See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 January 2016 via mobile

Right in the heart of the medina. Clean comfortable room. If you are keen to socialise with other travellers and not lock yourself away this is the place for you. Good base for exploring the town. Great terrace and common areas. Nearby food outlets and good shopping.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Ben M, Emperor at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2016

I wish I had been there during the time of your stay!

Reviewed 1 December 2015

Ben, the owner is wonderful. He is very friendly and happy to help. Unfortunately the two girls working in the hostel are absolutely miserable. From the moment we walked in they were extremely unfriendly, never smiled, never even said Hi. We have stayed in hostels all over the world and we found the staff besides Ben to be the unfriendliest we have ever experienced. This hostel is perfect is you are young, smoke a lot and like to stay up very late. They play the music until 2am and it is impossible to sleep. It was freezing cold all day and night. If you are young, love to smoke (the place including your room stinks of smoke), stay up all night without sleep and don't care about cleanliness than this hostell is for you. The hostel is cheap and is good if you are on a very tight budget. Its unfortunate that Ben has those 2 girls working for him. He could make this place really good if he hired polite staff and allowed smoking in the terrace only. We wanted to sit and relax in the common area but were unable due to the disgusting smell of smoke.

Room Tip: rooms smell like smoke and no windows
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2015

Yeah yeah just attack all of us and tell lies. This is the place to do it and I do not care.
There will be no staffing change as they are great and this little campaign is outrageous but part of the nature of things and the days when it might have changed anything in reality are gone as I sit here in December really quite busy, and am encouraged by the majority of people that come and get on with the staff and don't try to take over the place.
Now...What did Bill Hicks say about non-smokers?
That's a joke, we are generally ok on the smoking issue as i always have the front door open and the riad is well ventilated from above, but being colder at that time meant that at night the door was closed - but what gets me is that these things always come up later.
Say something to me and I am the kind of manager that will adapt things on the spot for those that are requiring such things for their comfort, but in Newcastle they have a saying "Shy bairns get nowt!"
It's not nonsense like it sounds :D
Anyway onwards and upwards!

Reviewed 30 November 2015

Awful place and poor view of a true hostel business meaning. Smelly, moldy, bad beds and sofas, dirty showers and not a good atmosphere to enjoy with others travellers.
Ben, the owner, rude and childish, and his mother, who live there, don´t care about other people but themselves, creating a false english pub atmosphere, with very loud music and a noisy pool table, that make sleep a true dare. It is really sad to listen the mother complain all the time about morocco, the sunny days, the food, the people, everything! Go back to UK!
By the other hand Soukaima and Marie, the staff create a singular party hostel mood in everybody who there, making people enjoy the time and forget the cheap place you are. I wish the best to those two younglings, hoping they find a better place to hang out!

Room Tip: Find other hostel
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled solo

This person has decided to attack us (me the manager mainly) because of one reason only:
He made us shut down our system as he dossed around on the setee all day by blaring music from his personal computer.
I decided that it is not regular for guests to take over the entertainment system and basically decided to do a full sound check with the hotel system.
He was unhappy about my decision to do this and so came and complained.
I was not available to talk and could not hear him over the music anyway.
Being dismissed and being full of pride he has decided to now attack and get revenge or whatever.
Based on the other things he has done since this time I only feel vindicated to stand up to this bully and not allow the threat of a bad review make him now able to dictate to me.
He had (before this review) already proven that in my mind and now this, but in all honesty I do not care and in the future will only end up telling guests about him and have a good laugh knowing I was right to maintain my tough stance, and regardless of anything he will always be an insignificant blot on the Dar El Pacha story.
We have so many happy guests I can easily generate loads of good reviews and this campaign by he and his stooges is meaningless and why under threat of being attacked here, I always just laugh!
For the record this person made a fake booking on a hostel site just to leave a bad review there, but he does not understand knowing we made him so angry only gives us satisfaction and it really does not hurt us seeing as we get so many who are suited to the place and complimentary, and the truth is that having decided on arrival he would stay for a week there was no problem other than a personal one with myself. Whoop-dee-doooo!

Reviewed 17 September 2015

I could try describe my experience here; the hilarious nights, the crazy characters, the laid back feel, the excellent music. But words seem to diminish it in my mind.
All I can say is, what sort of person are you?
Are you a fussy person? Does your shower have to the right temperature? Does your bed need to be soft enough? Does the noise level need to be low enough? Then this isn't the place for you.
Are you an open minded person? Are you ready to get dragged out clubbing by two uncompromising girls? Are you willing to spend 5 minutes foraging round a fridge for your food to no avail but then have someone else offer you theirs? Are you comfortable with couples running off upstairs to have sex while the rooms are empty? Then this is your place.

There are no 'staff' and 'guests' here. There are just people, and as long as you treat people with respect, then you've found yourself a home away from home.
Ben, Jean, Soukaina, and Marie are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet if you just give them the chance.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2015

You were here during 'the birthday party'. Quite a big night yes!
I will say thank you for the review though I am not sure it is quite fair and it sounds really wild or something!
We are a place that can be many things to many people and depending on the kind of guests we can have a good time here. I am not sure about the guests going to rooms for what you say but I suppose as long as they are adults and that they have paid for the room then I can't argue though not sure the need for mention here but never mind!
It also almost sounds like we don't have hot showers and comfy beds which I would refute but I am sure you are just wording things in such ways and I know you are giving us a good review ultimately so thanks very much. Hope to see you again one day.

Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

Awesome time in Dar El Pacha!!There is a nice energy here! The place is so confortable, spacious, very clean; the stuff is conformed by Lovely people, and it is located in a good point, in the heart of Essaouria. Don't miss it! For sure I will visit it next time again!

Stayed: September 2015
Ben M, Manager at Dar El Pacha, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2015

Great having you with us! Always nice to have a Uruguayan here!.