“Excellent ”

Palais des Remparts
Ranked #31 of 75 Hotels in Essaouira
Reviewed 5 April 2017 via mobile

Excellent service and friendly and helpful team.
The room was spacious and clean.
The breakfast could be better, but I gave 5stars anyway because most hotels have a problem getting the breakfast service right.

Stayed: April 2017

Reviewed 28 March 2017 via mobile

We have been traveling throughout Morocco,including Fez, Marrakech, Rabat, and now Essaouria and have received nothing but warm, friendly service and helpful staff, until now. Our driver, who had accompanied us this entire trip, has been staying with us in our accommodation on a rollout or extra bed. All of the hotels have been aware of this and have not had a problem until now. Remparts management refused to let him stay in the room because he wasn't listed on the original booking. I offered to register him and pay the additional amount of money to allow an additional guest and they simply refused and demanded that he take a separate room. My room had 2 beds in it and that wasn't going to work for the them for whatever reason. The staff kept referring to him as "boy" which is completely unprofessional and condescending. I've traveled to many parts of the world and this is some of the worst service I've seen and is simply unacceptable.

Nice hotel in exchange for unfriendly, unprofessional staff.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2017

My partner and I stayed in this hotel for one evening, it doesn't look much to the outside but is quite attractive inside. The restaurant was begin updated so I cannot comment on this, we were upgraded to a suite which looked exactly the same as the room we had booked, the room was comfortable enough and we had a brilliant view of the sea which was crashing against the rocks, which was awesome. I fed the seagulls out of my room window which was cool!

The hotel is comfy enough for a few nights and good value for money

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

Summary

- Rude staff (actually got shouted at down the phone)
- Dishonest staff (will lie to you and your booking agent)
- Unhelpful staff (will ignore emails, I'm still waiting for a response - it's now been more than 3 weeks)

Detail

I used booking.com and entered the wrong email address. Totally my fault. Changed our schedule last minute, deciding not to stay in Essaouira for 2 nights and do a day trip instead. Tried to cancel, couldn't find the booking and assumed I didn't make one or it didn't go through. Again, appreciate this is my mistake. Saw the £180 bank charge and called the hotel asking for a refund...

I was very polite to the reservations manager and after I say it seems a little unfair to deduct the full amount, she starts screaming at me down the phone!? I really wasn't expecting a refund, at least for the full amount...I also wasn't expecting to be shouted at either.

Called booking.com 5 mins later and they called the hotel on my behalf. Booking tell me (10 mins later) that no one in the hotel speaks English!? I literally just spoke to the lady. And to be fair, her English was very good.

I don't want to go on and on about it, so to cut a long story short, there are better places out there. That's probably an understatement!

There are lots of good riads to choose from - avoid this one.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gdoc123
Reviewed 17 January 2017

First time in this riad. Met at the airport, and the taxi was met by a guy with a barrow when we reached the city. Straight to the riad, easy check in, and shown our room which was fine although I would not like to have stayed in it with young children due to the low bannister around the first-floor sleeping area. Breakfast on the roof terrace with great views (except when there was a mist on one day) was not entirely to our English taste, but was fine. The room we were in was very close to the ramparts, and workmen were removing the rendering on that, using hand tools, and were starting fairly early in the morning, so after a couple of days of not getting a lie-in, (we;re on holiday) I asked if we could be moved. The response was immediate. Within 15 minutes we were in another room on the other side of the building. No fuss, no bother. Really impressed. We would like to return.The rooms were clean and serviced daily. Alcohol is not available in the riad.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple