All reviews lang tengah mid range hotel summer bay resort secret recipe budget hotel car park standard room chinatown internet uncle eateries terengganu
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

My wife and me stayed at this place because it didn’t seem too expensive but ok from the ratings.

Now that we stayed here we can’t understand how some people rate it so high.

We payed 120 Myr for one superior(!) room. Breakfast should be included as the booking referenced.

The room:

it is small, sticky and very dirty. The room only has one small window (see the picture) and one side of the window is nailed with a wooden plank. Totally strange. The A/C is from another decade far away and doesn’t work properly. It just pours out smelly, sticky air. Everything looks so used up and the mattresses are hard like stone. I also found hairs from a former guest in mine. Really disgusting. If you look at the bathroom it is disgusting too. The floor has just been painted over with some waterproof paint to seal it. But it looks like a 5 year old has done that. There is fungus in every corner and it also smells strange. In our room (superior room!) there was a WiFi password sticker on the table but no WiFi available in that area.

The staff:

The stuff is just there to do basic things. Give you the keycard and that’s it. No warm welcome, no information on anything. When we went to breakfast they didn’t have our room on their list. Quiet strange. That’s why we decided to leave this place quick.

Our recommendation: if you like paying money (even a small amount of) for a dirty, smelly, used up and disgusting room and don’t want any assistance from the staff then the Hotel Ming Star is your choice.

We will never stay there again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Mingstar-hotel, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Ming Star, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2017

Dear Sir,
First of all, we would like to apologize to you regarding issue that you are facing. Based on your comments we are accepted and will take necessary actions after we investigate it further. Regarding the breakfast, as per we checked, your booking is under Online Travel Agent (Expedia) so there is no breakfast provided, but you still can bought the breakfast at RM12 per pax. Regarding the room is small, we admitted that the Superior room only different 2 sqm size from the Standard Room, so next time, we advised you to request to take a look the room before you check in and if you feel that the room not suitable, you can upgrade to others room (with charge) if not same room type. We also would like to advise, if you are facing many issue in the room, you have a right to complain directly to the receptionist on the same day and we will take action immediately. We admitted sometimes there is an issue, but it's rarely. By the way, we hope you can give us a chance to serve you better next time. Once again we apologize and thank you for your support.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

At the recommendation of one of the contributors here on TripAdvisor, I chose this hotel on my visit to the one of the most conservative states of Malaysia in the northeast.

As a political observer, I was also interested in exploring the ethnic conflict that has lately led to some trouble in the southern four provinces of Thailand which are Malay speaking and are predominantly Muslims. As the post-colonial borders have not always followed the facts on the ground, the peoples have been divided between two separate countries when their kin have ended up in another. There are many examples in the world where the colonial authorities mainly England and France have thus sown the seeds of discord and conflicts that continue in our modern times.

Before I went there, I made sure that the security situation was stable and I also intended to take the Jungle Railway that originates in this area traversing the Malaysian highlands through the thick tropical forests all the way south to Singapore.

Unfortunately, the trains only ran at night and therefore, since I would have missed the scenery I decided to abandon the idea. Unfortunately, the info that is available on the internet turned out to be wrong. While I tried to be at the northern terminus, going to Terengganu turned out to become a disappointment.

Since I had already traveled by bus on the East Coast expressway from Kuala Lumpur for almost eight hours, I had no choice to spend the night at Terengganu, only to head back and go to Singapore the next day.

The hotel is hardly clean and given the amenities, it was overpriced. It also needs a newer touch because it is too old with peeling paint and generally unpleasant atmosphere. The bathrooms need some heavy duty cleansing to get the shine of the amenities back or should be outright replaced.

Too many repairs have been done and now is the time to install newer toiletries. The atmosphere was spartan and just basic. It looked like the housekeeping had forgotten to clean the bathroom. I found old soap wrappers in the soap dish and the garbage under the sink had not been emptied.

I found hair on the bathroom floor and the fittings were disgustingly unclean. With no individualized containers, large shampoo and conditioner bottles graced the ledge in the shower stall which the guests were expected to share with others who came before them. The bottles were all guncked up and I felt like I was taking a shower in a communal bathroom, rather than in my own, albeit in a hotel room for which I paid a rather generous amount that it did not deserve.

For a while, I thought the sheets may not have been changed but after making sure that they were, I decided not to complain.

As compared to what I got for my money in Kuala Lumpur, this place was far too expensive for the amenities provided. The price that the hotel deserved should have been the third of what I paid.

After checking in I went to an outdoor restaurant across the street to have some delicious Malay food. Having dinner at a place where the locals ate, was the only highlight of my stay in town.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Spend one night (hello kitty room) with my family of 3kids, room quite spacious.
Plenty of Shops ( 7eleven, food stall) within walking distance.
Beaches within 15 minutes drive.
Book with agoda for rm140.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2017

Actually we didn’t intend to book this hotel for our stay in Kuala Terengganu. Our destination is Summer Bay Resort, Lang Tengah Island. But our arrival at Kuala Terengganu is noon. There is no boat going to the resort. So when we enquired about transportation, the resort staff recommended to us this hotel with boat and airport transfer. In order to solve all the transport problems, we accepted their proposal. But it turned out to be a pleasant stay in Kuala Terengganu even though it’s just a boutique hotel.
The room is big and spacious. Most important of all, it is clean. There is a lift at the hotel. Wifi is free.
Breakfast is simple with fixed menu. There are quite a number of eateries within walking distance. You may like to try Uncle Chua’s Café on the right side of the hotel. The dessert there is not bad.
Across the road in front of Hotel Tanjong Vista, there is a bus-stop where you can take the tourism bus for the city tour and to the Crystal Mosque for a fee of RM 1 to RM 3.
There is nothing much you can complain about this hotel except that it’s quite a distance to Chinatown in Kuala Terengganu if you prefer to walk.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HPLIM
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I spent a night here, before heading to Lang Tengah for the next morning. The hotel was strategically located with plenty of restaurants,cafe and eateries in the vicinity. There are ample of parking space behind the hotel which was very convenient as I drove to Kuala Terengganu. My room was very spacious, clean and well maintained. It was also equipped with an internet ready PC. Seems like they have taken an extra precautions with the windows as it was insulated with extra layer of board to keep the traffic noise at minimal. Bathroom was very clean with adequate hot-cold water supply. Overall pretty satisfied with the room and service provided.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends