La Pirogue is set in fabulous grounds and has a lovely long stretch of beach with plenty of umbrellas & sunbeds. The buffet restaurant can seat 100s at one sitting but sadly caters predominantly for families. There was a distinct lack of spicy creole cuisine possibly due to the numbers of children eating there. There are no adult only dining areas and the 2 bars - the Blue Bar and Beach Bar were also family orientated. Absolutely great if you are on a family holiday but not very romantic for couples, wanting to get away from it all.
The standard rooms are definitely worth booking over the superior rooms. Even thought they are set slightly further back from the beach, they are not much smaller, cheaper and you do not have all of the beach-goers wandering past. The upside is their seaview and comfy loungers. The geckos are welcome visitors as there are flies/mosquitos - wear deet repellant at night.
Sadly we did not get to use the pool which was in a lovely setting as this was also busy with children. More enjoyable sunbathing to be had on the beach and swimming in the gorgeous Indian Ocean. Reef shoes are a must as there is quite a bit of coral about and sea urchins are painful if stepped on.
Hot tip - buy your water, beer, crisps, wine from the supermarkets located outside of the hotel (turn left from outside the main gate - a short stroll away). Bottled water should be part of the Half Board package to avoid people falling ill from dehydration as you cannot drink the tap water and the hotel were charging 2€50 for a bottle.
Tipping - we decided to tip our friendly waitors, maids & mobile bar waitor individually at the end of our holiday rather than one large tip added to our final hotel bill. We were concerned that one large tip might not be distributed to the right people as there were so many staff. We tipped the porters on arrival & departure.
We would not recommend this hotel for a romantic break. There is a Kids & Teens Club which is brilliant if you are holidaying as a family and an extensive babysitting service too. The main 'international buffet' restaurant was good value if not a bit bland and the Paul & Virginie seafood restaurant expensive due to the weak £.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Renowned for its authenticity, La Pirogue, Mauritius is well versed in the art of Mauritian hospitality. This resort has enjoyed a solid reputation for romance and excellent service since its creation in 1976. With its warm atmosphere, wonderful beach, exquisite restaurants, lively bars, high-end Cinq Mondes Spa and the extensive recreational and sporting activities, this mythical hotel promises guests a memorable holiday. La Pirogue nestles in 14 hectares of magnificent tropical gardens where the fragrance of hibiscus and frangipani permeate the majestic coconut grove. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA and TripOnline SA so you can book your La Pirogue Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Pirogue Hotel Flic En Flac
- La Pirogue Hotel Wolmar
- La Pirogue Wolmar
- La Pirogue Mauritius Flic En Flac