Dar El Pacha
US$98
US$148
US$126
Agoda.com
Hotel Les Matins Bleus(Essaouira)(Great Value!)
US$46
US$39
Villa Maroc(Essaouira)
US$151
US$147
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Riad Al Madina(Essaouira)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$51
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Villa Gonatouki(Ghazoua)(Great Value!)
US$279
Travelocity
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2015

I could try describe my experience here; the hilarious nights, the crazy characters, the laid back feel, the excellent music. But words seem to diminish it in my mind.
All I can say is, what sort of person are you?
Are you a fussy person? Does your shower have to the right temperature? Does your bed need to be soft enough? Does the noise level need to be low enough? Then this isn't the place for you.
Are you an open minded person? Are you ready to get dragged out clubbing by two uncompromising girls? Are you willing to spend 5 minutes foraging round a fridge for your food to no avail but then have someone else offer you theirs? Are you comfortable with couples running off upstairs to have sex while the rooms are empty? Then this is your place.

There are no 'staff' and 'guests' here. There are just people, and as long as you treat people with respect, then you've found yourself a home away from home.
Ben, Jean, Soukaina, and Marie are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet if you just give them the chance.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2015

You were here during 'the birthday party'. Quite a big night yes!
I will say thank you for the review though I am not sure it is quite fair and it sounds really wild or something!
We are a place that can be many things to many people and depending on the kind of guests we can have a good time here. I am not sure about the guests going to rooms for what you say but I suppose as long as they are adults and that they have paid for the room then I can't argue though not sure the need for mention here but never mind!
It also almost sounds like we don't have hot showers and comfy beds which I would refute but I am sure you are just wording things in such ways and I know you are giving us a good review ultimately so thanks very much. Hope to see you again one day.

Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

Awesome time in Dar El Pacha!!There is a nice energy here! The place is so confortable, spacious, very clean; the stuff is conformed by Lovely people, and it is located in a good point, in the heart of Essaouria. Don't miss it! For sure I will visit it next time again!

Stayed: September 2015
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2015

Great having you with us! Always nice to have a Uruguayan here!.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

Amid the plethora of mundane, repetitive hostel experiences, my stay at Dar El Pacha was different for all the right reasons. Ben and Jean are proud of their hostel (as they should be!) having started from scratch to create a social space resplendent in appearance and full of heart, soul and identity.

Excellent facilities are a given (free wifi and pool table, hot showers, laundry services etc) and the rooms are affordable (Ben was even kind enough to offer me a reduced rate the longer I stayed). Oh, and a beautiful terrace.

Ben is a fascinating and likeable character with an exceptional taste in film and music; indeed, you will often see him behind the scenes curating the evening’s playlist to match the atmosphere each night. Jean is also a gem (hi Jean!) who is always around for a game of cards or a friendly chat. She works tremendously hard to keep things clean and make sure things run smoothly. Not to forget the two hosts Maria and Souukaina who are so easygoing that I ended up hanging out with them day and night (we basically lived in each other’s pockets for two weeks). *** [Dedication: Maria even sprinted to the bus station with seconds to spare to pass me my laptop after I had somehow unknowingly left it behind - I can't thank her enough].

New friends, new memories, and overall a truly unique hostelling experience... Dar El Pacha became a home away from home. Till next time

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2015

Your kind words mean a lot to all of us,
Until next time....

Reviewed 11 September 2015

Very laid back environment where you can just be yourself. The two girls hosting were friendly, funny, and surprisingly good at pool. Honestly could've spent an eternity there just sitting and talking and chilling with all the fascinating characters. If you wish you'd been born in the 60s, don't. Just come to hotel Dal el Pasha

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2015

Nice one. Yes the girls are also being trained on the pool table.
Nobody represents me without being able to pot a few balls!

Reviewed 11 September 2015 via mobile

The room itself was nice and well worth the low price. Their workers were 2 young girls who were a little unwelcoming and obnoxious. The bathrooms had floor to ceiling fungus. It's worth the cheap price if you can deal with this. Jean and Ben the owners were lovely.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo

Thanks for taking the time to review and now I will attempt to turn your seemingly bad review into a good one with just a little bit of extra info.
The green around the tiles in the showers is a cleaning product that took Jean a very long time and a lot of hard work to do. If we had used a yellow colour then would you think it was custard? Or if red, blood?
We would not live with mold like that or expect to host guests...
You are I think the second or third person to make this mistake but not to worry..

Next - The girls being unwelcoming and obnoxious. The last thing they are is unwelcoming and they were not with you when I saw them play cards with you and go out to the supermarket with you. Obnoxious is often a subjective judgement call. They are actually still wondering about one of the girls in your group blowing he nose on a tissue and then putting into one of the staffs face and telling them to smell it and then just walking off. All the guests that are still here from that day have a laugh about that!
Anyway they are here to socialise and I am delighted with their contribution here on that and other respects and as I also find if you cannot be friendly too much with somebody and feel a bit aloof, it is usually because of an unwelcoming attitude coming from the their side and often I let go and allow that party to get on with things together as that is what they wish to do it seems, and if they don't talk and make me also feel at ease then I believe the two way communication is not happening, and is extra hard work than it is to talk to people who come with a nice friendly and open manner. Judge lest not be judged, pots and kettles etc... ;)

Thanks for calling me lovely as it often swings from that to God knows what from some of those that wander through.

And finally - The party that left this review stayed beyond their initial booking and extended their time here and nobody put a gun to their head. Even me!