the balcony doors did not open properly until a technician came after I complained. The bed sheets had yellow stains on them and the bathroom shower head could have done with descaling. I was very disappointed with the room. Also, breakfast was not included and cost an extra RM40 per person, adding an extra RM400 to the bill. Had I known I would have taken a couple of bowls and cereal with me. Dinner at the onsite restaurant was fair and cheaper than breakfast but on two occasions it took at least an hour for all three meals to have arrived. The staff were lovely and really apologetic. After a short walk, there is the option of Damai Central, a small tourist complex, with two restaurants, a food hall, several tourist type shops, a convenience store and a beautiful view. I will not be spending my money to stay here again as the pictures do not tell an accurate story and must have been taken some time ago when it was better looked after.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family