US$242
Villa Quieta(Essaouira)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$112
US$109
All reviewsroof terraceannual festivalexcellent locationupgraded to a suitebreakfast is servedblue skytop flooran updatethe main squarewonderful roomhuge bathwatch the sunsetcentral courtyardcomfortable bedlovely riadsound of the wavesrooms are large
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

Summary

- Rude staff (actually got shouted at down the phone)
- Dishonest staff (will lie to you and your booking agent)
- Unhelpful staff (will ignore emails, I'm still waiting for a response - it's now been more than 3 weeks)

Detail

I used booking.com and entered the wrong email address. Totally my fault. Changed our schedule last minute, deciding not to stay in Essaouira for 2 nights and do a day trip instead. Tried to cancel, couldn't find the booking and assumed I didn't make one or it didn't go through. Again, appreciate this is my mistake. Saw the £180 bank charge and called the hotel asking for a refund...

I was very polite to the reservations manager and after I say it seems a little unfair to deduct the full amount, she starts screaming at me down the phone!? I really wasn't expecting a refund, at least for the full amount...I also wasn't expecting to be shouted at either.

Called booking.com 5 mins later and they called the hotel on my behalf. Booking tell me (10 mins later) that no one in the hotel speaks English!? I literally just spoke to the lady. And to be fair, her English was very good.

I don't want to go on and on about it, so to cut a long story short, there are better places out there. That's probably an understatement!

There are lots of good riads to choose from - avoid this one.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gdoc123
Reviewed 17 January 2017

First time in this riad. Met at the airport, and the taxi was met by a guy with a barrow when we reached the city. Straight to the riad, easy check in, and shown our room which was fine although I would not like to have stayed in it with young children due to the low bannister around the first-floor sleeping area. Breakfast on the roof terrace with great views (except when there was a mist on one day) was not entirely to our English taste, but was fine. The room we were in was very close to the ramparts, and workmen were removing the rendering on that, using hand tools, and were starting fairly early in the morning, so after a couple of days of not getting a lie-in, (we;re on holiday) I asked if we could be moved. The response was immediate. Within 15 minutes we were in another room on the other side of the building. No fuss, no bother. Really impressed. We would like to return.The rooms were clean and serviced daily. Alcohol is not available in the riad.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2016

We stayed here in Oct 2016. After a long drive from Casablanca and a long overseas flight we entered this riad expecting more. The courtyard garden is shabby and dying. The front staff are indifferent. When asked if they provided bottled water we were told no and if we wanted some we could buy from them but get it cheaper "out there". Meaning go out into dark alley , find a hole in the wall and get a bottle for 25 cents less?? Not so helpful. The rooom was large but the upholstery was shabby and need of updating. Overall depressing first impression of Morocco! The wait staff were very good. The roof top terrace is its only saving grace. I know there is better to be had in this interesting city.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

We booked this Riad on the back of the photos featured on the riad's own website. On arrival, it can only be described as a dimly lit mausoleum. There was literally no warmth or atmosphere. We were shown our room, extension of said mausoleum with a sarcophagus to bathe in, then invited for welcome mint tea on the terrace. Admittedly the view was good but the thought of having breakfast in a 'poly-tunnel' proved too much.

We thankfully used TripAdvisor to find alternative accommodation, checked out immediately and were more than happy to pay the one night penalty fee to avoid staying a minute longer.

We cannot understand how this place has got so many positive reviews.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Night_Owl_222
Reviewed 26 October 2016 via mobile

Very good location, central to shops and beach. Easy walk to a number of great restaurants. Staff were generally friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable though the decor was a bit tired. It should be noted that renovations were underway during our stay.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends