“Fantastic holiday - great location / resort / staff”
Review of LUX* Belle Mare

LUX* Belle Mare
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Belle Mare
Reviewed 21 October 2017

My wife and I recently returned from a memorable stay at Lux Belle Mare, our first visit to Mauritius.

The resort is located just over an hour away from the airport, so not too far. Equally if you take the costal route the views are incredible. By all accounts the East coast is a bit breezier than the West, however during our stay it was very much a pleasant breeze (i.e. cooling, not windy).

We were greeted warmly upon arrival by the front of house / guest services staff, who remained cheerful and helpful throughout our stay. Particular names that stand out here were: Neha, Jessica, Kevin, Geetanjali, Shiela (not in any particular order).

The rooms were modern, spacious, well-proportioned and clean. The in-room iPad offered a convienent way to book restaurants, order room service (good selection and decent quality) and also see what is going on around the resort. Our room was cleaned by Babita on a daily basis who was very thorough and extremely pleasant whenever we saw her.

The food at the buffet at breakfast and dinner is about as good as you’ll get at a buffet restaurant and caters to all sorts of tastes given the wide variety of options. If you prefer to order from a menu and be served then K-Bar offers a decent alternative for breakfast and lunch. Other alternatives for lunch are either the beach bar (lookout for Dave, a real character) which serves fast food options or Beach Rouge for ‘proper food’. The former is great if you want something quick and informal (e.g. without having to put on a t-shirt) whilst the latter offers a more formal setting but with a more extensive and refined menu...with a fantastic view overlooking the beautiful beach. Beach Rouge is also open in the evening for dinner with a modern and varied menu in a trendy setting. An alternative for dinner is Duck Laundry which is very nice, but does get busy so you need to book early - the only disappointment here was the crispy pancakes were a premium to the AI package, not much...but when an inclusive option includes duck break with hoisin sauce it seems strange.

During the day around the staff around the pool / beach were attentive but not over the top. The staff are keen to please and were very pleasant to talk to, when they weren’t busy looking after guests. Names that stand out here were: Satish, Vishnoo, Vinesh and Nikesh (no particular order). The ice cream bar was also a nice touch and very welcome on the hot days, look out the for salted caramel and peanut butter - amazing! The coffee shop (including cakes) is also a nice touch and the coffee really is very good.

We didn’t get involved with much of the activities, but there was plenty going on. I did however participate in the daily afternoon beach sports (volleyball / football) with Medge, Christophe and Braundon. All of which were great fun and really seemed to genuinely enjoy what they were doing.

The beach is fantastic with soft white sand and shallow waters for you to wade in, my wife even found a starfish just a few yards from the shoreline. It is a public beach so you do get some locals selling goods / boat trips, but they are not pushy and do leave you alone once you’ve said you’re not interested.

All in all a great holiday and fantastic resort, made even better by the wonderful staff. We will definitely return!

3  Thank BigDelGooner
Ashish M, General Manager at LUX* Belle Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear BigDelGooner,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare!

Thank you for your review for us on Trip Advisor. We are glad that you liked several features and facilities of the resort. Indeed, the resort is blessed with its location - the wide stretch of beach is one of the best on the island; the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the gardens well maintained and the offerings of the resort are well thought of... We thank you for listing all of these in your review.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to LUX* Belle Mare in a not so distant future!

Warm island regards,

Reviewed 20 October 2017

I recently stayed at the Lux in October 2017 and I just don't know where to start. Upon my arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink and given a tour of the hotel which is such a beautiful place. The room was spotless and always cleaned, we had complimentary shampoo, conditioner and moisturiser which was great, it also came equipped with a hair dryer, robes, slippers, walk in wardrobe, two separate sinks, mini bar which was topped up every day, tea, coffee, water bottles etc.

The hotel itself is stunning. It is on the beach which you can see wherever you are in the hotel, the beach has white sand and blue seas which are really calm and great to swim in, the sunbeds are really comfy and we always found a sunbed with no issues. The swimming pool was huge! the biggest in Mauritius and a great temperature. The restaurants were all lovely and served such a variety of good quality food. Beach Rouge was my favorite place to eat and I highly recommend eating there at lunch time as the menu is completely different and has a lot more choice on it. Duck Laundry was a lovely Chinese restaurant where the food portions were huge!

I found all of the staff to be extremely friendly and nothing was ever too much for them. I am really bad with remembering names so I wish I could name a few but everyone was amazing and made the whole stay perfect!

I attended a wedding here which was stunning, the bride and groom were treated like royalty and the weather was perfect. I also saw a few weddings, some on the beach and some on this little platform above the lake which was more private and equally stunning.

I have no faults for this hotel, nothing that they could do better. I would highly recommend coming here all inclusive, as when you eat every night they show you the bill and it would add up to a lot of money if you were not all inclusive.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to have beautiful views
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Amanda G

Dear Amanda G,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare!

The title to your comment says it all! Thank you so much for your beautiful review for us and we are really glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you found everything to your expectations.
Your review reinforces our belief that LUX* Belle Mare indeed has unique features to offer and together with our team, we can become one of the finest resort offerings in the world. Thank you so much for detailing all the various aspects which made your stay special and for recommending us whole - heartedly to all the readers of this forum.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon;

Reviewed 18 October 2017

LUX BELLE MARE

Traveling group of 4 adults.

Journey time from the Airport takes about 1hr 10mins.

On arrival we were greeted by the staff and given the usual refreshments.

We had requested rooms on a high level and next door to each other which was fulfilled.
They also made a special effort to cater for our early arrival, which was appreciated after our 13 hour journey. This allowed for a couple of hours sleep.

At 15.00 each day on arrival the staff will take you on a tour of the hotel which is very worth while.

The first week we were here the resort was at 70% and the second week 97%.
The first week was much better than the second week reasons below.

The staff are the making of this resort and we met some really lovely people.
Veena, Chica, Apveena, Stephen, Sebastien, really stood out for us, but all were very nice people.

The management are good and my special thanks to Raj the resident manager who I found to be a great ambassador at the resort, who would always try to put things right, to ensure your holiday was a good one.

The rooms were of high standard and the maid service very good.

Work/training needs improving in the kitchen areas at the Beach Rouge.

The first week - was very good and the 4 of us tried all the restaurants on the resort my score of each out of 10 (10 being high).

K Bar Food 10
Staff 8
Service 6

Mixe buffet style Food 10
Service N/A
Great choice of food which catered for all tastes.

Beach Rouge Food 8
Service 8
Great place to chill right by the beach.

Amani Food 8 average better choice in Mix
Staff 5
Service 5
Not attentive had to fill my own wine glass. bearing in mind you had to pay extra for this top class restaurant. We did not eat in here any more not value for your extra £.
Make sure you ask for the inclusive wine list if not you are charged extra.

Duck Food 10
Service 10
Service and food very good visited a couple of times, ambiance also very good.

The second week - Visited all apart from Amani.

The only difference to the above score is the Beach Rouge and K Bar these went downhill which went down hill with the extra Adults and a lot more kids to deal with.

Beach Rouge Food 5
Staff 7
Service 6
Examples -Under cooked food on 5 occasions. Raw fish, raw Beef Burger
-Over cooked food on 4 occasions
-Pizza came with a chicken bone in the meat.
-Ordered steak and chips the chips arrived after I had eaten the steak . That was after I chased the order.

K Bar Food 8
Staff 7
Service 3
Three of us placed an order for the same food, two came out one missing . When asked were mine was I was told that I would have to wait as they had run out and had to get some more from another unit. So I waited and waited, some 5 mins after others had finished their meal mine turned up, I was not a happy person.

On the Saturday night before we left I wanted to celebrate my wife’s 60th birthday, again I would like to thank Jenifer and Raj for making it a memorable one, dinner on the pond grounds with cake for the 4 of us.

To conclude its a great place ,the staff are brilliant ,the resort is well kept. But when you are spending this sort of money you would want it to be perfect and it was not , let down by some of the restaurants, standards that I would not except at home.
One final tip book all-inclusive otherwise you will spend a fortune.

Stayed: October 2017
1  Thank gisomac

Dear gisomac,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare!

Thank you for your detailed feedback for us on this forum. We are glad to read that we managed to create some golden memories for you to carry back home. We shall work on your constructive feedback regarding the service failures mentioned at some point. It is our endeavor to continually improve on our services and we are taking on board your feedback.

We truly believe LUX* Belle Mare is a home away from home for all our guests and that all our guests become a part of the LUX* family when they stay with us!

We look forward to welcoming you again for another great holiday in the tropics;

Warm island regards,

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

What an amazing place! Everyone is so helpful and friendly and determined to ensure you have a wonderful time. We came here as the amazing Lux grand gaube where we usually go was closed for renovation and were rather apprehensive but need not have been as there is the same Lux warm welcome and determination to ensure high standards in everything. Well done to all the team!

4  Thank 813Sue813

Dear 813Sue813,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare! Thank you for your beautifully worded review for us. You found your 'paradise' in us and we are really glad that the resort settings, the facilities and the team contributed in making your stay a memorable one. We look forward to welcoming you back soon;

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Our first visit to lux belle mare but not our last.
10 out of 10 for all categories, food, cleanliness, friendly staff everyday and all day long. Big shout out to the a few members of staff whom we got to know well and made our holiday special, Kevin, Jessica, rakesh, Jennifer, Rita.
if your looking for a wedding package in paradise look no further then Lux Belle Mare.

2  Thank Hammond1

Dear Hammond1,

Greetings from LUX* Belle Mare!

Thank you so much for your beautiful review for us. We are very happy to note that we stood up to and surpassed your expectations and right from your arrival experience and through your stay we could create some golden memories for you to remember us. I am also delighted to note that we have managed to make you now a LUX* follower and I would like to assure you that every stay of yours with us or with any of our sister properties would be a memorable experience. Please do let me know if I could be of any assistance for your future stays with LUX* and we look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful and unforgettable stay;

Also consider these accommodations in or near Belle Mare
25.4 km away
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 7 in Grand Gaube

Been to LUX* Belle Mare? Share your experiences!